Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #1531
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnman View Post
Has anyone actually had a problem with the stock Doo hickey??
Mine broke while riding down the Cherahalla Skyway.

it was a worse case scenario, it broke cam chain which broke lots of additional things in the motor, a bit went throught the motor and some how locked up my transmission and it also some how kept me from being able to disengage the clutch. It caused a 45 mph skid in a curve and eventually I bounced and slid 104 down the road till I exited the pavement.

If you would like to see some internal pictures send me a PM and I will dig them back up...
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #1532
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
The counterweight system has problems beyond the doohickey. Once you fix/upgrade your doohickey properly, I believe the bearings will eventually fail from all the heavy counterweights esp. if you ride the bike fairly hard. Mine did--even with Mobil 1 in it.

34k when it happened on mine.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #1533
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Remember these? The Tractor docs tube that used to be available at Tractor Supply for a coupla bucks? Some Jocko got hold of a case and is selling them for a twenty on line. That's nuts.

I bought three of them for under $25 shipped. I gave one to my manic mechanic for a docs holder on his hill-climbing rig.

Nice folks, very fast service and cheap tubes. Big gasket, long threads, and that stupid weep hole that you need to dab some silicone or Shoe Goo into before use.

They are found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110833323557...8#ht_500wt_969

Looks like this:

Fits a liter fuel bottle or a tool roll. The shipping seems high, but they reduce it a lot for bulk orders. As I said, three tubes cost me under $25 USD to my door.

Trust this helps.

Very useful items:
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #1534
okieinoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
The Doo Spring on my 2008

I have had this bike a little over 2 weeks now. It has 42,000ks on it and has been used and abused. I am slowing going through and replacing all the bolts that are missing and tightening all the loose ones....purple lock-tight for all!
I finally got the puller and wrench in to check the doo on the 08 2 days ago. The doo looks ok but the spring had no tension on it. I had a spare spring from my last order from Eagle Mikes that was about a half inch shorter so I put that in. I will order new doo and spring soon and put that in. Everything else looked ok as best I could tell.
The bike seems to run a bit rich so the carb will be on the list to check/change soon. The bike has heaps of scatches and the right side lower faring is cracked. When I bought the bike it didn't even run...electrical problem...wire had shorted out after rubbing on a holder under the tank...I saw somewhere that there was a recall on this model/year for that problem.
I cut the side stand off about 3/4 of an inch which really improved the bike leaning stance...less worry about the wind blowing it over again.
The bike has a LEXX exhaust on it and sounds great...how often do you repack these things?
Anyway great bike so far...I hope to do a ride with the club Sunday up to the Blue Mountain, NSW...west of Sydney for a good test ride.
Cheers
okieinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #1535
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
Does anyone know the size of the bypass hose for thermo-bob. I cut mine a little too short and need to replace. I figure I can go to napa and pick it up. I guess I need the o/d and the I/d.

Thanks
3/8 id high temp hose in case anyone was interested
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #1536
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
Hey Kawidad, another picture request...can you post any pics on the reinforcments you had welded to the frame. I need to do a little more research on where commom failure areas are (while touring with a heavy load)...I have an friend who is a steele worker/welder and I might be up for having him do some reinforcing...
Thanks!

Sure. Here's what I did. This is the crack and my prep work for the welding.

This is the finished product.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1537
FDKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Front tire acting like a pogo stick

A question for you wheel and tire experts.

I recently put on a new tire and I think that my rim is currently out of balance but I am not sure.

Since I put the new tire on form slow speeds upto about 45mph the front end feels like a pogo stick bouncing up and donw. It is not violant but noticeable.

I check the fork pressure and they match from left to right and are set at about 22psi.

Any thoughts as to why this may be occuring?

Thank you,
Brian
FDKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #1538
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Very useful items:
I've been wondering where a good place to hang those tubes would be...now I know.

That Shinko run hot on the pavement? Mine would always be very hot to the touch...spooked me so I took it off.
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #1539
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDKLR View Post
A question for you wheel and tire experts.

I recently put on a new tire and I think that my rim is currently out of balance but I am not sure.

Since I put the new tire on form slow speeds upto about 45mph the front end feels like a pogo stick bouncing up and donw. It is not violant but noticeable.

I check the fork pressure and they match from left to right and are set at about 22psi.

Any thoughts as to why this may be occuring?

Thank you,
Brian
Check the bead, make sure it seated properly on the rim on both sides, all the way around. Not an expert, but that's what I would check first. Starting with the simple stuff, so to speak.
<RP>< is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #1540
FDKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
The bead appears to be seated all the way around on both sides. i have inflated the tire to 45psi and brougth it back to 31psi to run down the road with. I haven't had this happen before. I don't change tires that often but is is about the 8 or 9th tire on this bike and this is my first Kenda tire. Not sure if the tire is bad possibly.

Thank you for the thoughts.

Check the bead, make sure it seated properly on the rim on both sides, all the way around. Not an expert, but that's what I would check first. Starting with the simple stuff, so to speak.[/QUOTE]
FDKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1541
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
then check for balance. a lot of times out of balance will wear the tire funny too so i wouldnt be surprised if you had to replace the tire and balance fresh to get rid of the problem.
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1542
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Curious as to what y'all keep in your tool kit/roll
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #1543
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f View Post
then check for balance. a lot of times out of balance will wear the tire funny too so i wouldnt be surprised if you had to replace the tire and balance fresh to get rid of the problem.
A very simple check for a poorly balanced tire is just to get the front wheel into the air and spin a little. See if it always stops at the same point, and even rolls back to that point after going one direction (like a swing set).
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #1544
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
You might even try to break the bead again and spin the tire maybe 180 degrees on the rim. Some tires have a colored dot on the side wall that is either to be mounted near the valve stem or opposite or it , sorry cant remember for sure.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #1545
rdnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
subframe breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedwaterskier View Post
I did the subframe bolt upgrade. I did not do the full drill thru eagle-mike kit.

Unless you are heavy and/or ride very hard off road, you won't break the stock.

The stock bolts often come loose and need to be torqued/loctited.

With the bolts avail. for 4 bucks at Lowe's, why wouldnt you do it?
My bud has an 08. He lost one of the bolts at the top of the sub-frame and rode that way for an unknown amount of time. The sub-frame cross-member that the gas tank attaches to cracked on both sides and one side broke off. A bit more and the rear tank mount would have been free of the frame. I welded it for him and all is well. We both installed the eagle bolt upgrade. Don't trust Lowe's bolts, made in China.
rdnman is offline   Reply With Quote