Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #3706
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
i left the blinker bulb stock since it would only light up with one direction.
Superbrightled has bi directional LED indicator bulbs that will fit the dash and work both ways, that is what I have.
TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #3707
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaetis View Post
So I just picked up a black 2009 KLR on Saturday with 5800 miles for a steal. It has some brush scratches and some faded plastics that I'm trying to restore. So far I've used Plexus and Novus products but it's really not done what I'm looking for. I'd love to be able to get it back to near show room condition but my guess is I'm looking for a miracle cure.

Any suggestions?
You can always wet sand them as well. Start with 220, then 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000- keep it plenty wet, it'll shine right back up. Get some good polish to keep it shiny.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #3708
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
My bike had sat a few years in the sun before I purchased in in Jan of this year.

I used fine sandpaper and fine steel wool per the instructions with the plastic restoration kit called plastic renew.

If you like it shiny, I can't be beat!

TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #3709
Licky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-a-Jeep View Post
I had been thinking about this too, but stopped because I thought it wouldn't work. Looking at pictures of the two generations, it looks like the bolts are in different locations. Look at the distance between the rear screw on the side panels and the main bolt on the rack, it's much closer on Gen 2 than on Gen 1. Now, it may be that they moved the side panel's screw because the grab handle is moved, or maybe that large bolt is in a different spot, or both.

Well, there's an easy way to find out: I just took some measurements on my Gen 1 bike, could someone with a Gen 2 bike compare? I got 22.5" from the front screw on the side panels to the main bolt on the rack and 5" (measured horizontally) from that bolt to the small screws that hold the rack down to the subframe.

any other input on this?
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #3710
dr350maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
STOCK rear suspension links needed, URGENT

Does anyone have a set of stock rear suspension links I could buy? I need them ASAP, and would be happy to paypal the money and would like them shipped, probably Priority Mail so I can get them by Friday.

I just bought a 2007 and it's been lowered. It was lowered by the dealer who the previous owner purchased it from and he didn't get the stock parts when he took delivery of the bike.

PM me.
dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #3711
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I see this periodically but never an explanation why not. Care to explain? Anybody? Inquiring minds wanna know.

John
They let smaller particles thru and have a much lower carrying capacity than oiled foam.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #3712
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
I test rode an older KLR last week. The handlebars were slightly bent. I also noticed that when I apply the front brake, the bike tracks / tilts to one side. It's almost pulling to one side when braking. Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

Also, any suggestions to improve the rear brake? They seemed very weak.
Some amount of pulling is perfectly normal. The forks are flimsy and the single sided rotor causes them to twist.

Rear brake shouldn't be an issue. Pull the pads, sand them with 220 grit, degrease with brake cleaner. Give your rotor a similar treatment. Flush & bleed the system.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #3713
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I see this periodically but never an explanation why not. Care to explain? Anybody? Inquiring minds wanna know.

John
If you ride dirt with a K&N it will eventually clog, and you'll be stuck until you clean the filter enough for the bike to breathe.
I've seen it happen twice.

I suppose you could run them with a Filterskin (pre-filter)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #3714
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
windscreen

It is a Cee Bailey I think it was about 85.00 on the web. They make it in 3 sizes. The one I have is the 6" over stock, mesured from the top of the stock windscreen.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #3715
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
Could really use input on two things.

New KLR owner and not crazy about it's highway capabilities. I know join the club. The sweet spot on this bike seems to be right around 4-4.5k rpms however this is only 60mph. Was wondering if a +1 front sprocket or maybe a -1 rear would help me get closer to 75mph and still be in the sweet spot getting good mpgs. really missing a 6th gear!

planning a 10k+ trip and need to be able to roll highway speeds with myself (185lbs) and 60-65 lbs of gear.

second if anyone has any input on the Bridgestone TW 21 and 22 tires. specially millage and offroad manners. I'm in between getting these or the avon AM24 gripsters.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Part of my daily 126 mile commute is 62 miles of interstate boredom. I went up +1 tooth on the front and left the rear stock. At 4500 rpm the bike runs 67 -71 mph depending on the the grade of the road. At 5k (the sweet spot for her) she runs around 75 to 77 and 5500 puts me up over 80 mph. I've gotten it to 101 mph as indicated by the GPS but it wasn't comfortable. Just did a trip to Orlando and back from N. Georgia and she ran interstate comfortably at 80 - 85 mph with no problem.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #3716
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREADMARKS View Post
Superbrightled has bi directional LED indicator bulbs that will fit the dash and work both ways, that is what I have.
can i get a link to these please? thanks!

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #3717
paultrue21
n00b

Oddometer: 2

Hey guys,
New here, was turned on to this site by the man I am buying my 04 KLR from. With any luck will pick it up Friday night or Saturday morning. I am so excited and am planning a small road trip for the Labor Day weekend. I am in
New Mexico and so far I am really loving the site. Thanks to all you guys that keep things interesting.
Paul
paultrue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #3718
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
My klr is under the impression its a two-stoke but without the power band...... so I'm thinking new piston and ring to stop it burning oil, probably the 705 kit, because it doesn't seem like a lot more coin that the 685.

I was wondering what people recommended as the minimum other engine work that should be done at the same time if I'm mainly after not having to carry an oil can with me but could use a little bit of extra go.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #3719
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrue21 View Post
Hey guys,
New here, was turned on to this site by the man I am buying my 04 KLR from. With any luck will pick it up Friday night or Saturday morning. I am so excited and am planning a small road trip for the Labor Day weekend. I am in
New Mexico and so far I am really loving the site. Thanks to all you guys that keep things interesting.
Paul

Welcome aboard.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #3720
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
My klr is under the impression its a two-stoke but without the power band...... so I'm thinking new piston and ring to stop it burning oil, probably the 705 kit, because it doesn't seem like a lot more coin that the 685.

I was wondering what people recommended as the minimum other engine work that should be done at the same time if I'm mainly after not having to carry an oil can with me but could use a little bit of extra go.

Thanks
A 685 is all that is needed - unless there are other things that need attention. How many miles on the bike?

I have 32K on my 685 piston/bore - really happy with it. Going to put another 3 k on it next week!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote