Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #3001
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
The Eagle Mike petcock is actually the stock petcock from the yamaha or suzuki, I forgot which one. I have the same one in my 08. His price is comparable to any you will see on ebay and its fast. The only reason I went with ebay was because EM's paypal wasn't working for some reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #3002
coolerthanethan
Non-human

Oddometer: 22
Tks for the replies guys! From looking around i'm just gonna go with the yamaha atv petcock as i like things as simple as they can be. I also planned on pulling the carb and going through it regardless, and while the tank is off i'll check the plug and anything else i can get to. Sometimes low mileage garaged bikes seem to have more problems than high millage bikes ridden to hell and back. The last owner threw in a clymers manual with the bike and i've been wrenching on my own cars/bikes for 13 years so i'm not sweating the work, just didn't know which way to go on the petcock. I'll probably pick up an extra rebuild kit for the yamaha petcock just to have as well, and i got a carb kit on the way already.
coolerthanethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #3003
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Hi!

I am the proud new owner of a 2001 KLR 650. I just picked it up yesterday and rode it 300 miles home. Gotta say I liked it even more than I thought I would, and wish I would have done it sooner. It has 13k miles on it. It runs great, but needs a little love.

I need to get the dookickey done, but am not even slightly mechanically inclined. I do basic maintenance, but am not a good mechanic. I live in Wester CO (about an hour east of Grand Junction). Anyone know of any good experienced Doohickey mechanics in that area? Also, should I be frightened of my engine grenading if it takes a month or two to have it done? Should I just park it in the meantime? Most of my riding will be 65 mph highway. I might try a camping trip on it, but I'll scratch that idea if I'm putting the bike at risk.

Here's a pic:

Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #3004
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
[QUOTE=Powderaddict;19063093]Hi!

I am the proud new owner of a 2001 KLR 650. I just picked it up yesterday and rode it 300 miles home. Gotta say I liked it even more than I thought I would, and wish I would have done it sooner. It has 13k miles on it. It runs great, but needs a little love.

I need to get the dookickey done, but am not even slightly mechanically inclined. I do basic maintenance, but am not a good mechanic. I live in Wester CO (about an hour east of Grand Junction). Anyone know of any good experienced Doohickey mechanics in that area? Also, should I be frightened of my engine grenading if it takes a month or two to have it done? Should I just park it in the meantime? Most of my riding will be 65 mph highway. I might try a camping trip on it, but I'll scratch that idea if I'm putting the bike at risk.

Ride it!
If it's been 13,000 miles it will likely last till you have a chance to change it.
Unless you are just unlucky!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3005
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Hi!

Here's a pic:

]
I am not sure how tall you are, but you might consider restoring your fork tubes to the proper position in the fork tree.... Just an observation from a fellow KLR owner.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #3006
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=bigdon;19063272]
Quote:
Hi!

Ride it!
If it's been 13,000 miles it will likely last till you have a chance to change it.
Unless you are just unlucky!
I live in Western Colorado and own a KLR, I'd consider myself pretty lucky

I can't wait to get out hit some trails/4x4 roads. Honestly, I was surprised when I rode it home how much I enjoyed it. I thought I'd be giving up some on road fun for off road capability. I may be giving up quite a bit of road performance (I have a Ninja 650r I'm selling to finance upgrades to the KLR), but I found the KLR to be a blast to ride. It soaks up miles as well, which surprised me. It just takes an adjustment of your mindset of what you expect a motorcylce to do.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #3007
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
I am not sure how tall you are, but you might consider restoring your fork tubes to the proper position in the fork tree.... Just an observation from a fellow KLR owner.

I'm 5'8". I guess I didn't realize they had been adjusted. No wonder the bike was much more managable than I had expected. Well, I'll ad that to the list of things to do!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #3008
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
I'm 5'8". I guess I didn't realize they had been adjusted. No wonder the bike was much more managable than I had expected. Well, I'll ad that to the list of things to do!
Does it have lowering links? Could those forks be set that way on purpose to match a lowered rear?
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #3009
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Does it have lowering links? Could those forks be set that way on purpose to match a lowered rear?
The guy I bought it from said it was completely stock. He was the second owner, so, maybe it does?

If it had lowering links, would I be able to see them easily? Sorry for the noobness, my experience is limited to street bikes, I've never fiddled with anything other than oil changes, air filter changes, basic stuff like that.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3010
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,278
Quote:
The guy I bought it from said it was completely stock. He was the second owner, so, maybe it does?

If it had lowering links, would I be able to see them easily? Sorry for the noobness, my experience is limited to street bikes, I've never fiddled with anything other than oil changes, air filter changes, basic stuff like that.
They may not be discern-able to the naked eye of a KLR noob unless they are aftermarket ones with a brand name stamping or something. Measure them center-of-bolt to center-of-bolt and we can likely tell you if it is lowered.

Btw- what you're measuring are the "dogbones" pictured below (stock).
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3011
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
They may not be discern-able to the naked eye of a KLR noob unless they are aftermarket ones with a brand name stamping or something. Measure them center-of-bolt to center-of-bolt and we can likely tell you if it is lowered.

Btw- what you're measuring are the "dogbones" pictured below (stock).
Thanks, I'll check it out and measure it when I get home. Other than changing the handling characteristics, any potential negatives to having the forks lowered like they are? I'm not going to be going over crazy rough terrain where that small bit of difference in clearance should have an impact.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3012
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,278
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out and measure it when I get home. Other than changing the handling characteristics, any potential negatives to having the forks lowered like they are? I'm not going to be going over crazy rough terrain where that small bit of difference in clearance should have an impact.
If the front is lowered but not the back, then yes, the steering geometry is different. Someone else could probably educate you on how much...
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #3013
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
My first KLR was an '00 & if I jumped around 2 feet high or more there wouild be a horrific screech when I landed. I would look all over to try to figgure out what the screech was & never found it. One day I realized my forks were sticking up in the triple clamp about the same amount as your bike is in the photo. A light went off in my head & said "here is the source of the landing screech you've been looking for."

I wasn't on line when I had my first KLR & I had no idea what the "doohicky" was, so I never fixed it. I rode that bike HARD & got 17,000 miles out of it before I totaled it. I did the "doo" on my '06 (about 500 miles after buying it) at 4,000 miles. If I was you I'd fix the doo as soon as I could but, I wouldn't park it & not ride it. Just go easy on her till you get the doo done & make sure that it eventually does get done. some KLR's have had problems with less than 10,000 miles on em.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #3014
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,204
Picking up a 2009 manana. I looked at Happy Trails gear, $1795.00 for Crash bars, Skid Plate, Center Stand, luggage and racks? Is there a reliable alternative? I am downgrading btw, Just sold my BMW, going back to a KLR, my 4th. You just cannot beat the KLR for reliability and cost.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3015
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Picking up a 2009 manana. I looked at Happy Trails gear, $1795.00 for Crash bars, Skid Plate, Center Stand, luggage and racks? Is there a reliable alternative? I am downgrading btw, Just sold my BMW, going back to a KLR, my 4th. You just cannot beat the KLR for reliability and cost.
I've been going over the farkling options as well. From my limited (internet) research, the HT stuff looks sort of janky to me. Square tubing is not as refined as SW Motech or GIVI crash bars. I've read how they rub on the plastic and is hard to install. Comes with el-cheapo highway pegs.

SW Motechs all seem to crack in the same place. I've read at least twenty different people with that same crack post here and other forums. Most expensive, and mounts to footpeg holes, and needs a lot of removing of stuff to install. Thickest metal and largest diameter round tubing and new ones are "rubber mounted". Has a spot to mount hwy pegs.

I think I'm going with the GIVI, because it looks like neither of the two attachment points muck with the footpegs (weak point, from what I've read) and even though they're "weaker" than the SWMT, I don't plan on dropping my bike. Doesn't incorporate HWY pegs into its design.

I went with JESSE luggage and racks, instead of the HT stuff. I know from experience my old Jesses were BEASTLY and I don't think I'd be happy with HT. Also, I don't like the name, "Happy Trails" - reminds me of the runway of hair leading towards one's junk. I don't need pubes on my bike.

I have read a lot of bad things about all the available center stands. Most people take them off, after they shear the footpeg bolts, and so you can find 'em on the secondary market.
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote