Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #1561
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
He is entirely correct. This BS still floats around and gets regurgitated by the sheep. If you have a 2008+ you are fine and do not have to worry about it. The myth persists and is spread around so that vendors can keep selling a part that is no longer needed.

Another good one is the Thermobob... research that if you want a few good laughs.

It is highly recommended that you use your money to purchase a good quality helmet, good riding gear, or some other accessory that will add to your safety or riding comfort.

CASE CLOSED
I have no skin in this game and, in fact, I came upon my KLR by luck and had no intention of keeping it. As anyone knows its an overweight, underpowered, no suspension and one fugly bike. However, the more I road it the more I appreciated the bike for what it is and became more and more involved with other owners. I've come to the point in my life I have extra time and enjoy helping fellow riders. I've put on several KLR tech days and now have plenty of first hand experience with the mystical Doo.

Yes, kawasaki addressed the Doo with GenII. I've yet to see any issues with these new Doo levers but, (BIG BUT) I have seen at least a doz GenII Doo springs with no tension remaining. Every GenII owner should follow their owners manuals recommendation for adjustments and after a couple adjustments they should take the added step of verifying their Doo spring is still under tension. I've had two GenII where the owners had either never made an adjustment or only made one adjustment and with no tension allowed the chain to have enough slack that it ended up taking out all three sprockets. Both bikes had about 20K miles on them. That was about $250 in parts and about 2hrs of my time to repair. A lot cheaper to obtain a shorter spring or spend the big bucks and $35 for replacement aftermarket kit.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #1562
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERPHIL View Post
AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHH...

Let the shenanigans begin... Got my new Supermoto wheels today, holy hell man I haven't been this happy in a while!

Phil
Phil....congrats! I did the same with mine. Not as much fun as the SXV550 but certainly far more comfortable lol. I added a radial mstr off a 08 CBR1000...added even more to front brake response.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #1563
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,227
here's another thread for your Thermobob reading pleasure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=thermobob
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #1564
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 816
Doo and thermobob.

My 05 had a broken spring so I was glad I checked the doo and replaced it.

A mate had a 2008 gen 2 that he got a doo for and got the kwaka dealer he brought it from new to do the work at 12000kms. They did it under warranty because they found the original knackered when they got in there.

Thermobob, regulates my bikes temp e.g. no wild temp swings. Yes it still gets warm on slow uphill trails(only a bigger capacity radiator will stop that) but I got it to to stop the wild temp swings after putting in a 685 kit.
Its the reason I got it so a happy customer here.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1565
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDKLR View Post
A question for you wheel and tire experts.

I recently put on a new tire and I think that my rim is currently out of balance but I am not sure.

Since I put the new tire on form slow speeds upto about 45mph the front end feels like a pogo stick bouncing up and donw. It is not violant but noticeable.

I check the fork pressure and they match from left to right and are set at about 22psi.

Any thoughts as to why this may be occuring?

Thank you,
Brian
gotta tell ya...2 tire changes ago i decided to try out "ride on" tire sealant -ballancer at the recomendation of my KLR parts guy...i really like it.

i run t-63s and sometimes they get pretty chewed up on the coral..the ride on does a admirable job of keeping everything in balance....i changed rear tires and re used the ride on filled tube and it worked just as well....just have to remember to drain the air with the valve at the top of the wheel to save the goo.

now i don't know how useful it would be in a puncture of a tube...probably not very...it has seemed to put a stop to leak down though.

it is worth the $$$ for me as an instant tire balance that can adjust to wear....i give it 2 bandaged thumbs up.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #1566
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,587
Thanks Tsotsie, you have spelled out why the Thermo-Bob is better very well, and for that I thank you.

I guess my only question (and the most important question here) is, "Does it matter that it's better?"
Can someone point to some damage done to their KLR motor that would have been saved by this product?

I am not trying to trash the Thermo-Bob engineer. I am just trying to evaluate if this product is right for me. Thankfully, engineers constantly look at the world and think, "What can we do better?" It's for us to decide if better matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Do you need to do homework before blowing off a product that might have engineering merit, as silly religion? Only you can answer that.
Religion: the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

I do sincerely apologize for calling the Thermo-Bob religion silly. However, unless you can answer my question above with an example then the people who follow and use the product ARE in a religion of sorts. They have a set of beliefs (with no concrete proof) that the product does something for them.

I also realize that:
  • Motorcycling is a hobby
  • People have to spend their money on something and enjoy spending it on their hobbies
  • Many people (including me) enjoy wrenching on their bikes

So, one might be inclined in the long winter months to spend the $40 and "do the doo" just to get out of the house into the garage and spend some quality time with their bikes. Whether the "doo" or "Thermo-Bob" needs it or not is not really the point.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #1567
Thanantos
Ride hard.

BTW, I spooned some Shink 705's onto my '09 today and the difference was AMAZING.

I have only ever used the stock tires (seemed like a good 50/50 choice so I just kept replacing them with the same), but have found myself riding on the road much more lately (gas prices). So I purchased a set of these thinking I would burn through them on the road in a couple months anyway so why not for $100 shipped to my door.

Immediately, I noticed a huge difference in vibes and overall smoothness. A difference I never could have imagined a tire change would have made.

I rode in the rain after spooning them on so I did not push it very hard, but I have high hopes for these in the twisties.

2013 V-Strom
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #1568
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolupm View Post
gotta tell ya...2 tire changes ago i decided to try out "ride on" tire sealant -ballancer at the recomendation of my KLR parts guy...i really like it.

i run t-63s and sometimes they get pretty chewed up on the coral..the ride on does a admirable job of keeping everything in balance....i changed rear tires and re used the ride on filled tube and it worked just as well....just have to remember to drain the air with the valve at the top of the wheel to save the goo.

now i don't know how useful it would be in a puncture of a tube...probably not very...it has seemed to put a stop to leak down though.

it is worth the $$$ for me as an instant tire balance that can adjust to wear....i give it 2 bandaged thumbs up.
This is good to know. I had not heard of this product, but was just doing some research into Dyna Beads lately and found mixed opinions.

I might try this out on the next tire change.

2013 V-Strom
Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #1569
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
This is good to know. I had not heard of this product, but was just doing some research into Dyna Beads lately and found mixed opinions.

i chose this over dyna beads because they say any water in the tube will mess up the dyna beads....not much chance of finding dry compressed air in south florida so i went with the ride on. you can get it a t HD dealers but i got it cheaper online.

i have not had to change a punctured tube yet....my glowing opinion of the stuff may change when i open up a tire and find it full of goop...but it didn't seem too sticky when i put it in at least.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #1570
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDKLR View Post
A question for you wheel and tire experts.

I recently put on a new tire and I think that my rim is currently out of balance but I am not sure.

Since I put the new tire on form slow speeds upto about 45mph the front end feels like a pogo stick bouncing up and donw. It is not violant but noticeable.

I check the fork pressure and they match from left to right and are set at about 22psi.

Any thoughts as to why this may be occuring?

Thank you,
Brian
oh...and correct me if i am wrong please but 22psi in the forks seems quite high..kawa recommends 0psi right ?...the valve is there to relieve pressure built up by leaking seals. now I do know lots of guys who air their forks up but 22 lbs seems high to me....no idea if i am really right tho....i do remember trying to cancel out a death wobble once and 10psi raised my forks a surprising amount.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1571
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Thanks Tsotsie, you have spelled out why the Thermo-Bob is better very well, and for that I thank you.

I guess my only question (and the most important question here) is, "Does it matter that it's better?"
Can someone point to some damage done to their KLR motor that would have been saved by this product?

I am not trying to trash the Thermo-Bob engineer. I am just trying to evaluate if this product is right for me. Thankfully, engineers constantly look at the world and think, "What can we do better?" It's for us to decide if better matters.

Religion: the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

I do sincerely apologize for calling the Thermo-Bob religion silly. However, unless you can answer my question above with an example then the people who follow and use the product ARE in a religion of sorts. They have a set of beliefs (with no concrete proof) that the product does something for them.

I also realize that:
  • Motorcycling is a hobby
  • People have to spend their money on something and enjoy spending it on their hobbies
  • Many people (including me) enjoy wrenching on their bikes
So, one might be inclined in the long winter months to spend the $40 and "do the doo" just to get out of the house into the garage and spend some quality time with their bikes. Whether the "doo" or "Thermo-Bob" needs it or not is not really the point.
Good questions.
Will the Tbob make the motor 'better'? From my perspective, yes. That more modern and proven designs in which there have been studies by following its principles is enough testimony for me. You have to answer that question for yourself

Your use of the term 'religion' might be closer to the truth. No apologies necessary! William Trammel, back in the 80's stated that religion (as opposed to ritualized religion) is the attempt to answer the unaswerable questions of life. The persuit of real answers, your questions, might be closer to true KLR 'religion' than the sheep following fads, bling and performance gains measured by their butts and adherance to unproven beliefs of many! At times the heretical believing unbeliever and at other times an unbelieving believer might just be the right mix!

Great weather ahead down South this WE - time to hit the road!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #1572
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolupm View Post
oh...and correct me if i am wrong please but 22psi in the forks seems quite high..kawa recommends 0psi right ?...the valve is there to relieve pressure built up by leaking seals. now I do know lots of guys who air their forks up but 22 lbs seems high to me....no idea if i am really right tho....i do remember trying to cancel out a death wobble once and 10psi raised my forks a surprising amount.
22psi is way high, and begging to blow a fork seal. 0psi is the Kaw recommendation, 5-10psi is the usual range to "cheat" and get a little more preload. If that doesn't get you where you want to be then you need to consider longer spacers or (better options) new springs and intimators etc.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #1573
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Yeah 20 psi is way high on the front forks...I used to run 5 to 10 psi which helped immensely till I got my slightly used Progressive Springs.

The cheap rear shock upgrade is to get a later model shock and change the spring. This fix cost me $100 for a newer low mile shock and 90 for an Eiback spring; and it works great.

Now I mo' better travel than a post 07
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #1574
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
BTW, I spooned some Shink 705's onto my '09 today and the difference was AMAZING.

I have only ever used the stock tires (seemed like a good 50/50 choice so I just kept replacing them with the same), but have found myself riding on the road much more lately (gas prices). So I purchased a set of these thinking I would burn through them on the road in a couple months anyway so why not for $100 shipped to my door.

Immediately, I noticed a huge difference in vibes and overall smoothness. A difference I never could have imagined a tire change would have made.

I rode in the rain after spooning them on so I did not push it very hard, but I have high hopes for these in the twisties.

I'm on my second set of 705's on my '95 KLR, and they are simply amazing tires. I got almost 10K on the first rear, and 14K on the first front. That's the best service life that I've ever gotten on any tires on any bike in my 27 years of riding. I'm an ex-roadracer, and I don't baby my bike. Were I to do a track day on the KLR (Hah!!) I would not hesitate to run the Shinkos.

They're not all that bad on dirt roads, too, as long as you drop the pressure down.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #1575
<RP><
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:

I've used the beads on my streetbike for awhile now, they're great. Smooth at high speed as well. I have a coworker that runs beads in the tubes of his Husky TE 510(?) and has nothing but good stuff to say about them. They must be dry though or they will clump. Windex is good to use as a lube when spooning the tires on since it evaporated quickly.
<RP>< is offline   Reply With Quote