ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #2641
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I had a Supertrapp on my Transalp. It was a nice pipe. All stainless steel, the threaded nut thingies that the screws for the disks screwed into were sturdy and didn't strip. No rusting mid pipe, and it was all stainless. Mine was well packed and over about 10k mi it never needed repacking. That was a design from about 1988.

The IDS2 I had was the straight thru "racing" model. I got it used, needed to put an endcap and disk (spacers) on it--and repacked it at the same time.

What makes it shitty:

The body of the muffler is aluminum--prone to denting, getting misshaped, and is difficult to repack. Also never looks good.

The fasteners that hold the endcap and disks on tend to strip as do the fasteners that hold the front of the muffler to the actual muffler tube.

The mid pipe is mid steel that comes painted with black (barbeque) paint. Under the paint, the pipe rusts--so that it looks like shit. Kinda like Gen 1 KLR header pipe.

The pipe is loud. If you use few enough disks to keep it quiet, it's restrictive. If you open it up to try to get some gas flow, it's a loud sumbitch.

Sorry, Supertrapp, but this is an old, tired design that never was any good.

If you get one of the competition, my XCR for example, you get a quality system approach to an exhaust can. It's USFS certified. The fasteners don't strip, the body of the muffler looks well built and polished. And it comes with a stainless mid-pipe that starts out shiny-chromie and heats in to a golden color that perfectly matches the golden brown of the stock Gen2 exhaust header. Mine has about 7000 miles on it and still doesn't appear to need a repack. And it's quiet enough that my neighbors (mostly blue hairs) haven't complained.

I've said that one of the pipes I'm really impressed with is the Leo Vince. Well built, quiet, & legal in the forests. Nice competitive price, and it's got stainless steel packing. If I were buying another pipe, it would be Leo Vince.

If all you can afford is Supertrapp, save a little longer and get something else.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #2642
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I've said that one of the pipes I'm really impressed with is the Leo Vince. Well built, quiet, & legal in the forests. Nice competitive price, and it's got stainless steel packing. If I were buying another pipe, it would be Leo Vince.

If all you can afford is Supertrapp, save a little longer and get something else.

I've had a lot of different exhausts on my KLR, I now have the Leo Vince.
It's well made, fits nicely and with the quiet tip and the spark screen in place, it's quiet enough to sneak up on wildlife.

And! It never needs repacking.

from Happy-Trail.com:
*Important Technical Note 02/27/2012: Manny Hauswirth, US Technical Manager for LeoVince USA reports: "The KLR slip-on uses one of our Enduro style mufflers with a mechanical baffle and does not require repacking. It is not advisable to disassemble this silencer."

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #2643
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,789
Quote:
I had a Supertrapp on my Transalp. It was a nice pipe. All stainless steel, the threaded nut thingies that the screws for the disks screwed into were sturdy and didn't strip. No rusting mid pipe, and it was all stainless. Mine was well packed and over about 10k mi it never needed repacking. That was a design from about 1988.
The last bike I had a SuperTrapp on was my 1976 XT 500.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #2644
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Set of KLR Wheels for sale

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799784

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #2645
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
If you get one of the competition, my XCR for example, you get a quality system approach to an exhaust can. It's USFS certified. The fasteners don't strip, the body of the muffler looks well built and polished. And it comes with a stainless mid-pipe that starts out shiny-chromie and heats in to a golden color that perfectly matches the golden brown of the stock Gen2 exhaust header. Mine has about 7000 miles on it and still doesn't appear to need a repack. And it's quiet enough that my neighbors (mostly blue hairs) haven't complained.
Where did you buy your XRC from?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #2646
Scarred Adventurer

Mine was the previous manufacturer's product, White Bros. I live it Tucson and got it from a guy who lives in Silver City NM. It had a minor scratch in the black endcap, but had fewer than 300 miles on it. Got it for $125 in '09. I'm a very patient shopper--I scooped it up from the classifieds on KLR650.net.

If I were getting one today, they're now marketed by Vance & Hines, I'd shop the 'net for the best price. These guys have a good price $254.95 with free shipping. http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...uctid=18000037

Btw, they show an optional spark arrestor--mine has one, and I think that the muffler comes with one, standard, and I wouldn't bother with the optional inserts.

There's an old review 2007--with sound checks--over at KLRWorld. http://klrworld.com/index.php?option...=99&Itemid=138 Not my favorite source for info, but nice pictures and some useful data.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #2647
bwbeck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I put a Super Trapp on and after about 600 miles in to a weekend trip i gassed it getting on the Interstate and blew everything out the Ass. When I made it home I put my stock one back on.
bwbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2648
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,557

I run the Vance & Hines after trashing my IDS on a repack.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #2649
kckeeny
Poor Bastard

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbeck View Post
I put a Super Trapp on and after about 600 miles in to a weekend trip i gassed it getting on the Interstate and blew everything out the Ass. When I made it home I put my stock one back on.

My IDS did the same. Not sure on the mileage but I bought it with 8K (muffler install date unknown) the can blew out on me around 10K. I was on a 300 mile trip and when I arrived the can was junk. Bolts striped out, spark arrester rattling around, and obnoxiously loud. I rode her home (in the rain) and put the stocker on. It was hard for me to put the stock pipe on, I suppose like an old man accepting that he needs a cane. But I really like the quiet bike now. I have prided myself in the past on making my wife ask "How did you find a bike louder than your last?" when ever I brought home a new bike. There IS power lost, and mileage saved when re jetting back to stock with the pipe. I don't care what a dyno says- I feel the power loss now. Not that the bike had much to loose in the first place.

If I were to get a new pipe for it, I would get the Leo. I've had good luck with them in the past- just not sure if it is proper on a KLR.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #2650
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,137
So is there any way to improve upon the suspension? My bikes is pretty muck stock, not blown, but it still feels a bit soft for me.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #2651
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
So is there any way to improve upon the suspension? My bikes is pretty muck stock, not blown, but it still feels a bit soft for me.
Rick at Cogent Dynamics or I went with Ricors front and back. A bit more money and kinda cutting edge.... I love them. They act so differently on and off road.....
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2652
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post

I run the Vance & Hines after trashing my IDS on a repack.
The White Bros version looks a bit difference (pic credit; KLRWorld)

Looks like V&H economized on the concept. (Glad I got the old style.)

685 screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 09:22 PM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #2653
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
For suspension upgrades +1 on Rick at Cogent Dynamics.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #2654
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
I went with progressive springs up front and progressive 465 w/RAP rear shock.
I got a great deal on both.
My bike is a whole new bike now and I love it more.
One thing I noticed with the 465 shock, it raised my bike an inch or so.
Not a deal breaker in my book, even though I'm only 5'7" with a 29"-30" inseam.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #2655
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
For suspension upgrades +1 on Rick at Cogent Dynamics.
+1 as well.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote