User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #31
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
ankle

Broke my right ankle in 98. No surgery or pins required. Did have the the cast & crutches 4 weeks, no weight on it, then the boot. Hurt like the dickens seemed like forever then it didn't.
I did do everything the Dr said as far as no weight for so long, minimum activity, keep it propped etc, etc, etc. etc
Every once in a while when its cold or wet I might get a twinge or two.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #32
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Dave,

Out of concern I tell you about a guy on the Yahoo XR605R forum. I was looking at the pictures he posted on the forum. He shows his swollen ankle and his wounds, Then I see a nub at the knee....I read more and find out he crashed, smacked his leg pretty good then 2 months later the doctor said he wasn't getting circulation due to nerve damage and they amputated his leg at the knee.
I have had a few animals with limb fractures that also sustained permenant nerve damage. The loss of limb function and tactile sensation caused them to drag the leg, eventually necessitating an amputation even though the fracture was repaired.
I suspect the guy's problem that led to an amputation was either damaged vasculature or the development of a subsequent thrombus. Thus far my existing vasculature seems adequate, but I'm certainly at risk for both local clot formation and subsequent thromboembolic disease; same thing that happens to a few people who fly long distances, but with different predisposing factors.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #33
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Seems to me somebody would've invented a breathable (dryable) cast material by now. Just sayin'....
I believe all the cast padding and bandages under the fiberglass shell is the issue and not the casting material itself.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #34
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sleeping in a cast vs. a splint was wonderful. For the first time I was able to roll over to either side and onto my stomach without eliciting severe pain. Because of the foot elevation issue I still spend the vast majority of my time on my back, but it is relaxing to be able to periodically roll over onto one's side.
My wife has been great researching all the ways to adjust and use crutches correctly, and miscellaneous other things that might benefit my comfort/healing. One thing she found that is fantastic is a Cast Cozy http://castcozy.com/Castcozy/Home.html I give this my 5 star ranking. Anyone who is sporting a cast with exposed toes will be forever grateful if you send them one of these. I could attach all my MOA rally pins to the toe if desired.
I found a good inclusive article on the nutritional aspects related to bone fracture repair http://www.betterbones.com/bonefract...eedhealing.pdf Many of the items discussed have been mentioned in contributions to this thread.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
craigv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
cast cover

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your accident.
Being a skydiver for the last 20 yrs, I've had a cpl lower leg breaks.
I use a cast cover for showering, it has a huge opening with a very soft & pliable rubber seal that you pull up over the cast to bare skin, then push back down a little to form a nice seal to your skin. Mine is very similar to this one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2002964...Types&var=sbar

Also, I make sure not to rush recovery & to optimize my rehab.
Stay off foot as long & as much as possible until told to use it.
I've had friends thru the years give lots of advice for healing as well (although I've never investigated these, I've broken both lower legs twice & have a little hardware with about 95% recovery, now it's been so long I don't even remember what the last 5% felt like)

Fresh pineapple (especially the core)
Good Yougurt, with fresh fruits & almonds
Berry Greens (product I mix with water or apple juice, ph balances the blood & promotes healing?)
No alcohol
No smoking of anything

As soon as the cast comes off, & with doc's permission I go straight to daily Epsom salt soaks. My technique is to use a kitchen type garbage pail (new) and to make the bath using a physical therapist receipe:
Boil a large pot of distilled water
add epsom until completely saturated, as in the salt crystals no longer break down & get absorbed, you'll be amazed at how much salt the water will take in.
Cool, fill pail with cold solution with foot inside to avoid overfilling, add Ice
Soak as long as possible every day
Solution can be reused multiple times, you'll know when to make more

Good luck, & +1 on GOOD BOOTS
craigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #36
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

My accident and multiple posts to this thread have given me a lot to think about regarding suitable boots for my future on-road riding. I had finally graduated to a pair of Daytona Road Star GTX boots and have really liked them, but realize they would do nothing to stop a similar accident from occurring. A couple persons have posted they wear MX boots for on-road riding. Virtually all of my riding consists of long cross country solo road trips, mostly on back roads vs highways, and I don't want another ankle fracture. I'll start looking at some MX boots.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
I believe all the cast padding and bandages under the fiberglass shell is the issue and not the casting material itself.
Well then somebody oughta provide dryable or disposable padding & bandages in a repackable cast.
It seems like a common, yet solvable, problem. Kinda like the cast cozy, it ain't rocket science. Just sayin'
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #38
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
I havn't broken bones, but I managed to turn a foot round 180 degrees one day. If I'd had decent boots I'd have dislocated a knee as well ;), so I'm not sure "great boots" is the whole answer here.

Riding the bike wasn't a problem, but I learned pretty quickly to give table tennis a miss for a year or so.

Three years later and consistent and progressive exercise and the ankle was 100% - but it did take time. My experience suggests that the trick is - don't injure it again, how you achieve that - your call.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #39
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
M A couple persons have posted they wear MX boots for on-road riding. Virtually all of my riding consists of long cross country solo road trips, mostly on back roads vs highways, and I don't want another ankle fracture. I'll start looking at some MX boots.
i think good mx boots reduce your chances of fractures a lot, but not completely. i must admit even the heavy duty oxtars didnt prevent four fractured metatarsals in my foot a while back when the DR slammed down on my foot. but i figure the foot could have been completely crushed in a cheaper set of boots...

on the whole ATGATT theme, our mob have been pushing knee guards too when dirt noobs join us. had a guy show up the other day for an gentle beginner's ride in jeans and a pair of work boots and i suggested he should have at least a pair of cheap mx boots and set of knee guards for trail riding. said he'd get some in the next few months.

thirty seconds into the ride he dropped the bike and had a badly scraped shin from knee to ankle. then some riders have been wearing gear like that for 30 years and never had a scratch on their lower legs. guess it's luck of the draw...

hope you are back into things again soon, petdoc.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #40
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,478
Here's a good thread to look at: I Want A Pair Of Boots That Do It All !!!

Alpinestar Tech 7 about $300

Sidi Discovery Rain about $300 too.

I had the Tech 7s for dirt biking then got the Discovery's for riding the GSA on the street. You can smack some tree stumps and downed logs pretty hard in the Tech 7s and not get injured. My friend with bad knees thinks a strong boot will transfer the damage up to his knee so he prefers wimpy boots.

Look at some trials riding boots too.

Quote:
Been riding on-road for 45 years and decided to take an off-road course to sharpen my on-road skills; form of cross-training.
Dave
This place http://trialstrainingcenter.com/ is about 150 miles away. Trials 101 is good cross training. It is motorcycle physics.

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 03:26 PM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #41
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv View Post
Being a skydiver for the last 20 yrs, I've had a cpl lower leg breaks.
I use a cast cover for showering, it has a huge opening with a very soft & pliable rubber seal that you pull up over the cast to bare skin, then push back down a little to form a nice seal to your skin. Mine is very similar to this one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2002964...Types&var=sbar
My wife had already purchased a XeroSox (http://www.xerosox.com/), but the opening was too tight to stretch over my splinted ankle without inducing severe pain. Once I got the cast it was no longer an issue. I've taken my first shower with the XeroSox. It works as advertised.
My next hurdle will be to recover to a point where I can bear some weight on the leg with the broken ankle. Now I shower seated on a wooden stool, only standing for a brief time on my good leg.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #42
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Been lurking here Petdoc. Had a break on the ankle in '90. Turned out all the damage was to the cartilage and probably an undisplaced plafond fracture causing the damage. After the second surgery I started my own rehab before I could do anything with the bad ankle. Expect a lot of fatigue on your good side. The non-weight bearing can cause some problems there. Keep it in good shape doing ankle stability type exercises. Then follow a careful regime all the way up the good leg to the back. Overuse can cause problems due to geometry changes. Not long after the fourth debridment surgery, I developed a tailbone rubbing on the pelvis problem.

Use the time on your back to work your abs and upper body. Working out the upper leg on the bad side is also doable depending on the injury. Balance games on crutches can be fun if, you have good balance and don't push it too far. Helps the abs.
Basically minimize the atrophy to just your broken ankle as much as possible.

Dr. Weil (sp?) had some information on natural anti-inflammatory nutrition I found during one of my post-op periods. I don't think it hurt.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #43
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
i think good mx boots reduce your chances of fractures a lot, but not completely. i must admit even the heavy duty oxtars didnt prevent four fractured metatarsals in my foot a while back when the DR slammed down on my foot. but i figure the foot could have been completely crushed in a cheaper set of boots...
I may be over reacting right now, but when looking at my boot flopped over knowing I had broken my ankle the reality of "this doesn't just happen to other people" sank in quickly. I've been riding 45 years and my worst injury has been a broken rib. This occurred when I was astride my idling GS. I bent over to adjust the right throttle body setting and inadvertantly popped the transmission into 1st gear. Bike lurched forward and I was thrown to the pavement.
During my adult motorcycling life I've always religiously adhered to ATGATT wearing jackets with spinal, elbow and shoulder padding, pants with knee and hip padding, suitable fullface helmet, gloves and road boots. I now fully understand the difference between a boot for on-road riding and one used for off-road riding. I'm not sure if an MX boot would have saved my ankle, but I think it would have. When healed I'm not sure I'll pursue off-road riding other than gravel or dirt roads, but do not want to give up my cross country travels and very much want to take all reasonable precautions to prevent ever breaking my ankle again.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #44
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
My friend with bad knees thinks a strong boot will transfer the damage up to his knee so he prefers wimpy boots.
that could be true in some types of accidents but i figure that is just a good reason to add knee braces into the equation. just the past year i suddenly found minor offs were damaging my knees and they weren't coming completely good, so belatedly got two sets of knee braces, a heavy duty set of evs webs for dirt riding, then a more comfortable mid-range set of evs rs8 braces for adventure/road riding (although don't recommend the rs8s, they've turned out to be pretty flimsy).

some guys argue this then transfers force to potentially breaking the femur, or if the brace connects with your boot to reduce rotational injuries then can just break the neck of the femur instead... possibly true in some situations but at least good mx boots and knee braces are reducing the chances of injury in a lot of offs.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #45
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,165
Accupuncture works nice for pain management. Egoscue PT works well for returning your body to its proper structure. When we have an injury we tend to compensate for that injury and it screws up our posture. I make my living training horses and have had many injuries over the years (surgeries as well). I was also a critical care nationally registered paramedic before training horses, so I have a little medical knowledge, too. Shoot me a PM if you need more information.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote