User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #76
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 262
Eek

Back in 1991 I broke my ankle on a Killer KX 80, I was 29 yrs old been riding since I was 8.. doin a lil wheelie bike drifted to the side went down with my foot under bike. pulled foot out & it was turned all the way around backward's OUCH!!!!! Amazing what a body does in shock..Just knew the next 6 month's were gone, Long road lots of pain & therapy later able to go back to work.I was more less walk with a broken ankle pain was awful, my employer was a butt about leave of abscense.. With 1 screw in ankle,pain was bad.After a month or so had to get a leave of abscence more surgrey. #2 Surgrey have to remove screw put in 7 screws & plate Fused ankle, Sold my old 81 YZ 125 bad move there waiting it back now for the history of bike, 1st year watercooled & last year of monoshock. thought my riding day's were done....Fast Forward to 2006 got back on the bike's bought a 06 KLR 650,Rode fine and enjoy riding & living it up..Dec 08 bought a new 07 KTM 950 Super Enduro having a awesome time on this Big Bad Bike.....The most pain I had was the nerves reconnecting felt like Shock therapy , Had to tell my self out loud it does'nt hurt but oh it did.... Have a Speedy recovery don't give up on the bike's ,, Ride to Live Live to Ride
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #77
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Yesterday, 46 days post fracture/surgery, I saw a physical therapist. He took numerous measurements of my ankle with both a tape measure and a goniometer. The measurements included the degree of flexion, extension, and medial and lateral rotation. The two measurements with the largest deviation from normal were the medial rotation, 15 degrees shy of normal, and flexion, 25% shy of normal. He advised me to purchase some compression socks that come up to the knee and provide 30-40 mm Hg pressure. He told me one issue with my kind of fracture was that the inflammation from the fracture/plate prevents the distal fibula from moving slightly back when walking, thereby creating an abnormal gait.
A heating pad was placed on my ankle for 10 minutes then I was shown a series of 7 exercises that I was instructed to repeat 3 times a day. The only exercise that elicited pain was one where I placed the ball of my foot on a step and using body weight held my ankle in flexion for 15 seconds, repeated 5 times with a straight knee and again with a flexed knee. The pain was both a dull ache from the Achilles tendon and the front of my ankle, and a very sharp pain from the point where the screw was inserted in my medial malleolus. Surprisingly the fibula was pain free.
After the exercises were complete an electrical stimulator was attached at 4 points on my ankle and my ankle was wrapped in a cold pack for 10 minutes.
Ankle's a litter sorer this morning, but manageable. Heel still hurts like hell. Onward!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #78
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,447
Sounds like you have a pretty good PT there.

Keep that good attitude.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #79
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 262
I came up 3/4 of an inch short on the left leg from the crash & broken ankle, Sound's like you got a lot better attention & care for you in the electric shock therapy & thing's going for you, Keep on keepin On....
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #80
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246
You can find those socks on line and some bicycle shops carry them. Check here.

Also lots of stuff on line for plantar fasciitis devices and in the back of running magazines. I have used something like this. You sleep in it and it keeps the muscle stretched at night.
Click here.

I bet your PF is just because you are all out of whack from the injury. Tight hamstrings, which most men have, are also a culprit.

Keep healing.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #81
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,676
I wrecked my V-Strom November 25th and had a tibula, fibula break along with ankle injury.Had the operation to put plates and pins in my leg.The doc removed the stitches this week and right leg is still non weight bearing.The swelling in my ankle has gone down a lot but you can tell it has a long way to go.I have not been to PT yet as my next appointment is for x rays and maybe they can let me know about weight bearing.I have been prescribed oxycodones and have been keeping foot elevated as much as possible heal fast and good luck.

Douglas Mac Arthur
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #82
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Patriot4570,
I hope all goes well. A couple of things you may want to consider acquiring include some compression socks and heating/cold packs. I ordered my socks from Compression Stockings (http://www.compressionstockings.com/). They have all brands and a chart to establish the appropriate size. The hot and cold packs I picked up at a local Walmart. I got a large (shoulder size) gel pack for the heating and a smaller clay pack for the cold pack.
I begin my morning with 10-20 minutes of heating up my ankle, followed by my exercises then applying the cold pack for 10-20 minutes. I avoided taking NSAIDs for 6 weeks because of the interferance with bone healing, but now take 2 Aleve (naproxen) first thing after rising. The NSAIDS have made a huge difference in how much I'm able to flex my ankle.
If your experience is like mine the first 1-2 days you are permitted use your foot you will think it's going to be an extremely long time before you will be able to walk normally; however, you will rapidly progress over the next 3 days. By day 5 I had shed the crutches and boot. Initially all my walking has been flat-footed, but if I go very slowly and am on a flat surface I am now able to roll my foot heal-to-toe.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #83
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
but if I go very slowly and am on a flat surface I am now able to roll my foot heal-to-toe.
That right there was the hardest thing to re-learn and then REMEMBER, especially when I could go back to running. 21 yrs post initial injury and I still have to remind myself to double check from time to time due to the many many months, over several years, spent limping.

Here's to a better New Year PetDoc!
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #84
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was shuffling through an outdoor gear shop 2 days ago and noticed they had some Smartwool Light Cushion PhD Graduated Compression (20-30 mm) over-the-calf socks for 20% off (normally $39.99). Since the compression socks I'd ordered are hung up in the holiday shipping delay I bought a pair. They work great! Before, I was restricted to using a single pair of very wide Keen slip ons, now I can wear almost any of my shoes. The reduction of swelling in my foot is remarkable. Had I found these before ordering the yet-to-arrive compression socks I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #85
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi, i just completed the bmw gs safari, a few weeks ago, had a ball. I need to do more, so on christmas day, my son and I decided to go for a quick ride, near his place, up on the tableland behind cairns, we used his bikes,a wr450, me,while he rode his yz450 mx, all this is on private, and very rugged country,about 45 minutes out, no problems, was all warmed up, went down a steep dry creek bed, up the other side, along a flat section for about 50 metres,then left up a moderate steep hill. narrow, small trees on the side, I knew I was in the wrong gear ,toooo low ,but being stupid, I did not change up, about half way up, I had to give it a bit of throttle, way too much power, it went strait ahead, so I dropped the bike on its side, stepped over the handlebars, and it is here that my troubles started,I was running to fast down the hill, all I could see was a drop of, and who knows what else, so I grabbed the nearest passing tree, it swung me of my feet, and I blame the national parks and wildlife for this, the bloody tree broke, launching me like a frisbee, landed on my right foot sideways and result, broken ankle, and according to the doctor, my ankle had gone 360
,My son went back to get the yamaha 450 quad, bit of fun getting on the back, and then a long trip back,so , all I have to do is heal, reading your posts helps,
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #86
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Beanbandit,
When I started this thread it was to gain some information on my own recovery. After seeing all the posts on ankle fractures I decided it may be of value to document various aspects of my recovery for any who have yet to fracture their ankle. While I am glad to have initiated the the thread, I am sorry you have reason to be interested in reading it; however, what a great story.
In the off-road riding course I took there were 2 of 12 students named David. We both broke our ankle. Your first name wouldn't be David by any chance?

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #87
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
PETDOC. no my first name is wayne,I am 68, this was just brain fade on my part, I knew i was in the wrong gear, for whatever reason, I did not correct it, I will be better for the ts rally in may, this is all bitumen,
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #88
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
As a newly-minted member of the "broken tib-fib" club , I have found this thread to be interesting and informative.

My injury was about 3 weeks ago, due to a face plant on my bicycle. I ended up with a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula, plus a fractured ankle. Titanium rod through my tibia and 4 screws total (2 at the top of the tibia and 2 at the ankle). I had a splint for 2 weeks and just had the cast put on last week. Due to the location of my ankle fracture, the doctor says no weight-bearing for 12 weeks --aargh!

But I'm not in a lot of pain and am feeling a little better every day.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #89
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
My injury was about 3 weeks ago, due to a face plant on my bicycle.
Was it an accident on a mountain bicycle or a road bicycle?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #90
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Was it an accident on a mountain bicycle or a road bicycle?
It was a recumbent bicycle on a paved road. I was just going to work, and heading downhill at about 10-15 MPH. I made a rapid stop (because a car started to come out of parking lot, wasn't sure if the car was going to stop for me), the road was wet, I skidded, and down I went on my left side. I have absolutely no other injuries (no road rash, bruises, or scrapes) other than my left leg.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote