Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #3616
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Hey,

I just got a uni-filter. Do I really have to use thier filter oil for it? I have a can of PJ1 that I used on the stocker, that I would like to continue using. I don't need to futz with rejetting either do I? I was hoping I would now have a spare between the stock filter and the UNI.

T
As long as the PJ1 is filter oil go ahead... I thought that PJ1 was chain lube?
I would think if you are still using stock filter and your not looking to change performance of motor don't rejett, you'll probably get better gas mileage this way

Otherwise rejett and get KN high air flow filter, maybe even alter the air box....

jonyfi screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 06:38 AM
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #3617
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post

Hmm, this is going to put the KLR back on my short list of bikes that I want to get. Too bad I can't afford a new one - maybe in a few years when there are some used yellow ones around In the mean time, if I pick up a KLR, I'm just going to get it painted. I'm all about visibility and that's one of the things that bug me with the KLR is that most of their paint schemes are just too dark.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #3618
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
As long as the PJ1 is filter oil go ahead... I thought that PJ1 was chain lube?
I would think if you are still using stock filter and your not looking to change performance of motor don't rejett, you'll probably get better gas mileage this way

Otherwise rejett and get KN high air flow filter, maybe even alter the air box....
Uhh, no that's not true. Just because you make a bike more lean does not mean you will get better mpg. All things being equal, it will get worse mpg. And K&N filters are not very good filters on the KLR.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #3619
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
K&N filters are not very good filters on the KLR.
I see this periodically but never an explanation why not. Care to explain? Anybody? Inquiring minds wanna know.

John
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #3620
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Hey,

I just got a uni-filter. Do I really have to use thier filter oil for it? I have a can of PJ1 that I used on the stocker, that I would like to continue using. I don't need to futz with rejetting either do I? I was hoping I would now have a spare between the stock filter and the UNI.

T
Used a Uni -filter for 30K miles when the adhesive between the layers began to give way. I have used Maxima Fab 1 filter oil. Still do. Any filter oils specifically formulated for fabric and foam can be used. Each "brand " is trying to sell more of its product. All the oil does is catch the dirt - and the dirt does not mind if the oil's color is blue or red!

No need to change jetting. I have tried all the jetting 'tricks' many miles ago and then reverted to stock setttings both on the stock and 685 bore- except the 22c mod. Unless one has a dyno and a co2 meter, jetting, holes in the air box are dependant upon the tribal butt dyno opinion's reliability. Drilling holes in the air box does make it 'sound' better- go 'faster' too!

Tribal knowledge talks about the KLR running so 'lean'. How is it other FI 650 bikes get as much 20mpg more than a KLR (ave 45-65mpg) and are correctly set?

K&N supposedly have larger air passageways between the fibers than other filters. Again, a lot of tribal knowledge with no real measurements that I am aware of to back up the claims and counter claims. They are more expensive so they must be 'better' !
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #3621
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
well, i did the dash LED's today, gotta say i love the look but i have mixed feelings about being able to see the needles.

since im turning the bike into the "SC Zombie Patrol" bike, i thought that green LEDs would look good. and they do!

heres pics. got some from the riders position showing the "glare" on the windshield and some close up and you can see how the needles are "dim"

also, i left the blinker bulb stock since it would only light up with one direction.

Did you try red? Red is used in sailboat instruments and many aircraft as that color does not interfere with ones ability to see at night.

LED's act as diodes (one way current) so will not work in the place of the blinker bulb.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #3622
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
I would assume FI's get better mpg because they're more efficient at all times throughout the throttle curve, instead of lean sometimes, rich at times, and spot on at times. That's just my assumption though.
I read somewhere (don't recall) that the stock filter flowed better than the K&N on the KLR.
I put the UNI in mine and I THINK it flows better because I THINK I have a little bit of lean surge at times while cruising at 65mph.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #3623
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Uhh, no that's not true. Just because you make a bike more lean does not mean you will get better mpg. All things being equal, it will get worse mpg. And K&N filters are not very good filters on the KLR.
Only going on my experience...
I have had two klrs
1) one I did the KN filter, drilled out air box, and did the suggested re-jetting, aftermarket pipe
2) two it has foam uni filter, stock air box, and stock jetting, aftermarket pipe

Both have same gearing

Bike number 2 gets better gas mileage
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #3624
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
K&N filters are a lot like asking about oil and tire recommendations.

The long and short is K&N filters allow larger particles through the element than other filters. That is pretty much proven science and there are tons of sources including the K&N website to back that up. They advertise that they flow more air, which is accomplished by the larger particles being allowed to pass through the element. Hence, the need to re-jet when using K&N versus foam or standard paper filters.

The commonly held 'wisdom' is that K&N filters work real well for street applications, but don't filter enough particulate matter for off road applications.

For me, I'll stick with the Uni foam element, but honestly, I'm sure the K&N works just fine.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #3625
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
Hmm, this is going to put the KLR back on my short list of bikes that I want to get. Too bad I can't afford a new one - maybe in a few years when there are some used yellow ones around In the mean time, if I pick up a KLR, I'm just going to get it painted. I'm all about visibility and that's one of the things that bug me with the KLR is that most of their paint schemes are just too dark.
The yellow is growing on me as well. My cash stash keeps getting whacked with "emergencys" and at the rate I'm going I might have my truck paid off and just spring for a new one.
Murphy Slaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #3626
kckeeny
Poor Bastard

Oddometer: 3,486
Question To remove or no.

Chain guards are good for keeping pant legs out of the chain. But if one always rides with moto pants and boots with no laces, could the guard be removed safely? Mine has lost its shape a bit and rubs on the chain. It collects dirt and oil and rubs that onto the chain as well. What have you people experienced with this?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3627
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckeeny View Post
Chain guards are good for keeping pant legs out of the chain. But if one always rides with moto pants and boots with no laces, could the guard be removed safely? Mine has lost its shape a bit and rubs on the chain. It collects dirt and oil and rubs that onto the chain as well. What have you people experienced with this?
I'm one for NOT removing. I haul items all the time. Might keep a loose strap out of the chain.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #3628
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckeeny View Post
My chain guard is not holding up very well either but I plan to keep it in place as long as I can because I would rather have "stuff" fling off onto it than my pants.

Just my two cents.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #3629
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
My plan is to someday eliminate the chain guard and all of the associated hardware and have a welder weld a tab onto the bottom of the swingarm so I can mount a proper lower chain guard.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3630
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Did you try red? Red is used in sailboat instruments and many aircraft as that color does not interfere with ones ability to see at night.

LED's act as diodes (one way current) so will not work in the place of the blinker bulb.
no, didnt try red. going with a "theme" here so green worked out better. green is easier to see with the naked eye (conversely, violet is the hardest) and while red goes well for nightvision, it does at times make things harder to see.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote