Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #2716
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Question for those who have had issues with the footpeg bolts. I went off a small, seemingly harmless jump that even a prius could handle, come to find out that my landing was rougher than expected, due to losing a footpeg. Turns out, the bolts holding the peg in stripped right on out, pulling all of the threads from the frame with them. How would I go about fixing this? Funny thing is I had just tightened the bolts up earlier, they were a tid bit loose.

I was thinking of drilling through the frame entirely then using some grade 8 bolts and nuts. Welding them on, nor welding braces on does not seem optional at this point..

I would avoid drilling the frame. Some people drill and retap to a larger size bolt, but that has some problems due to the close spacing of the bolts. Others have done what I recently posted:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=581

I used 2 nuts welded on the back for more thread length along with stronger bolts. Usually the nut that strips.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2717
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,598
Is it just me? I'm tired of rehashing the same ole KLR issues....................thinking of selling the KLR, keeping the GS1150 and getting a WR250R.

Am I wrong?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #2718
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Is it just me? I'm tired of rehashing the same ole KLR issues....................thinking of selling the KLR, keeping the GS1150 and getting a WR250R.

Am I wrong?
Yes, if you've done any upgrades the only way to get your money out of it is to wear it out.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #2719
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Question for those who have had issues with the footpeg bolts. I went off a small, seemingly harmless jump that even a prius could handle, come to find out that my landing was rougher than expected, due to losing a footpeg. Turns out, the bolts holding the peg in stripped right on out, pulling all of the threads from the frame with them. How would I go about fixing this? Funny thing is I had just tightened the bolts up earlier, they were a tid bit loose.

I was thinking of drilling through the frame entirely then using some grade 8 bolts and nuts. Welding them on, nor welding braces on does not seem optional at this point..
It wouldn't be from your 8 foot of air jumping earlier huh?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2720
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
As anyone following the NFL knows, it has lead to unrealistic expectations from the New York Jets as well. Certainly, most observers do not associate them with positive action words; despite expectations, they are, in reality, rather passive.
Touche', Gooch; LOL!

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #2721
Lakeguy556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Anyone else here have weird "harmonics" issues with their 08+ KLR after installing HT nerf bars and skid plate?.

Figured this may be normal given some "metal to metal" contact with the frame but damn its annoying. I installed everything according to the instructions, using the rubber washers. I get this God aweful noise at around 4K on the tach. Some noise also on the lower end RPM's but the 4K noise is majorly fucking annoying.
Lakeguy556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #2722
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
It wouldn't be from your 8 foot of air jumping earlier huh?
Who knows. I think I'm just going to get a helicoil kit to re-do both sides.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #2723
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:

Am I wrong?
They're bikes -- as long as you have one, you can't be wrong.

Are you tired of the discussion? Or are you tired of the issues? No problem with either -- every bike has its issues. I think what you're seeing is that the KLR-A is really the best compromise on the market. If you're tired of compromising, you're tired of it.

The fact is that the WR250R is better on trails and in the woods than a KLR can ever hope to be. It's also a more-than-competent dual sport tourer, properly set up. It's not as comfortable or as torquey as the KLR, nor is it as planted on high-speed dirt. The GS is better on roads than the KLR can ever hope to be. It's also capable of carrying huge loads in rough off-highway terrain properly handled. It will never be as good on trails or in the woods as a well-sorted KLR. Both are more expensive.

If you find that you no longer need to occupy the niche the KLR fills, or you find the special charms of this bike have become the particular aggravations you can no longer compass, then ride other bikes and don't apologize.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #2724
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:

Am I wrong?
.. not wrong .. but you'll be rehashing new old issues there too .. lol ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #2725
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Quote:
Who knows. I think I'm just going to get a helicoil kit to re-do both sides.
This is your best bet, I reckon.

I replaced my 99 KLR's frame (oops), and even though the new frame's footpeg mounts were like new, I Helicoile'd 'em and replaced the bolts with stronger bolts (the same size as OEM).

The problem is that the stock captive nuts only have a couple of threads for the bolts to engage, and there is a non-threaded space between the end of the nuts and the outside of the box the foootpegs bolt to.
Drilling, tapping, and Helicoiling the hole changes that space to threads... gives the bolts more thread area to engage.

I'm no engineer, but that is my best guess....Makes sense to me.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #2726
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,160
Wound up ordering a helicoil kit on Amazon, going to do both sides. Ontop of that, will be replacing the cheap sub par bolts with good quality grade 8 bolts.

While I'm going to be at the hardware store, is there any other cheap bolts that I should replace while I'm at it? Subframe bolts perhaps?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #2727
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Wound up ordering a helicoil kit on Amazon, going to do both sides. Ontop of that, will be replacing the cheap sub par bolts with good quality grade 8 bolts.

While I'm going to be at the hardware store, is there any other cheap bolts that I should replace while I'm at it? Subframe bolts perhaps?
The way you ride your KLR, I would suggest you upgrade the subframe bolts.
The KLR is a heavy bike and going airborne with it like you do, may cause the stock bolts to break.
I'd hate them to break on you after a hard landing.
You might get injured.
I ordered my subframe bolts from Eagle Mike.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #2728
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
+1 on Eagle Manufacturing and Engineering. He ships it out so fast you'd swear it was on the way before you ordered it plus he is a WEALTH of information and willing to share it....
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #2729
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
.. yep .. Eagle Mike's knowledge and gear are pretty dang far up the ladder .. not sure he's beatable in what he does .. everything I have ordered from him has gotten here fast and just flat works like it should and looks good doing it ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #2730
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Question KLR Rider with Electrical Problem in Bolivia

Hey KLR Brethren,
I'm a DR rider in need of your problem-solving skills to help a stranded KLR rider in Bolivia. I met him during my RTW trip through there and he graciously hosts any travelers passing through. Alfonso just emailed me this morning and this is his message:

"Hi Jay, I need your help,

My klr/2001 has an electrical problem. the battery has no charge, measuring the voltages, at 1000 rpms. gives 12v. but with more rpm, the voltage drops to 5v. The battery is new and the fuses are good. The motorcycle, pushing it still works, but I have to travel another 550 kms. and my fear is that somewhere can be stopped. I am in Potosi heading to La Paz.

You know my english is poor to manage the klr-forums.
Best regards,
Alfonso"

I'm not sure what the problem could be, something with the stator? Any ideas on what he could do to get him back home to La Paz? It's high altitude terrain up there, like 14,000 ft.

Thanks for your help!
Jay

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote