Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #2341
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobra65 View Post
I picked up the 60CSx and need to power it as simply as possible. Anybody know if it can be done? Simply that is.

Got a battery tender? A quick and easy way would be with the USB - SAE that Burnzilla sells:

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I used this on my XT and had it zip tied up underneath the fairing. It's currently on my KLR until I get my dashboard built out.

- just saw Thanantos reply, my setup is similar except I plug straight into the battery tender cable that is already hooked up on the bike. I have a pass through power port on my tank bag, run an SAE to cig lighter adapter in the bag to power a dual USB charger, and then run the single waterproof USB up to the handlebars for GPS. I plan to install one of these:

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/p...ort-2-amp.html

on the dashboard as well as a waterproof cig lighter, eventually.

sandalscout screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 06:10 AM
sandalscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #2342
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 850
Should find anything you need HERE, keep it simple.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #2343
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
I wrote up a long-service review a while back, a long while back actually, but it's still there if anyone is interested:
http://bikerdave.blogspot.ca/2008/07...ce-review.html

David...
Just wanted to let you know that I read this, and a bunch more, on your old blog. Good write-ups, nice set of material. Thanks for putting all down in electrons for the rest of us.

I'm finding I enjoy the KLR in a lot of the same ways you do (though probably with less success as I don't have any dirt racing in my background). The KLR is the only dirt-anything I've owned. But I enjoy tougher 2-track more than logging roads, logging roads more than dirt roads (and mud not really at all). Single track and I are in discussions.

I think it's a phenomenal bike for all the reasons you cite. The limits, most of the time, are mine.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #2344
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I read this, and a bunch more, on your old blog. Good write-ups, nice set of material. Thanks for putting all down in electrons for the rest of us.

I'm finding I enjoy the KLR in a lot of the same ways you do (though probably with less success as I don't have any dirt racing in my background). The KLR is the only dirt-anything I've owned. But I enjoy tougher 2-track more than logging roads, logging roads more than dirt roads (and mud not really at all). Single track and I are in discussions.

I think it's a phenomenal bike for all the reasons you cite. The limits, most of the time, are mine.
The KLR will do single track but, unless you've done suspension upgrades & have experience with a real dirt bike, single track is best kept to a minimum. Logging roads & mild jeep trails are fun for anyone but, I call shenanigans on anyone who says they like mud on a KLR. I don't mind sand in short intrivals but, mud "usually" ends with me doing a U-turn.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #2345
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Magellan sells a mini USB direct wire adapter .. not to tough to install .. on a gen1 you can use the aux power up front to feed it ..

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #2346
Kurt Franz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Maker View Post
Simply watch the temperature gauge on a cold day. Do you see how the temperature slowly builds up to the
160 deg it takes to open the t-stat, then the temp drops quickly, and slowly rises again. If you havent seen this, go riding.

With the thermo bob the temp rises to 190 and stays there. period.

The bike run better at proper operating temperature. Get out and ride on a cold day and you will see for yourself. if its 50 deg and sunny out i'm riding. In those temperatures the bike runs crappy with the stock setup.

This is one of the few products on the market that does exactly as described. period.
Anyone who hasn't seen these wide temperature swings on the temp gauge is blind. And odiously the temperature swings are worse when it is colder out.
The bike runs better at proper operating temperature........ah yeah ....that can be said for any vehicle. My bike rides just fine at 50 degrees without the thermostat being modified - just as every other bike will as well. How many of these bikes do you think would have been sold if they rode poorly in 50 degree weather?

C'mon fellas let's use some common sense here,
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #2347
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
...I'm finding I enjoy the KLR in a lot of the same ways you do (though probably with less success as I don't have any dirt racing in my background). The KLR is the only dirt-anything I've owned. But I enjoy tougher 2-track more than logging roads, logging roads more than dirt roads (and mud not really at all). Single track and I are in discussions...
Yeah, mud and log crossings... not KLR friendly. Long winding loose rocky hills that would leave most dirtbikers cringing, and digging holes... not a problem. The KLR is a weird bike.

I actually bought the KLR as a street bike, seriously. After splattering my CB750 (again) on a left-turning cage, an accident that was technically the cagers fault but I should have been able to avoid, I decided that born-and-raised dirtbikers don't belong on "real" street bikes. All my instincts are wrong on a street bike... the twitch that would have snapped my dirt bike to attention was completely ignored by the big heavy beast. After the insurance company paid me for the CB, and a wee bit for pain and suffering after smashing through my fairing and somersaulting over the back of the cage, I decided dual-sport was as far as I would/should go. I spent a few years on a Honda XL350 and enjoyed it but still owned my XR250 for serious fun. I actually wanted to go "adventure touring" and thought the XL was too small for that (very annoying on the highway) so I bought the KLR to replace it.

Then, I found out I'm not the iron-butt adventure tourer that I was in my dreams. Hated it, actually. Those guys that ride for weeks/months are the serious bikers in my book. I just play and 3 days is about my limit before I start whining about wanting to do something else, like go home

Somehow, the street bike I bought for adventure touring ended up being used as an enduro race bike. I've actually raced that thing more than my XR250, and have more trophies from it too Not really surprising considering that I've owned it for so long. That said, the KLR is not really a dirt bike. It doesn't ride like a dirt bike, nor a street bike, but is rather a thing unto itself. The bike is so, so capable but it really depends on the rider being able to give it what it wants, and that takes a lot of practice. So many people do so many things on them that it's easy to get in way over your head. Just because people ride these things around entire continents doesn't mean I can.

Where do you want to go today? Give it half a chance and the KLR will get you there.

David...

P.S. Thanks for the blog comments... Yeah, sometimes I like writing. Can't help myself. Sorry.
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #2348
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
The bike runs better at proper operating temperature........ah yeah ....that can be said for any vehicle. My bike rides just fine at 50 degrees without the thermostat being modified - just as every other bike will as well. How many of these bikes do you think would have been sold if they rode poorly in 50 degree weather?

C'mon fellas let's use some common sense here,
You stop that, right now!! There are intolerant, religious types here (and at that KLR-specific forum) who simply will not - WILL NOT, I say - abide by your heretical words!

The Thermo-jiggity thing is an absolute necessity or your KLR will barely last 80 thousand miles.

Never mind that it and the DRZ 400 are *the* most popular and numerous dual-sport bikes on planet Earth and neither has a thermostat bypass. Never mind that the thermostat begins to open at 167 degrees and is fully open at 194 (per the Clymer manual), and isn't a hard seal when fully closed. None of this can possibly prevent catastrophic shock-cooling.

(I hesitated to re-open this discussion but the religious aspect that it takes on is just damn foolish.)

Of course, my DRZ E-model has neither thermostat nor cooling fan, so its engine sees really, reall cold and really, really hot conditions. These engines, too, last a long, long time - even for a high-output, off-road model.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2349
SeanPNW
Water Bear

Oddometer: 431
Spoke to Joyce/Rick at Cogent. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Will have a new set of Cogent springs up front and rear shortly it sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPNW View Post
Thanks you two this is helpful. Sounds like the thing to do is just ring them up and see what he recommends. Man I love good customer service.

Appreciate the help.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #2350
kingcobra65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Got a battery tender? A quick and easy way would be with the USB - SAE that Burnzilla sells:

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I used this on my XT and had it zip tied up underneath the fairing. It's currently on my KLR until I get my dashboard built out.

- just saw Thanantos reply, my setup is similar except I plug straight into the battery tender cable that is already hooked up on the bike. I have a pass through power port on my tank bag, run an SAE to cig lighter adapter in the bag to power a dual USB charger, and then run the single waterproof USB up to the handlebars for GPS. I plan to install one of these:

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/p...ort-2-amp.html

on the dashboard as well as a waterproof cig lighter, eventually.
That looks like what I need. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #2351
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
So I've got to bleed the brakes on my "06, and the rear master cylinder cover says use dot 3, The front one says use dot 4. What's with that? Can I use dot 4 in the rear?

JIm

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #2352
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
So I've got to bleed the brakes on my "06, and the rear master cylinder cover says use dot 3, The front one says use dot 4. What's with that? Can I use dot 4 in the rear?

JIm
Yes, use DOT 4 in both. The specs probably are due to the heat ranges for the respective fluids, with the higher heat tolerances for the front where most braking power is applied.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2353
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 392
doohickey torsion spring...

So I just opened up my new/used $300 93 klr (33,000 miles on it) this past week to put in eagle mike's doohickey and torsion spring and happily found that one of the two previous owners had already put in an aftermarket doohickey and spring....I ended up installing all the new parts I purchased anyway...

the torsion spring has significant spring pull compared to either of the standard spring options that usually/ used to come with eagle mike's doohickey kit...(has to do mostly with hole drill location)

though tonight I began to wonder how the new torsion spring will hold up?...the stock springs used to break/fall off somehow? (both the lever and the spring people have found in pieces in their cases/motors)...not really sure how all that happens in the first place.

I wonder how many miles/adjustments folks out there have/or will get with the new torsion spring....
will it break? or hold up over the miles/vibrations/heat cycles, etc?

This is my second KLR, my first I bought, bran new, back in 2000 (went up to 72,000 miles before it started to burn oil bad and parts were failing all over it, I then sold it to get a GS).... I had a doohickey and/or spring failure (around 30,000 if I remember), but the bike was under warranty so when I started to have strange noises/symptoms of an issure I just brought it into the dealer and it was repaired (major internal damage after the fact from doohickey failure)....I can't recall if I had or they put in an aftermarket one, my motorcycle dualsport riding/mechanical days were just beggining back then....

anyway, just sum thoughs...
check out the outcome of the repairs/upgrades at: http://www.twaroundtheworld.com/trip-preparations.html
I put in about $1500 of repairs and upgrades after purchasing it...used my previously owned luggage boxes
new jessie luggage rack
new/used tires
progressive spring upgrade, new dust/oil seals
fork brace
new progressive rear suspension
bash plate
radiator gaurd
magnetic drain plug
new handlebars
new front fender
heated grips
re upholstered seat
new chain/sprockets
eagle mikes doohickey/torsion spring upgrade
FMF exhaust pipe
hand gaurds
new oil/filter
euro plug install
new spark plug
new air filter

jonyfi screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 08:39 PM
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2354
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Which style to go with? 07 and older, or 08 and newer???

Hey guys, Tanman again. I'm still doing more homework and reading your guys input about buying my first KLR. So I'm convinced for sure that these bikes are built for the long haul. I wouldn't mind something 5-10 years old if need be. But I can't decide and make up my mind about whether I want an old style or new style(08newer) machine. I like them both, and there isn't much difference from what I see. But I have read that the new style machine does have a bit better engine/drivetrain than the older bikes. What do you guys think? Thanks again...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2355
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
The KLR will do single track but, unless you've done suspension upgrades & have experience with a real dirt bike, single track is best kept to a minimum. Logging roads & mild jeep trails are fun for anyone but, I call shenanigans on anyone who says they like mud on a KLR. I don't mind sand in short intrivals but, mud "usually" ends with me doing a U-turn.
I've done some pretty gnarly stuff on the KLR and I'd do most of it again tomorrow, but single track is a no go.

I did three miles once of 3 foot whoops and trees so tight that I had to turn the bars to get through. Worst 30 minutes of my life.

I assume the guy on the KLX250 that started ahead of me had a damn good time, but after about 100 yards I never saw him again.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote