Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #181
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
I've been in the boot since my last post...June 4, was supposed to be non weight bearing until the 18th (tomorrow) but have been able to get about in the boot with no crutches for the last couple of days..

I have 'forgotten' how to walk..so limping around with a straight leg..have to remember to bend my knee...all feels a bit weird. Leg not sore at the fracture point, but the achillies is pretty sore and my whole leg tires easily..

I wear the boot most of the day, take it off for bed, bathing etc..I take if off if I'm just wearing my slippers at home, because I know the terrain.....

I sort of felt I should be able to walk and get on with life, but by the feel of it, I have a number of months to go..I have physio therapy starting this week, although I have had the stretchy tube to use on my foot for the last week..

The surgical wound has healed really well, and will thank the surgeon when I see him in a couple of weeks. Still some impressive swelling...looking still alot like a 'kankle'..but is much improved over the last week..

So as I write this..it is exactly 6 weeks since injury..to be walking, in little to no pain already, especially after a significant fracture, dislocation and surgery, I realise that I have been very fortunate...

L0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #182
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,482
I feel pretty good got the all clear from the surgeon-moved some bowling alley for benches at work very heavy stuff
put my full weight plus the weight of the wood and I could feel that ankle was a little weaker than the good one.still lots of swelling at night, compression socks were my friend for awhile, everyday gets better
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #183
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Exactly a year since my tim/fib crush fracture. Had a second surgery (Titanium nail, bone graft ) due to non union of the tibia fracture in late January. Physio is down to once every three weeks. She told me the foot/ankle swelling will last about another year. Learning to push off with the ball of the foot to regain a natural gait. Ankle supination is still stiff. Some days are better than others but the progress has been noticeable over the last month or so.
Hang in there.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #184
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cky View Post

I sort of felt I should be able to walk and get on with life, but by the feel of it, I have a number of months to go..I have physio therapy starting this week, although I have had the stretchy tube to use on my foot for the last week..

The surgical wound has healed really well, and will thank the surgeon when I see him in a couple of weeks. Still some impressive swelling...looking still alot like a 'kankle'..but is much improved over the last week..

So as I write this..it is exactly 6 weeks since injury..to be walking, in little to no pain already, especially after a significant fracture, dislocation and surgery, I realise that I have been very fortunate...
It's been 6 months since my injury, and I still get the swollen ankle. I expect to have that for at least a year, maybe more.

Be sure to go to your PT. It helped me a lot with my walking, and I also got specific exercises to help strengthen muscles that had been out of use for 12 weeks. Walking on my own for the first few times without a crutch felt weird.

But it is true, although it's not a rapid recovery, it's great to be walking and active again. Every day does get better.
Eyes Shut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #185
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Thank you for this thread PETDoc and all the others who have volunteered their stories & experience with this injury.

I too am now a reluctant member of the titanium club.

Bad Trimaelleolar subluxation (fractured Tibia, Fibula & Talus) 12 days ago. Still in the original compression splint from surgery. I have my two week, post op tomorrow where we will X-ray and (hopefully) get me out of this and into a boot. I really really want to take a shower!

I too wish I was wearing a Sidi Disco, ApineStar tech10 etc style MX boot. I was wearing a softer Gearne Adv dual sport boot. Hindsight hindsight hindsight....

PETDoc, how has your recovery thus far been?

Ps... I went down on a fully loaded KLR650. Surely not a giant 1200 but, man oh man, I wish I wouldve been riding a TW200 instead
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #186
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post

Bad Trimaelleolar subluxation (fractured Tibia, Fibula & Talus) 12 days ago. Still in the original compression splint from surgery. I have my two week, post op tomorrow where we will X-ray and (hopefully) get me out of this and into a boot. I really really want to take a shower!
I was in a splint for 2 weeks, a cast for 4 weeks, then I finally got a boot. If you end up in a cast next, instead of a boot, you might want one of these:
http://store.drycorp.com/SearchResul...FQZ5hwodl1wdig

I used it for the whole time with the cast and it was really great to be able to shower and not deal with trying to secure plastic bags over the cast!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #187
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
PETDoc, how has your recovery thus far been?
It's been 8 months since fracturing my ankle. My left ankle is still quite large (vs right ankle) and stiff in the morning, but it no longer swells. I have to flex it a bit before going downstairs for the first time in the AM. Once I am moving around it feels fine. "Fine" being a little strange if I think about it, but not painful and walking any distance is no problem. My bicycling accident 3 1/2 months after fracturing my ankle has (temporarily) set back my ankle recovery. Because of my limited mobility from the bicycle accident my ankle seems to have tightened up a tad. Hardware comes off in November and my shoulder should be healed enough to go back to some regular bicycling. I'm hoping that after November things continue to improve and my ankle finally achieves its pre-fracture size. I realize the latter may be a several year process.Things were a bit scary in the beginning, but by 3 1/2 months post-fracture I was riding my bicycle the 24 mile round trip to my PT sessions. So keep the faith it will work out.
PS- I've been reading about all the rider injuries at the Tour de France and there is no question in my mind bicycle riding is inherently far more dangerous than motorcycling.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #188
Drummer
BMW/Sonor

Oddometer: 89
I fractured my left ankle when my bike went down due to gravel. It was a slow speed accident but my ankle got caught between the weight of my bike and the ground. A metal plate and 13 screws later (plus two years) and I am fine. As I recall the timeline it was something like this. Accident, two weeks before the operation (waiting on reduced swelling), then a cast for six weeks, followed by the boot for another six weeks. At that point I did the smartest thing I could have done - insisted on Physical Therapy. I did that for a month, twice a week. Without it, I would have much less movement than I do and right now, It is almost 99% back. Once in a great while do I feel some stiffness, but that is it.

DO PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

I would say after the first four months things were okay, not great, but okay. I stopped wearing the compression sock around five months and started back at the gym around six months. I continued with doing my PT exercises on my own. One year after the operation my family and I did the Disney parks in Florida and I ran my wife's legs off. I mention it because A - she is in shape and B - while there I started taking with a person who too had the same type of break for other reasons. Her accident was four years before and she did not do PT and was still limping.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #189
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Drummer,
Did you have the plate and screws removed? If so how long after the repair was that done and did you see an improvement in function, ankle size, etc... after removal of the hardware?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #190
Drummer
BMW/Sonor

Oddometer: 89
Petdoc,
No, I have never had the hardware removed. It is an option, but things are working and I do not want to suffer any more "down time" in recoup. There is very little if any noticeable things with the hardware in. Sometimes I know it is there, most of the time not at all.

I will say, when the cast comes off don't be shocked but your leg will be much smaller and there will be no muscle left. You will need to build it back slowly. Also, your skin will be all dry and flaky so get a good "repairing" moisturizer. It shocked the H*** out of me when it first came off. One of the biggest things about the recovery is, your body takes time to heal and here's the kicker - it really isn't age dependent. It will be six months before you don't really think about your ankle and a year before you truly feel it is almost all better. Now that will not stop your activities, I was riding four months from the day of the accident. But true functioning takes time.

When you start to ride again, you will have more mental things to conquer than physical. Little things like as an ex dirt bike rider, I will put my foot down to right the bike if I hit gravel in a corner. (as an example) Your mind stops you from doing that on the side where your ankle is healing. It is odd, but it happens. The best thing that happened to me in regards to riding was a friend grabbed his cones, had me ride with him to a parking lot, and do a course around the cones. Gave me a great deal of confidence back - two years later I did the motomark course I wrote about and I feel like I know the bike.

One last thing that just came to mind - CRUTCHES SUCK!!! I almost fell breaking other body parts due to those damn things on numerous occasions. Be careful with those POS devices.

Sorry - I just reread your original message and saw the date - you've already experienced what I typed. I just hope you did PT and are exercising the ankle (more than just walking). Full stretches are key to functionality and that is what PT does - also exercising with weights really helps. I currently do 350 pound squats and 115 pound toe lifts at the gym and believe that those exercises have helped a tremendous amount.

Drummer screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 04:40 AM
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #191
snobear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Second time around

Unfortunatly I have more input for this thread than I want. I broke both my ankles approx 11 months apart. July 10, 2011 broke my right fib, rotational fracture in a slower speed highside on some wooded trails. I was able to ride out the bike 10 miles and get to the hospital. Initial visit they put me in a temporary cast till two days later when the doc set the ankle. The temporary cast and tensor wrap around my ankle was very painfull with the swelling. The next cast was left on for six weeks and when I went in for an assesment he removed the cast and got me to try walking. This was surprisingly easy and the doc was amazed at how well I was able to go. I put on my runners and left the hospital to go see the PT. She assesed my range of motion and said great you need no futher followup unless you have problems. I did not and thought well I am pretty lucky, besides a little swelling for the first six months I really forgot I had broken the ankle.
Fast forward to June 8th 2012. I had a slow speed down when my front wheel locked up do to mud. My ankle just happened to lay across a depressed truck rut in the trail and the pannier fell across my left ankle breaking both the tib and fib this time.
Ambulance to the city and they set it, put on a half cast and sent me home to wait for surgery. Pain was not bad at this point. I went in for surgery the next day where they put a plate and numerous screws on the fib and two screws in the tib.
I was in a half cast and sent home for two weeks, now the pain was much worse and lots of swelling so took painkillers as needed mostly at night. Went in for my two week checkup where they removed the stitches and gave me a boot with instructions to bear very little weight if any for the next six weeks. I can take the boot off if sitting around or showering so that is a great bonus after being in the cast. I was also told to flex my foot to retain range of motion when out of the boot. The dock says it is healing well at this point. I am now into my fifth week with the boot but still having lots of swelling in the heat and if I do not keep the foot elevated. I find that the heat is the biggest contributor to my swelling. Ice packs definetly help and in the mornings the swelling is generally down a lot. No pain killers for the last couple of weeks now but I have a couple of annoying spots, one at my second toe and one below my ankle bone where it will get like a burning tingling sensation periodically. I would assume a pinched nerve as both spots tend to act up at the same time even though they are far apart on my foot. I go back on Aug 24th for another assesment and hopefully permision to do weight bearing.

Ones priorities change, the first time I broke the ankle I looked at it as an unlucky event and it will not happen again. 11 months later and a second worse break and now I am deciding how to carry forward with my riding. I am going to give up the backcountry goat trails and stick to the graveled roads and logging roads. I am 54 and it is a decision I need to make for the future. Hiking and walking my dogs is far more inportant to me than motorcycling even though I intend to do both but the biking at a much lower risk level than before.

My biggest goal/concern now is getting my mobility back to be able to enjoy the back country hunting, fishing and hiking.

I happened upon this thread this morning and have to say it has been very helpful for my outlook to the future and thanks to all that have posted there experiences.
snobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #192
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oh man, snobear, sorry to hear about your injury! It's hard enough dealing with one break, but a second one 11 months later....

Breaking a leg/ankle does give one a deeper appreciation for mobility and ability to walk and hike. Hope you heal up well.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #193
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

An article on bone growth and alcohol consumption http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/190.pdf
I was a teetotaler for the first 6 weeks of my ankle fracture, but hadn't been so conservative with my clavicular fracture. Unfortunately the clavicle is not healing as quickly as my ankle did and I'm now using a bone stimulator (Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound) once a day on my shoulder. Very impressive publications on how much LIPU accelerates bone healing.
I'm back to being almost a teetotaler, but have to confess I've had a beer twice in the last 4 weeks. There are, however, publications citing moderate beer consumption improves bone growth due to its silicon content; pale ales having the highest concentration, wheat beers the lowest.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #194
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
................non-smoker too............
Smoking does terrible things to bone healing. My mother told both me and my brother if we ever smoked we would die because she would kill us! God bless her, neither of us every started smoking.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #195
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Update

Well, it's been almost exactly 8 months since my accident. I saw the orthopedic surgeon and got x-rays and all looks good and healed. I have a bump on my leg from the bone callus (where the fracture heals), and about a quarter-size depression in my leg where the bones were sticking out. All my hardware is still in place and so far have not given me any serious problems. My knee is a little stiff, but has not stopped me from doing any walking, hiking, or bicycling. I have a bit of a limp, but it's slowly improving.

How are all the rest of you doing in titanium-club land? Hope you are all healing up well!