ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #1546
rdnman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop74 View Post
Mine broke while riding down the Cherahalla Skyway.

it was a worse case scenario, it broke cam chain which broke lots of additional things in the motor, a bit went throught the motor and some how locked up my transmission and it also some how kept me from being able to disengage the clutch. It caused a 45 mph skid in a curve and eventually I bounced and slid 104 down the road till I exited the pavement.

If you would like to see some internal pictures send me a PM and I will dig them back up...
Thanks ordering the parts now.
rdnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #1547
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDKLR View Post
A question for you wheel and tire experts.

I recently put on a new tire and I think that my rim is currently out of balance but I am not sure.

Since I put the new tire on form slow speeds upto about 45mph the front end feels like a pogo stick bouncing up and donw. It is not violant but noticeable.

I check the fork pressure and they match from left to right and are set at about 22psi.

Any thoughts as to why this may be occuring?

Thank you,
Brian
You think correctly.

Sometimes if the tire is rotated on the rim to where the rim and tire imbalance cancel each other out you might not need weight balancing. That is work and patience.

Read somewhere years ago that 1oz out at 90mph is equivalent to a 5lb weight rotating.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #1548
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 45,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
You might even try to break the bead again and spin the tire maybe 180 degrees on the rim. Some tires have a colored dot on the side wall that is either to be mounted near the valve stem or opposite or it , sorry cant remember for sure.
Mounted near the stem.

The spot indicates the light spot on the tire.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #1549
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Mounted near the stem.
Or rim lock...
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1550
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRC51's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Hydesville, Calif
Oddometer: 430
Thanks Stu and Aprillia, couldnt remember for sure.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1551
SUPERPOWERPHIL
sounds like a plan..
 
SUPERPOWERPHIL's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Comox, BC
Oddometer: 26
AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHH...




Let the shenanigans begin... Got my new Supermoto wheels today, holy hell man I haven't been this happy in a while!

Phil
__________________
03 KLR650 Supermoto

The end of the road is just the begining.

SUPERPOWERPHIL screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 06:53 PM Reason: too excited...
SUPERPOWERPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #1552
Kurt Franz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Beautiful Northern Ohio
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp68 View Post
By the way what is the DOO? Is that the same thing and the DOOHickey? I think I will try and seach the site. I asked the Parts Guy at the Kawasaki dealer and he said that it was much a do about nothing????

He is entirely correct. This BS still floats around and gets regurgitated by the sheep. If you have a 2008+ you are fine and do not have to worry about it. The myth persists and is spread around so that vendors can keep selling a part that is no longer needed.

Another good one is the Thermobob... research that if you want a few good laughs.

It is highly recommended that you use your money to purchase a good quality helmet, good riding gear, or some other accessory that will add to your safety or riding comfort.

CASE CLOSED
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #1553
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™
 
Chicken Helmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERPHIL View Post
AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHH...




Let the shenanigans begin... Got my new Supermoto wheels today, holy hell man I haven't been this happy in a while!

Phil
I love these bikes set uop this way. Looks awesome!
__________________
Sean
1988 KLR 650 Bare frame,swing arm & title For Sale PM for Details 2009 KLR 650 1994 DR 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #1554
IDRIDR
.
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERPHIL View Post
AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHH...




Let the shenanigans begin... Got my new Supermoto wheels today, holy hell man I haven't been this happy in a while!

Phil
That's SWEET. You're going to enjoy some twisties!
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #1555
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
He is entirely correct. This BS still floats around and gets regurgitated by the sheep. If you have a 2008+ you are fine and do not have to worry about it. The myth persists and is spread around so that vendors can keep selling a part that is no longer needed.

Another good one is the Thermobob... research that if you want a few good laughs.

It is highly recommended that you use your money to purchase a good quality helmet, good riding gear, or some other accessory that will add to your safety or riding comfort.

CASE CLOSED
Yup! And some good laughs with the 'closed cases' who also still believe that they are entirely correct, the world is flat, the world was created 6000 years ago too and the motor car as just a fad that would not catch on!

As one with an 08 from new, the spring is far too long and good originally for one or two adjustments only. Having also changed a good few with either broken doo's and broken springs, sure they were a figment of my imagination! Then, a personal friend whose 08 imploded when the un-adjusted balancer chain let go before 10K - just another figment! Then there is the empirical evidence that Kawa changed both the design of the doo as well as the spring forming process, just for grins.

As for the merits of the Thermobob - take the time to read the hundreds of articles in the ASE files regarding thermodynamics from about the 1940's. Sure the KLR will run fine just as it comes from the factory. Interested in improving it - control the temps more effectively?

Now, as for taking the sage advice of many of the high school dropouts behind the counters and wrenches in dealerships, I know the choices I do make!

Sure, spend money on riding comfort and peace of mind (a little insurance) too
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #1556
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker
 
M-Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Surreality
Oddometer: 333
Powerbomb header

I was installing the FMF header on my 2000 and noticed it was very loose inside the port flange on the head. Like 1/4" play all the way around. Waaay more than the stock head pipe. I have yet to run it, as I'm doing a couple of other things to freshen it up.
Has anyone else using this header noticed that?
__________________
Across town, across the country, around the world...every ride is an adventure.
M-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #1557
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 45,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cat View Post
I was installing the FMF header on my 2000 and noticed it was very loose inside the port flange on the head. Like 1/4" play all the way around. Waaay more than the stock head pipe. I have yet to run it, as I'm doing a couple of other things to freshen it up.
Has anyone else using this header noticed that?
There is a gasket that may be stuck in your old head pipe...

Part 11060: Diagram link
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #1558
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
As for the merits of the Thermobob - take the time to read the hundreds of articles in the ASE files regarding thermodynamics from about the 1940's. Sure the KLR will run fine just as it comes from the factory. Interested in improving it - control the temps more effectively?

Now, as for taking the sage advice of many of the high school dropouts behind the counters and wrenches in dealerships, I know the choices I do make!

Sure, spend money on riding comfort and peace of mind (a little insurance) too
I'm with you on the doo. There are some real horror stories out there.

But this thermobob has always seemed like a scam to me, and a silly religion to many. However, I have an open mind and am willing to listen.

My 09 KLR warms up nicely and tends to hold a constant temp except for the rare times I go slowly off road where the temp gauge will creep up, but it never hits the red mark (it rarely goes above the middle).

So why would I need this? (I don't care or have time to page through 70 years of ASE articles, but am willing to listen to a well reasoned argument.)
__________________
1999 DR350SE
2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #1559
mark836
Adventurer
 
mark836's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
He is entirely correct. This BS still floats around and gets regurgitated by the sheep. If you have a 2008+ you are fine and do not have to worry about it. The myth persists and is spread around so that vendors can keep selling a part that is no longer needed.

Another good one is the Thermobob... research that if you want a few good laughs.

It is highly recommended that you use your money to purchase a good quality helmet, good riding gear, or some other accessory that will add to your safety or riding comfort.

CASE CLOSED
I have seen balance levers on 2008's with very few miles that were extremely loose on the shaft. For $40 I will take peace of mind any time and do the upgrade.
__________________
2003 KLR 650
mark836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #1560
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
But this thermobob has always seemed like a scam to me, and a silly religion to many. However, I have an open mind and am willing to listen.

My 09 KLR warms up nicely and tends to hold a constant temp except for the rare times I go slowly off road where the temp gauge will creep up, but it never hits the red mark (it rarely goes above the middle).

So why would I need this? (I don't care or have time to page through 70 years of ASE articles, but am willing to listen to a well reasoned argument.)
Do you need to do homework before blowing off a product that might have engineering merit, as silly religion? Only you can answer that.

In summary;
1. Internal combusion engines work most efficiently at about 220 degrees. That is not practical so 195 degrees has been universially accepted.
2. At lower temps the cumbustion by-products which are acidic are not burned/evaporated off.
3. Lubrication is not efficient.
4. Thermal effects on the parts are better contolled at a more constant temp. The stock temp gauge is a primitive device and not able to register the wild temp fluctuations.

The KLR system is primitive and cheap. It uses a 160 degree tstat. In lower ambient temps that means 120 degrees coolant is entering the cylinder from the radiator . There is a constant wide range swing in temps.

The Tbob, as with modern cooling systems since the 1940's, has a bypass hose before the tstat that bleeds and circulates the cold coolant within the motor until the elevated and more desirable temp is reached and maintained.

The originator of the Tbob is an degreed automotive research engineer who took the time to fully test the parts and system.

By all means, healthy scepticism is needed with the many fads and farkles being sold, but those with sound engieering behind them need a second look beyond the bling!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 07:15 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014