ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #2266
kingcobra65
Adventurer
 
kingcobra65's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: LINY
Oddometer: 34
Sharkfin rotor guard

Thinking of picking up a Sharkfin for a bit of rough terrain I will get into this summer. I'd appreciate any insight.
__________________
"HOKA HEY"!
kingcobra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #2267
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
nakedwaterskier's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Oddometer: 263
sharkfin for rear master shouldn't be on the top of your list

I would worry about catching rear brake pedal on a rock more.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2268
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hatley Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Hatley, WI
Oddometer: 306
Pro-Taper ATV high bars

Hey,

For those of you whom have added the pro-taper se atv high bar, how much higher is it than the KLR stock? I would like more height for standing up while riding. Do they make a difference? I'm not worried about adding barkbusters, just the bars, and looking for more height. Thanks for your input.

Second thought, I was going to order some heavy duty tubes for my KLR also, do you need to order a size smaller to fit the tube, or the same size you would for a normal tube?

T

Hatley Rocket screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 09:31 PM Reason: Second thoughts
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #2269
kingcobra65
Adventurer
 
kingcobra65's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: LINY
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedwaterskier View Post
sharkfin for rear master shouldn't be on the top of your list

I would worry about catching rear brake pedal on a rock more.
Made all the usual mods over the last couple years. Have a chance to p/u a used sharkfin cheap and was wonderin' if it's worth it.
__________________
"HOKA HEY"!
kingcobra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #2270
By-tor
remember 6/6/44
 
By-tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas, GA
Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Hey,

For those of you whom have added the pro-taper se atv high bar, how much higher is it than the KLR stock? I would like more height for standing up while riding. Do they make a difference? I'm not worried about adding barkbusters, just the bars, and looking for more height. Thanks for your input.

Second thought, I was going to order some heavy duty tubes for my KLR also, do you need to order a size smaller to fit the tube, or the same size you would for a normal tube?

T
I almost got the ATV high bars but went with the Renthal Jimmy Buttons. I wish that I got the ATV highs now. The Buttons are not much higher than stock, plus I had to add risers. I am still not happy with the bars.
Please let me know how the ATV high bars are if you get them.
Thanks.
Eric
By-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #2271
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobra65 View Post
Made all the usual mods over the last couple years. Have a chance to p/u a used sharkfin cheap and was wonderin' if it's worth it.
I have never seen a damaged rear rotor on a KLR, but if it's cheap insurance, why not?

Plus, they look cool.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #2272
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Second thought, I was going to order some heavy duty tubes for my KLR also, do you need to order a size smaller to fit the tube, or the same size you would for a normal tube?

T
Same size
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #2273
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,114
Need some help with tube routing

Hey all,

Just getting my bike buttoned back up after doing a ton of maintenance and needed things, noticed a drain/vent tube that is not connected. I read that there are 3 lines that should run down through the swing arm retainer, this one makes a fourth.

The 3 lines references are:
battery overflow
airbox drain with catch bottle and cap
gas tank cap vent

All three of the above are accounted for and connected. This mysterious 4th line runs through a hole in the lower part of the fender liner, and when I found it, it was routed behind the sidestand switch cover and was simply lining next to the carb. It's a big line, about the same size as the airbox breather, too big to be any sort of carb line.

Any ideas? I can't find a vacuum hose routing diagram and poking around on various fiches is not netting any results.

Thanks!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #2274
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NHMatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Newport News VA
Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Hey all,

Just getting my bike buttoned back up after doing a ton of maintenance and needed things, noticed a drain/vent tube that is not connected. I read that there are 3 lines that should run down through the swing arm retainer, this one makes a fourth.

The 3 lines references are:
battery overflow
airbox drain with catch bottle and cap
gas tank cap vent

All three of the above are accounted for and connected. This mysterious 4th line runs through a hole in the lower part of the fender liner, and when I found it, it was routed behind the sidestand switch cover and was simply lining next to the carb. It's a big line, about the same size as the airbox breather, too big to be any sort of carb line.

Any ideas? I can't find a vacuum hose routing diagram and poking around on various fiches is not netting any results.

Thanks!
Think its the drain hose for the float bowl on the carb.


Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
__________________
Check out my KLR650 engine rebuild @ http://myklr.wordpress.com/
NHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #2275
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
Think its the drain hose for the float bowl on the carb.


Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

You could be right, the float bowl does not have a tube on it. It just seems far too big for it. I think it will fit, but the thickness of the hose is much more than I'm used to seeing on a carb. I'll test it out and report back.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #2276
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
You could be right, the float bowl does not have a tube on it. It just seems far too big for it. I think it will fit, but the thickness of the hose is much more than I'm used to seeing on a carb. I'll test it out and report back.
CA bike?

Could be part of the fuel evaporative system, black hose?



Edit: here's a pic of the carb showing vent lines and the vacuum line to the petcock...

__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2277
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Hey,

For those of you whom have added the pro-taper se atv high bar, how much higher is it than the KLR stock? I would like more height for standing up while riding. Do they make a difference? I'm not worried about adding barkbusters, just the bars, and looking for more height. Thanks for your input.

Second thought, I was going to order some heavy duty tubes for my KLR also, do you need to order a size smaller to fit the tube, or the same size you would for a normal tube?

T
Pretty similar to stock. I put the Eagle Mike (tallest size) bar risers on. Very nice, and a great fit both seated and standing (I'm 6 feet).
__________________
Spending my daughter's inheritance one motorcycle at a time.
Bikes currently owned: '91 Honda Gold Wing with sidecar, '92 Kawi KLR650 with Enduro sidecar, '94 KLR650, KL250 Super Sherpa.
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #2278
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
CA bike?

Could be part of the fuel evaporative system, black hose?



Edit: here's a pic of the carb showing vent lines and the vacuum line to the petcock...
Non-CA bike, but the hose is black. Pretty sure the carb vents/drains, etc are all there (looked right when performing the T-Mod) except the bowl drain. Will have to dig in a little bit more later. I think that the key to verification on my part is that it's only hose that runs THROUGH the inner fender, there is a hole in the lip of the fender that retains it.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #2279
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Non-CA bike, but the hose is black. Pretty sure the carb vents/drains, etc are all there (looked right when performing the T-Mod) except the bowl drain. Will have to dig in a little bit more later. I think that the key to verification on my part is that it's only hose that runs THROUGH the inner fender, there is a hole in the lip of the fender that retains it.
If I was at home I'd run out to the shop and look at one of my parts bikes and tell you....

If you don't have an answer sooner, this evening you will.
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #2280
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
If I was at home I'd run out to the shop and look at one of my parts bikes and tell you....

If you don't have an answer sooner, this evening you will.
You rock, thanks!
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014