Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #286
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6 View Post
Another view from the side...Safari test bike.

I really like this idea, but, it really upsets me that there isn't an easy way to get at the fuel down low in the side wings so to speak in the tank. If there was a way to get that fuel into the trapped section as they say, it would be a much better design.
OH, just thought of this, why couldn't you put a squeeze bulb fitting attached to each side of the tank wings and then pump that lost fuel into the trapped section? That would solve the problem....no? I don't own a plastic tank so don't know how well it accepts fittings to it for doing just this type of thing. What do you think?
This if possible will make me think hard about buying one of these tanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #287
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I swear by the Kenda 761's. They have great long distance characteristics and wear well if kept to 34 rear 32 front. If you go off road they will work well enough once aired down to maybe 15psi. I gave the set to a friend with maybe 1/4 tread left. Amazing wear for such a cheap tire! My cross country trip was 17,000kms added to the 2000kms before I left and maybe another 4000-5000kms after the trip. Not bad for what $160 a set!
Gr8 post, best price I can find on Kenda 761's is www.TiresUnlimited.com

My $0.02 (having owned ~5 KLR650's and serviced ~25):

Mechanical:
1.) Clean and pack the following bearings with high-quality grease (every 3 years or so):
-Steering head bearings, and check these as they tend to come loose often.
-All rear suspension moving parts (I know it's a bit of work to take your bike 1/2 apart but eye-opening once you see the lack of grease and rust everywhere).
-Front and rear axles (or apply anti-seize liberally).

2.) Check your valves. Wondering why this bike gets a famous reputation for starting/running well ...

3.) Have a mechanic drill out the airscrew block-off plate and set the idle mixture correctly (or do this yourself if you can).

4.) Clean your air filter more often than your friends.
-A 650cc bike running an air filter smaller than a YZ80.

5.) Lubricate your clutch cable, and all the rest while you are at it. Decreases clutch pull force a lot.

6.) The loose-fitting kickstand always makes me wonder. I take these off, clean the gunk out of them, then reinstall and consider making a copper washer to add so it's not flopping and hitting the swingarm (some make a huge deep groove in the swingarm which looks bad).

Functional/Asthetics/Toys:
Vendors are happy to take your money. A friend did a fusebox and heavy-duty headlight wiring upgrade and regrets those kits. As most know, folks farkle a KLR to make it something it will never be.

Happy trails products: I like their full aluminum pannier kit, but the rest of their stuff seems very heavy in weight.

Tall windshields: Why not? Just ordered my first non-homemade one from eBay.

Panniers: I like hard bags for my mainly city use, but most people like soft bags after they actually get some seasons of dual-sporting in. Soft bags are usually 40lbs lighter in weight, repairable, hundreds of dollars cheaper, withstand crashes/tip-overs better, make the bike 2 feet narrower, etc.

Tires: I think most guys get more aggressive tires than they need. I come across a lot of usable used tires and run them until you can see the thread. In 17 years of motorcycling, I think I've bought 6 new sets of tires in my life, and 5 were on bikes that I sold 30 days later. This is a money-saving thing on my part, but also results from the fact that most people toss tires that have a lot of service life left.

Oil/Plugs: For the low price, I change these as needed and the sparky about every 2nd year or whenever I have the tank off.

Fuel Petcock Rebuild Kit: I've had some of Kawasaki's vacuum-operated fuel valves fail and leave me walking. I rebuild them with genuine Kawasaki parts. Not expensive, and minimizes failing. Some people modify them so fuel pressure is pushing all the time. I think there is some wisdom to having it regulated in terms of PSI and not having that force constant. $35 every 5-6 years is better than turning the fuel petcock on/off every time I'm on/off the bike. This is my opinion.

Suspension: For most people, the original setup is more than adequate. If you want to spend money, you are going to get good results from HD springs, intimidators, fancy rear shocks. Delegate funds appropriately, have fun.

Something about this bike makes me prefer to leave it alone (aside from aforementioned maintenance). Rolling into a fuel station or trailside hangout on what looks like a rock-stock KLR650 I paid $1500 for and my 'getting out' to the same places people think they need a GS, KTM990, etc has some smug feeling that I like. I admit this. Most ADV people are in fact super cool, and will say "Ah, a KLR, I love this! Best bike I had, etc...".

I had a guy from Australia trade me his brand-new F800GS for my 1999 KLR650 for the day of riding because the KLR he left back in Aus is his favorite bike ever. I own a r1150gs and prefer the KLR for everything except the interstate.

Maybe it's my self-done paint scheme?

It's going to get better yet with my Limey-Zebra painted fork/disk protectors, painted skidplate, top-o-liggage rack, and swingarm sides!

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #288
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6
Safari tank has about 8-9 gal capacity @ $581
http://justgastanks.com/p2292/KLR650...duct_info.html
Quote:
I'd considered that, but for the price difference, I can buy several Rotopax (which I purchased from Just Gas Tanks) and swap them around on different machines. I'm currently cooking up a mount that will allow me to put one on my WeeStrom with the Givi bags.
Here's CycleRacks' system with 1.25-gallon auxiliary fuel tank; augments any main fuel tank, stock or aftermarket:

Fillable while mounted on the bike; easily removable from the panniers when the saddle bags are taken into the motel at night; tankage and bracket from Kolpin.

Conceivably, an opposite-hand twin could be hung from the starboard side, but . . . mind the exhaust!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 07:43 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #289
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,529
Quote:
I really like this idea, but, it really upsets me that there isn't an easy way to get at the fuel down low in the side wings so to speak in the tank. If there was a way to get that fuel into the trapped section as they say, it would be a much better design.
OH, just thought of this, why couldn't you put a squeeze bulb fitting attached to each side of the tank wings and then pump that lost fuel into the trapped section? That would solve the problem....no? I don't own a plastic tank so don't know how well it accepts fittings to it for doing just this type of thing. What do you think?
This if possible will make me think hard about buying one of these tanks.
There's some information out there (I should have bookmarked it) on making a recovery system for the unusable fuel. As to working on/modifying the tank, it's HDPE, which cuts/drills/machines like cold butter -- once one has swallowed the terror of hacking into a very expensive item. I had to modify my petcock mount slightly, which took all of a minute with hand tools.

As a pilot, I simply accept unusable fuel as one of the cold facts of life. Very few systems are "good to the last drop."
It's quite common to specify aircraft capacities in two figures: total fuel and usable fuel. One needs the first figure to do weight and balance, and the second to know then the plane will change its characteristics from bird to piano.

I carry two aluminum liter Sigg bottles as a matter of course, even on road bikes in "civilized" areas. I rarely need to use them, but they provide a margin against the times I'm stupid, forgetful, or miscalculate somewhere. I have used them, and have been very grateful for the lack of walking/pushing they afforded. It's a cheap, low-tech solution that requires no mods to the tank or piping. Properly sealed, they can be stashed just about anywhere -- unlike plastic, the aluminum is truly impermeable.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #290
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Conceivably, an opposite-hand twin could be hung from the starboard side, but . . . mind the exhaust!
I've been considering the right side, but nooo. . . The proximity to the pipe is just too close. It could be made to work under most conditions, but in a right-side lay-down, the pipe may melt through the fuel pack and screw up all my pretty farkles. I'd be more comfortable putting something on top of the rack.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #291
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. stock fuel tank usage ..

You might also check out the tank mod where you use the in-tank airplane filter and a small length of hose run over to he right side of the tank to use that fuel first .. the hose is run inside the tank and lays along the bottom seam to stay in place ..

.. the way the original poster did it was by removing the petcock and trimming the intake lines (main fuel line and reserve line) and then (after slightly bending the main line to "point" in the right direction) added the "extension" to the main fuel line and running it over to the right-hand side of the tank .. the "lowered" reserve allows you to use more of the tank's capacity, but leaves you with less reserve ..

.. I actually have rounded up the part to do this and am going to try it out to see how it sorts out .. it just bothers me that I have to lean the bike over to get to the last 1.5 gallons of fuel .. it's not impossible .. just a pain in the fanny ..

.. failing that, it's going to be an IMS tank .. which might happen anyway ..

.. link to BigCee's site where there is a ton of information and links ..
http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

.. link to the tank mod I just briefly mentioned done by Skip Faulkner ..
http://www.bigcee.com/faq/fuelmod.html

.. like you, I also carry some spare fuel for JIC (just in case) moments .. I use two Primus (edit) 890ml (not 1L) bottles in the Agritubes bolted to the bottom of my panniers .. the only real trick is filling them .. lol ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
There's some information out there (I should have bookmarked it) on making a recovery system for the unusable fuel. As to working on/modifying the tank, it's HDPE, which cuts/drills/machines like cold butter -- once one has swallowed the terror of hacking into a very expensive item. I had to modify my petcock mount slightly, which took all of a minute with hand tools.

As a pilot, I simply accept unusable fuel as one of the cold facts of life. Very few systems are "good to the last drop."
It's quite common to specify aircraft capacities in two figures: total fuel and usable fuel. One needs the first figure to do weight and balance, and the second to know then the plane will change its characteristics from bird to piano.

I carry two aluminum liter Sigg bottles as a matter of course, even on road bikes in "civilized" areas. I rarely need to use them, but they provide a margin against the times I'm stupid, forgetful, or miscalculate somewhere. I have used them, and have been very grateful for the lack of walking/pushing they afforded. It's a cheap, low-tech solution that requires no mods to the tank or piping. Properly sealed, they can be stashed just about anywhere -- unlike plastic, the aluminum is truly impermeable.

RevBill screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 07:04 PM Reason: .. correcting fuel bottle size after I went out and double-checked .. DOH !!!
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #292
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
. . . like you, I also carry some spare fuel for JIC (just in case) moments .. I use two Primus 1L bottles in the Agritubes bolted to the bottom of my panniers .. the only real trick is filling them .. lol ..
After dousing myself with gas several times filling the Siggs from the pump (Hey, it cuts down the urge to smoke) I fill them from a one-gallon Blitz can or the Rotopax. I figure that all I can spill is two quarts then.

Canuman screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 04:26 PM
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #293
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. the one time I used one "in the field" I refilled it with a siphon hose I carry on the bike .. then topped off the tank (again) ..

.. like you, I fill them at home when I get gas for the lawn mowers .. use the fuel out of the Primus Bottles and then fill them back up with fresh from the jerry can .. it's a good way to keep the fuel fresh(er) .. though I don't think I can claim it's the freshest .. lol ..

.. I like the rotopax systems though .. been thinking hard about changing up my system when I switch panniers ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
After dousing myself with gas doing this several times filling the Siggs from the pump (Hey, it cuts down the urge to smoke) I fill them from a one-gallon Blitz can or the Rotopax. I figure that all I can spill is two quarts then.
(edit) .. I have started using a 1.5 liter Primus for "emergency" fuel .. and swapped out my 1L Primus cans for carrying exta oil in the agri tubes .. the plan is to mount the 1.5 Liter Primus cans on the back of the Mermite Panniers when I get them built/done and installed .. in the meanwhile the 1.5 L Primus fits neatly into the ammocan panniers I have now ..

RevBill screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 08:10 AM
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #294
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. awesome ..

I've got the toxic-green (lime green) also .. never thought of this .. that is awesome .. man if I wasn't going for the more "mil-spec" look this would be kewl and definitely up the "visual" when in traffic ..

.. I like it ..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #295
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have another question...has anyone opened up their metal tank and welded on extra metal to make a super tanker? For $500 speens, you should be able to have a decent resized tank, no? Or are we also worried about added weight as well....as if weight is an issue with a KLR in the firstplace...lol
I'm just thinking outloud again, that's all....?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #296
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
I have another question...has anyone opened up their metal tank and welded on extra metal to make a super tanker? For $500 speens, you should be able to have a decent resized tank, no? Or are we also worried about added weight as well....as if weight is an issue with a KLR in the firstplace...lol
I'm just thinking outloud again, that's all....?
.. lol .. good point about the weight .. lol .. I got asked the other day if I had weighed mine lately (since I have bolted on at least another 100 lbs of crap) ..

.. let's just ignore the fact that I weigh 280-300 lbs with my gear on ..

.. yes, there is a reason I beefed up the suspension .. lol .. it's because I have never in my life been considered "slim" .. well, once, but I was working way to hard at it ..

.. good question though .. the only ones I have seen done were the Dakar-prepped KLR 650's .. those were/are some pretty sweet setups (though they didn't fair to well in the race) ..
Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #297
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics...?????

I'm thinking if I can find out the best place to add material etc. Mock up a tank with styro foam just to see what it looks like. That is before making any silly decissions. Then make wooden copies of the styro foam additions, then either pound or weld a metal skin around said molds then make and cut, weld onto a second tank. I'm not cutting up my perfectly good tank, just yet....lol

If those tanks carried most of their fuel down low, you still have this fuel delivery issue. I also think the boat style bulb would be a workable thought to pump that hard to access fuel into a trapped section where it can be gravity fed to the carb....no?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #298
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

I like you have added so much weight to my bike if I took it all off, it would probably fly .....after all the engine work I have done to get it to be quicker than many stock or modified KLRs......lol
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #299
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,228
I've seen some guys install a fuel pump on the KLX250 with Acerbis tank. They use fuel hoses on the tank-side of the petcock, possibly weighted, to hang down into the bottom of the wings. This is very similar to many snowmobile applications where the fuel cannot gravity feed to the carb, especially on a steep high-mark climb. I'd think someone would have tried this with the KLR, but haven't stumbled across that thread yet. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335944
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #300
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. had to throw down some google-foo ..

.. I thought I had already saved some pics of these .. argh .. but I found them again .. here ya go .. KLR-Dakar porn ..

.. tank under development ..

.. in action ..

.. note .. not my pics (above) .. though I wish I had that bike ..

here's my piglet ..

Quote:
Pics...?????

I'm thinking if I can find out the best place to add material etc. Mock up a tank with styro foam just to see what it looks like. That is before making any silly decissions. Then make wooden copies of the styro foam additions, then either pound or weld a metal skin around said molds then make and cut, weld onto a second tank. I'm not cutting up my perfectly good tank, just yet....lol

If those tanks carried most of their fuel down low, you still have this fuel delivery issue. I also think the boat style bulb would be a workable thought to pump that hard to access fuel into a trapped section where it can be gravity fed to the carb....no?