Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #2251
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,044
Thanks for the help Kawidad and Bones. Bones was correct, cracked the fuel cap and IMMEDIATELY stopped. Doh!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #2252
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I finally got around to doing the write-up about my 685 installation. http://myklr.wordpress.com/building-the-beast/
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #2253
twinjet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
I finally got around to doing the write-up about my 685 installation. http://myklr.wordpress.com/building-the-beast/
Very impressive, congratulations!
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2254
bill_in_pittsburgh
ADVer in training...

Oddometer: 53
[QUOTE=sandalscout;18621440]Has anyone ever experienced the cooling system "whining" after a coolant replacement?]

SNIP

My new (used) KLR did this too. If you open the gas cap, on the right side of the fill-up hole, you'll see a small vent hole with a rubber grommet that mates with a male nipple that is attached to the gas cap. Inside the gas cap is a one-way rubber flapper valve - designed to allow air into the tank to vent the tank and, in the case of a tip-over, to prevent fuel from flowing into the vent circuit. Apparently this flapper valve both causes this noise - and with time can become stuck, impairing the flow of air to the gas tank as gas drains into the carb, causing the gas tank to develop a vacuum and stop/impair the flow of gas to the carb (this happened on mine).

Some research on the KLR forum uncovered a few threads in which some KLR owners reported dissembling the gas cap and removing the rubber flapper valve from the vent circuit. I did this - and both the high-pitched whining noise stopped, and my venting problem (i.e. running out of fuel when the tank was still 1/2 full) disappeared.

Good luck!
bill_in_pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #2255
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,044
Excellent, thanks Bill, I'll take a look at this!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2256
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
Nice write up Matt! And done in the driveway to boot! I've rebuilt a couple engines and I find it easier to use a ring compressor to put the piston in the cylinder from the top. Push it down until the hole shows enough the put the rod pin in. Set the cylinder on top of the cases on some blocks of wood and connect the rod. Easier on the fingers.

Good job!

John
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #2257
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 219
Mileage

So how tough are these klr things, Just wondering if 40,000 miles is pushing the limits of what seems to be a well maintained bike. 06 i think. Any thoughts. May be trading a very nice SV 1000 with 26,xxx miles on it for one.
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #2258
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
So how tough are these klr things, Just wondering if 40,000 miles is pushing the limits of what seems to be a well maintained bike. 06 i think. Any thoughts. May be trading a very nice SV 1000 with 26,xxx miles on it for one.
If you search you'll find a "how many miles on your KLR" thread. I remember a number of members posting they had over 100,000.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #2259
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Lol, it appears this question has come up a few dozen times

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...0...0.0.&mvs=0

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #2260
sect8dr
ride them all

oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Lol, it appears this question has come up a few dozen times

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...0...0.0.&mvs=0

Guess i should stop being lazy and look for my dang self. Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #2261
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
All depends upon how it has been maintained.

My 08 turned over to 41K last WE on its way back from a 3200 mile ride in a week from TX to FL to NC and back- of which 2 days were no riding. Two of the days were 770 and 685 mile days. Used about 1/8" of oil in the sight glass. 29K on a 685 piston. Many, many hours of 5 k rpm. I would ride out and do it all tomorrow if I had the time. They are tough! But then some persons can kill anything in a few miles. SV are nice too!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #2262
sect8dr
ride them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
All depends upon how it has been maintained.

My 08 turned over to 41K last WE on its way back from a 3200 mile ride in a week from TX to FL to NC and back- of which 2 days were no riding. Two of the days were 770 and 685 mile days. Used about 1/8" of oil in the sight glass. 29K on a 685 piston. Many, many hours of 5 k rpm. I would ride out and do it all tomorrow if I had the time. They are tough! But then some persons can kill anything in a few miles. SV are nice too!

I love this SV but i just recently traded my last DR650 for a nice 08 FZ1 and since i have owned SV's in the past i thought i would give a klr a try as i now am in need of something that is ready to run down a few gravel roads and river trails i have close to the house. I have looked into a 685 kit and figure that is not a bad way to go if and when it actually needed it. Hopefully will be going to have a look at this bike next Sunday. Somehow managed to have the right number of bikes in the garage but too many of them are street bikes. And the 525 is kind of a project for this winter since i am strapped for time this year.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #2263
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
This is a cool video that was made by another inmate that I went riding with this weekend. I'm the fat one on a KLR. Thanks to Daaang for inviting me out for the day and doing a great job putting the video together. The hill that I wipe out on in the beginning was right after I hit a log underwater and lowsided to the right and went into the shit water. My rear brake pedal busted off but I straightened it out and welded it back together today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMfh...1&feature=plcp
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #2264
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Cool video! That was fun to watch.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #2265
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Thanks for the help Kawidad and Bones. Bones was correct, cracked the fuel cap and IMMEDIATELY stopped. Doh!
For the longest while I was just like......and then one day it dawned on me. I crack my cap almost every ride. Gas vapors wanting to release from some law of physics...something about increase pressure outside or heating of the fuel...etc. I'm sure someone can jump on the soap box about this...

Glad to be of service...

Bones