ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
OK, I bought the 12v charger for the Rino - it steps the voltage down from 11.5-30v to 9-10v DC. So don't think you can run one of these straight off 12v if you can find the right connector. Maybe they do this so you HAVE to purchase their car charger! I'd much rather have a Merit type plug than the usual car cig lighter type, so having to use Garmins one means you need an adapter if you have a Merit plug (BMW type) on your bike.

I can confirm that the unit STAYS ON once connected to the 12v though! Which is a good thing.

Re the update of the position of other Rinos on screen, I believe there is a polling feature that enables you to push the button on your unit, which sends a request out to the other units to send their location automatically - if I interpret the manual correctly. Therefor you are not reliant on the other units transmitting before getting an update of their position. This all works of course only if they are in radio range.

I'm really enjoying using mine, the touch screen works really well (with gloves on or off) and is a lot easier to use than the buttons on my 60csx.
Wilmo can you please clarify the charging ?

Eg if on the bike and wired up, does it charge and stay on?

What about if in the car?

Sorry this non turn on issue is confusing.

I like to use my stuff while it charges.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #32
BUCK 650
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question

Just bought a pair of these today. Can anyone enlighten me as how to pair them up so that one can locate the other, I have gone to Radio set up, selected Send Location ON , Allow Polling ON , Pushed the button top of left hand side, but nothing comes up on other unit.Also what code CTCSS do you select? you have the option from 0 -38.
Thanks in advance.
Ray
BUCK 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Wilmo can you please clarify the charging ?

Eg if on the bike and wired up, does it charge and stay on?

What about if in the car?

Sorry this non turn on issue is confusing.

I like to use my stuff while it charges.
They charge and stay on with the Garmin car charger (12v charger) if plugged into a 12v source. It won't charge or stay on with the USB cable.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #34
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK 650 View Post
Just bought a pair of these today. Can anyone enlighten me as how to pair them up so that one can locate the other, I have gone to Radio set up, selected Send Location ON , Allow Polling ON , Pushed the button top of left hand side, but nothing comes up on other unit.Also what code CTCSS do you select? you have the option from 0 -38.
Thanks in advance.
Ray
Sounds like you have done what is required - but is the radio turned ON too? Its the top option on the menu. CTCSS should be set to 0 if you want to hear all other UHF radios (not just Rinos). If you want to have a group conversation, in which other peoples transmissions are filtered out, then all select another number (same number). Bear in mind though, that your transmissions will still be heard by all and sundry!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Quote:
One limitation with this unit over a GPSmap CSX I have found is that you can have 2 map sets loaded, the basemap, and one other (which is the same as with other units) but what is different, is that you can't deselect/select individual tiles (overlapping tiles) in the Rino, which you can do in the GPS Map series of units.

I have loaded Shonky maps with the base Global map, and that is fine for my purposes. Alternately I could load Garmin City as a base map, and Shonky or Garmin Topo as the alternate map set and select both or either of these maps at any one time.
I've now worked out how to upload multiple map sets: Just load each individually. Eg. load Shonkymaps, and then before you load the next map set go into the unit and rename the gmapsupp.img file you just created by loading the map to gmapsuppshonky.img for example. Then load Tracks For Australia and then rename the new gmapsupp.img file created to gmapsupptracks.img etc. I have City Navigator, Tracks for Australia, Oztopo 2.1b, Shonky Maps, and the standard basemap all loaded to it now and can select them individually.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #36
BUCK 650
n00b

Quote:
Sounds like you have done what is required - but is the radio turned ON too? Its the top option on the menu. CTCSS should be set to 0 if you want to hear all other UHF radios (not just Rinos). If you want to have a group conversation, in which other peoples transmissions are filtered out, then all select another number (same number). Bear in mind though, that your transmissions will still be heard by all and sundry!
Thanks Wilmo. I found that it worked ok once i got off a repeater channel and just went simplex. The locating worked. When on duplex repeater channel i was not picking up all the transmission that my hand held GME was. Will have to see how it works out in the field.
BUCK 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
Saronkhye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Question Durability of gps long term

Hi, I'm looking at buying the Rino 650 as the deal looks pretty good.
Can anyone who has this unit please give advice on the durability of unit long term.
I have a ktm 640 and the unit will be mounted on handlebar mount.
I will also use unit for comms as well, is the screen big enough to see whilst on the go.
Is map data expensive from garmin or from other vendors, I intend on touring WA outback.
Cheers
Saronkhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #38
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saronkhye View Post
Hi, I'm looking at buying the Rino 650 as the deal looks pretty good.
Can anyone who has this unit please give advice on the durability of unit long term.
I have a ktm 640 and the unit will be mounted on handlebar mount.
I will also use unit for comms as well, is the screen big enough to see whilst on the go.
Is map data expensive from garmin or from other vendors, I intend on touring WA outback.
Cheers
It will accept any maps any other Garmin accept (and can have multiple maps loaded on unit at once). So City Navigator for great city coverage (Aus wide), Garmin Topo maps (routable and very good coverage of tracks in outback), Shonkymaps (FREE, but not routable, very good coverage of tracks in outback).

I don't have one of these units, I have a Garmin Oregon (so can't speak about its long term life on a 640). My mate has two and likes them (but in boat and car). If you and a mate have one, the unit will plot the location of the other Garmin unit on the map.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
Peterbradley
n00b

Giday .. Peter here in Melb .. did you end up getting the rhino .. I see J/appleseed in Melb has them as a 2/4/1 deal still. Lets know what you think. Will give them a call later & see if deal is still running.
SKYPE - peterbradley5910

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozphotog View Post
Just got an email newsletter from Johhny Appleseed.

Garmin Rino GPS/UHF Radio......$589 inc GST....but wait....buy one, get one FREE

Anyone in Brisbane want to go halves? Makes a cheap gps/radio $294.50 each!

ian@creativephotographics.com.au
0416 275 730
Peterbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #40
Peterbradley
n00b

Giday .. where did you get a single unit for $590- Peter - Melb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsdad View Post
If anyone wants to get just a single unit, I know where you can get them for $290 outright. I bought one myself.
Peterbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #41
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 835
Back again

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/

Back on 2 for 1 deal at Johnny Appleseed . . . .
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #42
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,516
The offer is back on

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Suzuki DRZ400 wide ratio ACT gearbox
Suzuki DL650 Glee
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote