ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3736
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
the kawasaki kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New England
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrue21 View Post
You got the fever. I got it too, I get my KLR this Friday. I am so excited. Buying a 2004 in mint conditions, alot of extras. It is like a dream come true.
Congrats bro! I hope to be joining the club soon myself. Going to look at 1990 this weekend...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
I tossed her in a gas station garbage can,fuckin hoe.
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #3737
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 495
5 weeks for 4800 miles,what is the hurry?
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #3738
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2
 
Danger4u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OKC
Oddometer: 609
Ride the KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
5 weeks for 4800 miles,what is the hurry?
I did an Iron Butt, Bun Burner 1500. 1500 miles in 36 hours and had 2 KLR riders tag along to complete a Saddle Sore 1000. 1000 miles in 24 hours.
__________________
Go faster than everyone.
Only worry about what's in front of you.
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #3739
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
A little background on my riding experience. Most recently I have owned a 2008 KLR, bought in June or so of 2008. I did some light farkleing and rode the bike 11,000 miles in one year. It did not burn oil, at any speed, but the blinkers did fall off. I mainly commuted on the KLR and the few trips I did take were never more than 300 miles in a day. I sold the KLR to purchase a 2004 BMW GSA for 2 up traveling. My wife and I put about 15,000 miles on that bike and then decided to start a family. Sold the GSA. My longest day on the GS was from Key West back to my home in GA. Only stopping for gas, solo. 690 miles according to google. No sweat on the GS.

Well 2 years of no riding has passed and I couldn't take it anymore. A new to me 2008 KLR.
[IMG][/IMG]


So on to the inquiry. My brother and I planned on doing the TAT next summer on our KLRs but we have invited our dad.
Us: Dad, do you want to go?
Dad: Sure, but lets go to Alaska instead.
Us. OK.
The stage is set. We all have 5 weeks off next summer to travel from GA to AK and back.

I feel once we hit the "good parts" of the trip the KLR will shine,but I am skeptical about riding the KLR that far. Mainly because of the speeds we will need to travel just to get there. My first KLR was not an interstate machine. Lots of vibs and not much left after 75mph. Changing the seat is a given on any bike, for me at least. My day long saddle was awesome. We plan to make 500-700 mile days for the first few days until we get to the good stuff. We have all traveled extensively in the eastern and mid-western US. No need to repeat that boredom. We have not ruled out trailering the bikes to a point and then starting our trip.

So, should we sell the KLRs and get something else, or man the F up and just go?

Any advice or links to RR with KLRs in AK would be greatly appreciated.
PS. According to google it is 4879 miles from our home to Prudhoe Bay. A very very long way to ride a motorbike.
You have to read PASSION IN THE WIND !! by Alan Leduc
You can get it paper or kindle and Alan is the founder of MTF (motorcycle tourers forum)
An epic ride on Klrs from Key West to Alaska and back the loooooong way !!!!
Some serious big mileage days and these guys are in their 60's.Tim Yow I think was 68 or 69.
You will love it and it will motivate you for your trip.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #3740
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
beechhunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, GA
Oddometer: 242
Round trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
5 weeks for 4800 miles,what is the hurry?


Round trip is 9600 miles. Not counting detours for things we want see.
I am counting on 12,000 miles total. Average of 480 per day is needed to complete the trip. I realize some days we will not make that goal nor want to. I feel we can make up time on the first and last few days by doing 600+ mile days.

beechhunter screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 07:21 AM
beechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #3741
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
beechhunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, GA
Oddometer: 242
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
You have to read PASSION IN THE WIND !! by Alan Leduc
You can get it paper or kindle and Alan is the founder of MTF (motorcycle tourers forum)
An epic ride on Klrs from Key West to Alaska and back the loooooong way !!!!
Some serious big mileage days and these guys are in their 60's.Tim Yow I think was 68 or 69.
You will love it and it will motivate you for your trip.
This is the stuff i am looking for. Thanks Gas Guy.
beechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #3742
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kawasaki kid View Post
I want a KLR so bad... This thread is only making things worse.
All I can tell you is stay away from the PICTURE thread........

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #3743
serangelc
Adventurer
 
serangelc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Medellín, Colombia
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
My 2012 with 1500 miles smells like coolant when I fire it up. Also see some dried coolant residue on the front down tube, and under the right fairing. (not coming from the engine) I have not investigated it yet, but I was wondering if this was a common problem? I'll take it to the dealer because its under warranty still, but if its just a clamp or something stupid i'd rather just fix it myself to avoid leaving it for who knows how long at the dealer.

Jon
A friend of mine had the same "problem" with a 2012 KLR just before its first service at the dealer. I ended up being nothing more than a "tiny bit of something" that was keeping the cap of the coolant reservoir from sealing properly...
serangelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #3744
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
My 2012 with 1500 miles smells like coolant when I fire it up. Also see some dried coolant residue on the front down tube, and under the right fairing. (not coming from the engine) I have not investigated it yet, but I was wondering if this was a common problem? I'll take it to the dealer because its under warranty still, but if its just a clamp or something stupid i'd rather just fix it myself to avoid leaving it for who knows how long at the dealer.

Jon
Some of the Aussie Guys are having trouble with cracking radiators!
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #3745
mcpenner
mcpenner
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
So what should I ask and what should I look at closer on this KLR? It runs nice and I've ridden it around a little. If I remember right it seems a little more spirited then the 2009 I test drove last year(must be the modifications?) It seems to have a slight flat spot right around 3000rpms??? The asking price in the add is close to others in this area. I think my Goldwing plus $600 would be market value but as I said, I'd pay a little more to thank this dealer for all the free help he's given me over the years. How much are the farkles on this KLR worth and are the worth it?
So I took this KLR for another good ride. First I should update on the bike; the dealer had a 2008 KLR, they sold it with the pipe of off this 2005 and put the pipe from the 2008 onto the 2005. The 2005 has a skid plate that has been skidded over stuff, a good fork brace, a slightly bent front fender and handle bars, a little hose guard, I think an after market shift lever and that's all I could find.

So I am not familiar with driving a big single. What is supposed to feel like? With the Jardin on before it seemed to run strong with a slight flat spot around 3000rpms. Now, with the 2008 pipe it didn't have the flat spot, but at certain times it seemed to surge a little. It could have been the wind catching the big front fender and or hand guards as it was quite windy? It could just be the feel of the bike/motor since I've not been on this kind of bike. Or maybe it was that the carb is not tuned to the 2008 pipe? Oh, and also the front tire is quite cupped? This surging did not really seem to effect the bikes ability to get up and go. I really liked it. It will do everything I want to do on a motorbike (except hall my wife and I around, have a cruiser for that) and the wind management is better then on the goldwing.

Should I be concerned about this surging? Should I demand they fix it or is it just the wind and the way these bikes handle?

Thanks, I've learned so much here already.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #3746
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
The stage is set. We all have 5 weeks off next summer to travel from GA to AK and back.

I feel once we hit the "good parts" of the trip the KLR will shine,but I am skeptical about riding the KLR that far. Mainly because of the speeds we will need to travel just to get there. My first KLR was not an interstate machine. Lots of vibs and not much left after 75mph. Changing the seat is a given on any bike, for me at least. My day long saddle was awesome. We plan to make 500-700 mile days for the first few days until we get to the good stuff. We have all traveled extensively in the eastern and mid-western US. No need to repeat that boredom. We have not ruled out trailering the bikes to a point and then starting our trip.

So, should we sell the KLRs and get something else, or man the F up and just go?

Any advice or links to RR with KLRs in AK would be greatly appreciated.
PS. According to google it is 4879 miles from our home to Prudhoe Bay. A very very long way to ride a motorbike.
It looks like a well kitted KLR. Personally, I'd say go for it. Ride what'cha brung.

I think that if you understand what the bike is and what it is not, and ride it accordingly, it will serve you well. Provided all three of you are on similar mounts. If one of you is riding a big R1200GS and 2 of you on KLR's then it will not be as enjoyable because of the diversity of the bikes.

I would also consider putting in a 688 cc kit or similar before you begin. Not because of the extra power or bragging rights, but because with the lighter piston it decreases vibrations substantially making longer days easier. Have a few more horses under the hood is just a bonus. They are cheap enough, easy to install, and will armor up the potential of having a major oil burn issue cropping up in mid ride.

__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #3747
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rode2Nowhere's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stillwater (next to Saratoga), NY
Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I did an Iron Butt, Bun Burner 1500. 1500 miles in 36 hours and had 2 KLR riders tag along to complete a Saddle Sore 1000. 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Got my number on my '08 when I had it. Going for a Bunburner Gold when this one's set up.
__________________
- Jonathan
'88/'96/'08/'09 KLR650 Amalgamation
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #3748
Grinnin
Forever N00b
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
So, should we sell the KLRs and get something else, or man the F up and just go?
Funny, I purchased a 2001 KLR for the purpose of going to AK/YT.
__________________
Motorcycles are magical.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #3749
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mnrider2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Minnesota
Oddometer: 225
Hi all

Installed some fancy Emgo Pro Guard handguards on my 09.
They look great and will save the levers and all but now there's vibes in the grips.
Those rubber mounted bar end wieghts that came on the bike really were working.
I'm thinking about grinding them down and put them back on some how.
Anyone done that? What do you think?
__________________
06 Ulysses
09 KLR 650
Mnrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #3750
northbendmark
Adventurer
 
northbendmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
Hi all

Installed some fancy Emgo Pro Guard handguards on my 09.
They look great and will save the levers and all but now there's vibes in the grips.
Those rubber mounted bar end wieghts that came on the bike really were working.
I'm thinking about grinding them down and put them back on some how.
Anyone done that? What do you think?
Last year after a wreck on my 08 KLR, I installed new handlebars and wanted the bar end weights, so
I cut them off the stock bars to remove the threaded slug that the bar weights threaded into
then I had to grind them a little smaller to fit inside the new bars. I then just JB Welded
them into position, let it dry and threaded the bar weights back in. Works like a charm.
northbendmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014