Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #3811
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,849
Hey Sandman,congratulations !!! You got the sweetest looking klr made!The 2012 with the black wheels !!!
Enjoy your bike and dont get caught up in all the fancy high dollar bikes every one writes about on these blogs and think you need to upgrade.Just enjoy yours and ride the wheels off it.Put a 100,000 miles on it.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #3812
caliKLR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks Man, i'll let you know. I am currently rebuilding the front shock and don't feel like doing anything else that would keep me from riding right now!

Side note: Does anyone know the best way to loosen the dampener on the inside of the shock? I have heard about the rear axel nut, but seems like a kind of shanky fix. any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Take it apart and find out what's wrong with the adjuster (might be seized). If you need just the adjuster I have a spare one.
caliKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #3813
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman7925 View Post
I just bought this bike yesterday afternoon. This is my first bike ever. I took it real easy yesterday, I have allot to learn. So far I like it.

Awesome!
Rider Training, Rider Training, Rider Training.......................................... .. You'll be safer, ride with more confidence, and ride longer.
Love the black wheels.
There is absolutley no end to what you can buy and stick on that bike. You're in the right place for ideas too.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #3814
BreeezyKLR
BreeezyKLR

Oddometer: 6
KLR vs. Buell

So I parked my bike next to a Buell dual sport and then realized just how similar they looked in style rear view mirror, tall windscreen, luggage racks, trunk, etc... Just thought it was an interesting pic since I didn't plan it out that way. BTW i'm not that familiar with Buell's but I didn't even know they had a DS.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #3815
Red Knight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Any of you guys in sw louisiana or s Miss. Have doo tools willing to loan out.
Maybe a tech day..?
Red Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #3816
Geepn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knight View Post
Any of you guys in sw louisiana or s Miss. Have doo tools willing to loan out.
Maybe a tech day..?
I have "loan-a-tool" for a Doo change. PM your name and address and they will be on the way to you. Your only obligation is to post you have "loan -a-tool" and ship it to the next well deserving KLR owner.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3817
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Great bike Sandman. Congrats!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3818
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,056
What are you guys getting for gas mileage? Just curious... I seem to only manage 100 miles on $20 worth of gas in my Jeep...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #3819
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliKLR View Post
recently discovered that the preload adjuster on the rear shock on my 06' KLR650 has quit working. Stuck on softest setting.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4uBKCEqNo shows whats wrong and how to fix
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #3820
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Every so often I notice that smell from my 09 and see a little bit of green on the skid plate. Its been awhile since this first started and I just can't seem to tell where it is coming from. The overflow bottle is still at an acceptable level, so I guess its not that bad. I suppose I should look a little better one of these days.
Mine was the hose connection on the overflow bottle. Pretty Damn annoying after I saw the clamp they used. Mine started off with a slight smell, and 1 green spec on the heat shield. Then after a 500 mile trip I had lost enough to bring it down past the min. Mark.

Jon
Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #3821
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Probably lean pilot jet screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
So I took this KLR for another good ride. First I should update on the bike; the dealer had a 2008 KLR, they sold it with the pipe of off this 2005 and put the pipe from the 2008 onto the 2005. The 2005 has a skid plate that has been skidded over stuff, a good fork brace, a slightly bent front fender and handle bars, a little hose guard, I think an after market shift lever and that's all I could find.

So I am not familiar with driving a big single. What is supposed to feel like? With the Jardin on before it seemed to run strong with a slight flat spot around 3000rpms. Now, with the 2008 pipe it didn't have the flat spot, but at certain times it seemed to surge a little. It could have been the wind catching the big front fender and or hand guards as it was quite windy? It could just be the feel of the bike/motor since I've not been on this kind of bike. Or maybe it was that the carb is not tuned to the 2008 pipe? Oh, and also the front tire is quite cupped? This surging did not really seem to effect the bikes ability to get up and go. I really liked it. It will do everything I want to do on a motorbike (except hall my wife and I around, have a cruiser for that) and the wind management is better then on the goldwing.

Should I be concerned about this surging? Should I demand they fix it or is it just the wind and the way these bikes handle?

Thanks, I've learned so much here already.
A surge at mild throttle settings at a steady speed sounds exactly like a lean pilot screw setting. The pilot screw has an aluminum plug over it from the factory, which is easily removed. You can then richen up the pilot screw and I'll betcha you'll find the surge has disappeared. http://www.klr650.marknet.us/carbairmixture.html
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #3822
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
A surge at mild throttle settings at a steady speed sounds exactly like a lean pilot screw setting.
Maybe, except . . . the pilot (or, "fuel") screw dominates only the pilot, or idle carburetor circuit. At mid-throttle, the needle and the needle jet dominate the air/fuel mixture.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

Shimming the needle, fuel-enriching the mid-range carburetor mixture, may be more effective addressing mid-throttle performance than adjusting the fuel screw. (Fuel screw adjustment a good idea, regardless; 1.75 turns out as a starting point for stock engines.)

EDIT: Please disregard comment opposing ADW's suggestion above; I misread "mild throttle" for "mid-throttle." ADW's approach, adjusting fuel screw addressing mild throttle surge, seems perfectly sound.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 07:37 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #3823
ADW
'tard bike restos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Maybe, except . . . the pilot (or, "fuel") screw dominates only the pilot, or idle carburetor circuit. At mid-throttle, the needle and the needle jet dominate the air/fuel mixture.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

Shimming the needle, fuel-enriching the mid-range carburetor mixture, may be more effective addressing mid-throttle performance than adjusting the fuel screw. (Fuel screw adjustment a good idea, regardless; 1.75 turns out as a starting point for stock engines.)

I would disagree, as the pilot circuit does have influence at 0 to about 1/8 or a tad more throttle settings (which is why I said "mild throttle", not "mid-throttle". You're correct about mid-throttle). The pilot screw richening cured a surge at mild throttle opening steady-state cruise conditions on both an 08 (mine) and an 09 (buddy) KLR.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #3824
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I would disagree, as the pilot circuit does have influence at 0 to about 1/8 or a tad more throttle settings (which is why I said "mild throttle", not "mid-throttle". You're correct about mid-throttle). The pilot screw richening cured a surge at mild throttle opening steady-state cruise conditions on both an 08 (mine) and an 09 (buddy) KLR.
Glad it worked for you, ADW!

My error, confusing "mid-throttle," with "mild throttle."

Thus saith the linked source:
Quote:
The primary purpose of the pilot system is to supply the mixture at idle. It continues to supply fuel throughout the entire throttle range, but after about 1/8 throttle is reached the MAIN SYSTEM starts to put out an increasing percentage of the total mixture up to full throttle.
Again, regrets for my error in misreading "mild" for "mid."

Your suggestion, adjusting the pilot screw addressing the surge, appears valid and sound.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #3825
ADW
'tard bike restos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
My error, confusing "mid-throttle," with "mild throttle."
No prob, easy to do. I would agree that the 22cent mod to the needle is probably a good idea as well. We did that to both the 08 and 09 bikes and were pleased with the results. We did NOT, however, do any airbox mods as is often suggested along with the 22 cent mod. (To the OP, the 22 cent mod is also a common KLR mod, probably also shown on the pages I gave you the link to. Marks KLR Fixes or whatever it's called. If not, just Google it, you'll find it all over the place I'm sure).