Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #271
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Ok, question for the KLR minds.
I just got back from the Barstow to Vegas ride where my '00 KLR gave about about 3/4 of the way through. I just pulled the head today and all 4 valves are bent from the piston making contact with them. (Ill get some pics soon). Anyway, what the heck would cause that to happen. The bike has relatively low miles, about 8,300 and I had just checked the valve clearances within the last 1k miles. Ideas?
Possibly, cam chain jumped one or more sprocket teeth . . . again, possibly, the result of a loose (as in, not reset) or defective cam chain tensioner . . .

Out of valve timing, piston and valves could collide.

Wnen you tear down, check the camshaft sprocket witness marks for valve timing, if you can, after the carnage.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 04:54 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #272
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,561
"Possibly, cam chain jumped one or more sprocket teeth . . . again, possibly, the result of a loose (as in, not reset) or defective cam chain tensioner . . . Out of valve timing, piston and valves could collide.
When you tear down, check the camshaft sprocket witness marks for valve timing, if you can, after the carnage. "

Agree. Having taken the head off evidence of timing out may have been lost. There should be some evidence on the chain and sprockets.

Seen bent valves the result of broken pistons.
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #273
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Rather weird question here. Just spent some time with Bro-Bro, who uses my shop to manufacture custom guitar and harmonica amps. He's an early iron-head, who's run Yamaha XS 650s for about thirty years. Today, he went off on carb combos on the XS. I get lost within five minutes of his talk, but one thing piqued my interest. He spoke of putting a smaller, single carb on an XS twin with an appropriate two-to-one manifold. Reportedly, the rig would not pass 85 mph, but was putting out massive low end and rode at about 65 mpg. Is this a possibility for the KLR? Most of us want more upper end, but could the torques and the mileage be achieved through carburation rather than gearing?
I also ran XS and TX 650s for years . . . . . all by itself, going to a smaller carb on anything won't give you more torque -- you could, however, easily improve the milage, so long as the carb was well dialed in, and the operator didn't try to replicate the performance available with the bigger carb ;-}

Going from two carbs to one might alter the power band a bit, allowing the max torque to be available at a lower rpm, and it just may, coupled with exhaust and cam changes, actually create more torque than the stock two carb setup . . . . changes like this were often done on Bonnevilles and Comandos and Rockets, but the biggest reason for doing so was to cut the number of drolling, hard to tune carbs in half ;-}

Gearing also doesn't really change the available torque -- it simply moves it around a bit . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #274
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,490
IMS 6.6, Tank Wow. Great Value.

Just got done with the first mileage trials on my IMS 6.6 tank (the $250 ish one). I ordered it in the translucent color, so I could see fuel level at all times. It took me a while to get around the drab color. Today I lost my last fragment of chrome fixation.

I'd hoped to have some idea of all-up range well before this, but we had a hard spate of snow and the conditions weren't friendly. In the past few days, I've managed to clock enough miles to get a real handle on the range.

Today, at 285 miles, I had to switch to reserve. On the stock tank, I rarely rode more than 230 before things started to cough and shake. Today, I filled 6.3 gallons with about an inch of space above the petcock at 308 miles. I'd hoped to see 350 in total mileage from the IMS. 325 miles is probably a best guess for safe range with some residual fuel in the corners. If you want better, ride a wheelie to the next filling station. The unusable fuel is toward the front.

Like this one, sure enough. Good gear.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #275
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. good intel ..

.. notice any left-right difference in fuel level like you find on the stock tank?? ..

Quote:
Just got done with the first mileage trials on my IMS 6.6 tank (the $250 ish one). I ordered it in the translucent color, so I could see fuel level at all times. It took me a while to get around the drab color. Today I lost my last fragment of chrome fixation.

I'd hoped to have some idea of all-up range well before this, but we had a hard spate of snow and the conditions weren't friendly. In the past few days, I've managed to clock enough miles to get a real handle on the range.

Today, at 285 miles, I had to switch to reserve. On the stock tank, I rarely rode more than 230 before things started to cough and shake. Today, I filled 6.3 gallons with about an inch of space above the petcock at 308 miles. I'd hoped to see 350 in total mileage from the IMS. 325 miles is probably a best guess for safe range with some residual fuel in the corners. If you want better, ride a wheelie to the next filling station. The unusable fuel is toward the front.

RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #276
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. notice any left-right difference in fuel level like you find on the stock tank?? ..
Padre Bill, fuel seems to transfer well between the two sections of the IMS. My ride was about 60% paved county roads, 30% gravel with a small section of gritty ruts and bumps, and the balance of miles on the inter-slab this afternoon. No other bike in my stable will approach that by half.

If I'm riding long miles on the slab, I'll confess that the KLR is not my first choice. It doesn't shed wind well. That's not what it was designed to do.

Canuman screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 08:26 PM
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #277
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. thanks ..

.. been eyeballing one of those and was wondering how they did left-right .. appreciate the reply .. should solve my "issue" with the stock tank nicely ..

Quote:
Padre Bill, fuel seems to transfer well between the two sections of the IMS. My ride was about 60% paved county roads, 30% gravel with a small section of gritty ruts and bumps, and the balance of miles on the inter-slab this afternoon. No other bike in my stable will approach that by half.

If I'm riding long miles on the slab, I'll confess that the KLR is not my first choice. It doesn't shed wind well. That's not what it was designed to do. But praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, we have a bike here.
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #278
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Are the tanks on the pre-08 KLRs smaller. I have gone 230 on my 08 , and if I remember correctly I "only" took four and one half or five gallons to refill. I belive that I could go 280+ easily before reserve and then maybe30 more miles. How far have some of you guys gone on reserve??
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #279
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Are the tanks on the pre-08 KLRs smaller. I have gone 230 on my 08 , and if I remember correctly I "only" took four and one half or five gallons to refill. I belive that I could go 280+ easily before reserve and then maybe30 more miles. How far have some of you guys gone on reserve??
They are 6.1 gal or 23L. I get 50km on reserve......31 miles
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #280
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Possibly, cam chain jumped one or more sprocket teeth . . . again, possibly, the result of a loose (as in, not reset) or defective cam chain tensioner . . .

Out of valve timing, piston and valves could collide.

Wnen you tear down, check the camshaft sprocket witness marks for valve timing, if you can, after the carnage.
+1 on the timing chain jumping a tooth. mine did exactly that, but it was caused by a washer that broke free and floated around until it landed btwn the timing gear and chain. luckily no bent valves.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #281
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
They are 6.1 gal or 23L. I get 50km on reserve......31 miles
There seems to be some debate over the actual capacity of the stock tank. Kawasaki says 6.1, but others claim a true capacity of quite a lot less: as few as 5.5 gallons. There is a thread (or two) here on ADV regarding the IMS tanks, and it appears that they are conservatively rated. I'm certain that the 6.6 gal rating is accurate, as I pumped 6.3 with usable fuel remaining in the tank. Some have seen capacities closer to 7 gallons in the IMS. I'm sure that this is due to manufacturing variances - a few mms of of plastic could make a difference.

People claim that there is about a quart unusable in both tanks, some of which can be converted to miles by tipping the bike pretty far on to the left side.

So, in the worst case scenario, the IMS gives only a half gallon more. In the best case scenario, it could be as much as a gallon and a half. In my subjective tests, the difference between my stocker and the IMS appears to be about a gallon. I purchased mine in the translucent white color (they also make a translucent green) so I can get a visual check on the situation rather than guessing. In the picture, the fuel is just to the top of the radiator vents.

Then there's my secret weapon on the left rear. I know that holds an additional gallon.

Detail of home-cooked Rotopax mount for Wolfman racks:

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #282
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Suerte View Post
+1 on the timing chain jumping a tooth. mine did exactly that, but it was caused by a washer that broke free and floated around until it landed btwn the timing gear and chain. luckily no bent valves.
Thats what Im starting to think. I just pulled the left side case and found the doohickey broken and haven't found the spring yet. So, who knows where is should get the head fixed up at? Maybe I might as well get oversized valves put in?
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #283
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:

Safari tank has about 8-9 gal capacity @ $581
http://justgastanks.com/p2292/KLR650...duct_info.html
Attached Images

Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #284
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6 View Post

Another view from the side...Safari test bike.
Attached Images

Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #285
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6 View Post
I'd considered that, but for the price difference, I can buy several Rotopax (which I purchased from Just Gas Tanks) and swap them around on different machines. I'm currently cooking up a mount that will allow me to put one on my WeeStrom with the Givi bags. The Wee has relatively the same range as the stock KLR. It's going to be a breeze mounting the Pax to my sidecar rig, and for that matter, the GS850, both of which are kind of thirsty. For that matter, the Aprilia and the BMW could occasionally do with an extra gallon or two. Modular is cool, in my opinion.

This also looks pretty nifty, again from our friends at Just Gas Tanks:

Name:  ead9_1.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  14.7 KB

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=351