Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #196
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The front fork upgrade is the only thing left for me to do to my KLR.......do I need it??? NOPE....It just looks good! So, I'm going on a hunt next spring for a set of man sized forks.....lol
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #197
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,649
I want the plastic tank (anyone have one they want to dump?) and Wolfman side racks and the bags and I'll be done with the (lamely) justified "needs". Then I WANT a set of black wheels... My Poor Mans Rally Look would then be complete..

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #198
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did you revalve the forks for the difference in wieght?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #199
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I want the plastic tank (anyone have one they want to dump?) and Wolfman side racks and the bags and I'll be done with the (lamely) justified "needs". Then I WANT a set of black wheels... My Poor Mans Rally Look would then be complete..
You have excellent taste. Sounds like my set-up less the rims. Miles Hubert at Motofab in Bristol, VT could powder-coat your stock rims for pretty reasonable. He does great work. I don't think they would be nearly as durable as anodized, but if it's look you want. . .

He'll also set up your race bike.

Google him, I don't want to post his email in the open.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #200
Deacon66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
2011 klr

Hi everyone... just picked up a new 2011 KLR 650 (burnt orange.) Looking forward to mixing it up a bit. Bike now has 60 miles and counting.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #201
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon66 View Post
Hi everyone... just picked up a new 2011 KLR 650 (burnt orange.) Looking forward to mixing it up a bit. Bike now has 60 miles and counting.
Welcome aboard.

Let's see some pics!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #202
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Advice needed about replacing sprockets

Ive got a 2001 KLR and the rear sprocket (and chain) needs replacement, so I'm looking to order one. Is there any reason to get something other than the 43 tooth that comes stock? Any recommendations for chain? What about size for the front sprocket?

I'm considering a package like this:

http://www.klr650.com/ChainandSprocketdeal.htm

or

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ch...al-KLR650.aspx
Old 11-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #203
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Bomber dry duffel for cheap

As KLR owners are recognized to be value-oriented, I thought I'd post this find. Mine just came in this evening, I've looked at the seams and gave the thing a thorough once-over and I scored. It's a very well-built piece of gear, particularly for $55 USD shipped. It fits as if it was made for my Eagle Mike rear rack, and so would fit happily on the Happy Trails also.

I was looking for a dry duffel -- top opening, which would compliment my Wolfman bags. I've found that raft-style soft dry luggage is the goods for dual-sport use. I've never seen a soft-luggage rain cover that works very well, and covers tend to blow off under hard use, or flap annoyingly. I love hard luggage on the road, but it has disadvantages off. I adore Wolfie's offerings, but it's hard to keep the Wolfman in the style he's accustomed to. His gear is worth every penny, but expensive.

Found this, available here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Sport_Bag.html

Pic:

Name:  Overboard 60 liter.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  138.4 KB

I find it hard to believe this wasn't designed for moto use. It's not submersion-proof, but will likely keep your gear dry in most conditions you'd ride in. What they don't mention in the description is that there are reflective stripes on the rear, and a few nice zippered pockets inside. It's brilliantly finished, with good zippers, and very sound detailing. There's an outer Cordura shell over the radio-frequency welded inner. The side panels are silver and reflective. If you combine it with a couple of straps, it's a very good rear rack bag, and is easy to get into. The problem with submersion-proof bags is that they generally open from the top, which is a PITA when the item you want is at the bottom. I'm likin' it. I may snip the handles off.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #204
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Did you revalve the forks for the difference in wieght?
If this was for me, no. My (faulty?) logic went, These forks were meant to be slammed off road on a machine more capable then the KLR and the YZ isn't all that much lighter so maybe a heavier oil will work.

Td you it was faulty. For NOW the forks are great. If I were out west with a wider area to ride I'd have done it. The shop I am getting to do the seals are going to put in a larger spacer and heavier oil. The dive isn't too bad right now, better then stock. But one day...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #205
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloriumcamper View Post
Ive got a 2001 KLR and the rear sprocket (and chain) needs replacement, so I'm looking to order one. Is there any reason to get something other than the 43 tooth that comes stock? Any recommendations for chain? What about size for the front sprocket?

I'm considering a package like this:

http://www.klr650.com/ChainandSprocketdeal.htm

or

http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ch...al-KLR650.aspx

Hi:
I personally buy the best chain I can get my hands on, my way of thinking, I only have one so it better stay intact, theory. DiD X ring chain Gold linked, or whatever they call it, the one with gold side links. It is expensive up here above the border. The sprockets, again, open to how you think about it. The stock rear is a 43 and the dealer's seems to be the longest wearing one to buy, BUT it's whorely expensive!!!! Same goes for the front sprocket if you were to stay original, it also comes with the rubber anti-shock piece on it. Now I use 16/42 gearing from JS if I can remember correctly. They supply the dealership with the 16 for the sportbikes to change up from the 15 they come with.....why I don't know, but that is what my dealership parts guy told me. Yes I know, no I know him well and he's not feeding me a line.
So, it's up to you on how much and where you actually buy them from. BUT, when it's time to change one out, change them all out, nothing eats items faster than one worn item in that collection of items.....ask me how I found out!

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #206
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
If this was for me, no. My (faulty?) logic went, These forks were meant to be slammed off road on a machine more capable then the KLR and the YZ isn't all that much lighter so maybe a heavier oil will work.

Td you it was faulty. For NOW the forks are great. If I were out west with a wider area to ride I'd have done it. The shop I am getting to do the seals are going to put in a larger spacer and heavier oil. The dive isn't too bad right now, better then stock. But one day...

This trying to figure out what forks are best is what is slowing me down.....I just don't know and it hasn't been high on my priority list until now. This winter I'm installing a FCR-MX pumper carb and a LeXX slip on. So maybe next year's efforts will be the forks......I have plenty of time to research them I guess???
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #207
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Another question

Quote:
Hi:
I personally buy the best chain I can get my hands on, my way of thinking, I only have one so it better stay intact, theory. DiD X ring chain Gold linked, or whatever they call it, the one with gold side links. It is expensive up here above the border. The sprockets, again, open to how you think about it. The stock rear is a 43 and the dealer's seems to be the longest wearing one to buy, BUT it's whorely expensive!!!! Same goes for the front sprocket if you were to stay original, it also comes with the rubber anti-shock piece on it. Now I use 16/42 gearing from JS if I can remember correctly. They supply the dealership with the 16 for the sportbikes to change up from the 15 they come with.....why I don't know, but that is what my dealership parts guy told me. Yes I know, no I know him well and he's not feeding me a line.
So, it's up to you on how much and where you actually buy them from. BUT, when it's time to change one out, change them all out, nothing eats items faster than one worn item in that collection of items.....ask me how I found out!

Hope this helps
Thanks, definitely helpful. How does the sizing of the sprockets effect the way the bike rides? (is this "gearing"?)
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #208
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes this is gearing.....a 16/42 gear ratio is more for highway and a 14/45 is more for off road riding.....the higher the front sprocket and lower rear will result in lower RPMs at lets say 6mph where a 14 front and a 45 rear will result in a high rpm at 60 mph.
So, you need to make the decission on how you plan to ride your bike the most......terrain wise that is, highway or dirt and pick a ratio to suit your riding. Those gears are close to the far ends of the scales.....remember 15/43 is a stock gearing. Just going down or up one number on the front sprocket will raise or lower your RPMs by 500rpms....

Hope this helps...now it's as clear as mud!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #209
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Just going down or up one number on the front sprocket will raise or lower your RPMs by 500rpms.
At what ground speed? Ain't flat 500 rpm from "dc to daylight," is it?

Looks like one countersprocket tooth up or down would change engine rpm by about 1/15th the rpm of stock gearing at any given speed, to me . . .
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #210
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Have you changed your counter sprocket? Either way to see? I have and that is what it changes it by roughly 500rpms.