Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #3031
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Picking up a 2009 manana. I looked at Happy Trails gear, $1795.00 for Crash bars, Skid Plate, Center Stand, luggage and racks? Is there a reliable alternative? I am downgrading btw, Just sold my BMW, going back to a KLR, my 4th. You just cannot beat the KLR for reliability and cost.

I had HT stuff on my '97 KLR and put HT stuff on my 2010 KLR. Everything bolted on just fine and no complaints so far.... I like the one stop shopping and supporting a business that's been looking after the KLR for such a long time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikappr...th/7377237082/

Enjoy the new bike!...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #3032
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
My last KLR had HT, fine stuff, snap to install. My Vstrom had Givi, I loved the ease to access it, but it was cheesy and cannot be banged out. I sort of have to have a center stand as I ride about 1k a week and it just makes chain maintenance so much easier. Though I am considering another scottoiler.
Damm mr. matteeanne, 1k a week. It takes me at least 2 weeks for that.. Tell me more. Thanks
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #3033
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,586
I'm having an issue with my headlight bulb continually blowing out. First thing I did was make sure all the bolts were in the headlamp assembly so there wouldn't be excessive vibrations, between when it started and now I have also replaced the wiring harness with a used one, my thought now is maybe the headlight switch. Any other thoughts? The bulb isn't shining brighter like its getting too much voltage but it will blow out. I can turn on the high beam and it will burn out shortly also. It isn't a quick thing. Example, I can start off and ride and it might blow out shortly after departure or in this instance I have been doing carb and exhaust work, not riding and last night when I turned the key on to check my turn signals, no headlight. Turned on high beam and its working but no guarantees for how long. This is frustrating because I don't want to get stranded at night with no headlamp.
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #3034
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
Also, I don't like the name, "Happy Trails" - reminds me of the runway of hair leading towards one's junk. I don't need pubes on my bike.
When you order ask for the Brazilian finish...they use a blow torch to burn off any pubic hair before powder coating...

They don't logo up their products either so you can feel free to re-name them Terror Trails Products or anything else that suits you...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #3035
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Can't remember the size but the same the happened to me. I was going 80 mph across the James River Bridge here in VA and heard my bike get loud. No breakdown lanes so I had to keep going. The bridge crew had to shut down one lane of the highway to pick it up for me. I had to reweld the slip on part but it went back on fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #3036
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8691 View Post
does anyone know what size the exhaust bolts are that connecth the slip on the the sub frame? .

Should be 8x1.25
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #3037
dw8691
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Should be 8x1.25

Thanks, very helpful
dw8691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #3038
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
I'm having an issue with my headlight bulb continually blowing out. First thing I did was make sure all the bolts were in the headlamp assembly so there wouldn't be excessive vibrations, between when it started and now I have also replaced the wiring harness with a used one, my thought now is maybe the headlight switch. Any other thoughts? The bulb isn't shining brighter like its getting too much voltage but it will blow out. I can turn on the high beam and it will burn out shortly also. It isn't a quick thing. Example, I can start off and ride and it might blow out shortly after departure or in this instance I have been doing carb and exhaust work, not riding and last night when I turned the key on to check my turn signals, no headlight. Turned on high beam and its working but no guarantees for how long. This is frustrating because I don't want to get stranded at night with no headlamp.
Voltage regulator? Can bypass the issue by installing an HID system (uses it's own wiring).
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3039
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 45,620
Quote:
Picking up a 2009 manana. I looked at Happy Trails gear, $1795.00 for Crash bars, Skid Plate, Center Stand, luggage and racks? Is there a reliable alternative? I am downgrading btw, Just sold my BMW, going back to a KLR, my 4th. You just cannot beat the KLR for reliability and cost.
The only alternative crash bars that I am aware of are Chinese made junk.

Skid plates, not 100% sure.

As far as luggage and racks, have you checked Wolfman?

Wolfman and Happy Trail both have excellent customer service, sell US made products, and are long time supporters of the KLR community.
I reckon we should support the guys that support us.

And, "downgrading"?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3040
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Voltage regulator? Can bypass the issue by installing an HID system (uses it's own wiring).
Idon't suspect the vr because its not excessively bright. I've seen on a car before when the vr goes bad it will allow full power to the lights and they get super bright. This is normal light when it works. I ordered a new switch so I guess i'll know in about a week.
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #3041
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Wolfman and Happy Trail both have excellent customer service, sell US made products, and are long time supporters of the KLR community.
I reckon we should support the guys that support us.
+1 and well stated

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #3042
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
Well, strictly from the internet, I can tell you're a douche bag.
Leastwise, you're CONSISTENT, GSMotorrad!

You evaluate EVERYTHING abstractly from the Internet!

Doesn't look like you stampeded many away from Happy Trails with your gratuitous bad-mouthing, and your abstract Internet product evaluations and literary criticism of their trade name. Speaking from my own experience (not "Internet research") in dealing with the firm and its products, I've found customer service outstanding, product design and quality most adequate.

Yet . . . I WISH better installation instructions and images were available!

Regardless, best wishes to you and whatever Internet-worthy products and manufacturers you choose, GSMotorad!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #3043
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
I'm having an issue with my headlight bulb continually blowing out. First thing I did was make sure all the bolts were in the headlamp assembly so there wouldn't be excessive vibrations, between when it started and now I have also replaced the wiring harness with a used one, my thought now is maybe the headlight switch. Any other thoughts?
As stated, check your voltage. Above 15v not good. If the regulator is off it can cook the battery quickly.
Is your grounding and all wires good? Not a bad idea when checking connectors, bulbs, to put some dialectic grease in.

What bulbs are you using? Be carefull of the fancy Sylvania ones that advertise 'extra' bright. Read their packaging small print carefully. While they claim 35% more light - it is against a stock bulb at 80%. Their rated life span is 1/3 or less of the standard bulb too! Their price too is 3x a standard.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 05:53 PM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #3044
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Idon't suspect the vr because its not excessively bright. I've seen on a car before when the vr goes bad it will allow full power to the lights and they get super bright. This is normal light when it works. I ordered a new switch so I guess i'll know in about a week.
Hey CH let me know ifin ya need readouts on one that's working for testing. I'm available any day I'm not hung over...

I'd call in advance...at least two days...

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3045
CalicoJack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
As stated, check your voltage. Above 15v not good. If the regulator is off it can cook the battery quickly.
Is your grounding and all wires good? Not a bad idea when checking connectors, bulbs, to put some dialectic grease in.

What bulbs are you using? Be carefull of the fancy Sylvania ones that advertise 'extra' bright. Read their packaging small print carefully. While they claim 35% more light - it is against a stock bulb at 80%. Their rated life span is 1/3 or less of the standard bulb too! Their price too is 3x a standard.

I had the fancy Sylvania ones in a car once and they didnt last 3 months. And i didnt see any difference in lighting really. I'd never buy them again!
CalicoJack is offline   Reply With Quote