Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #391
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Wassup Don! If I could get the little rubber boot off the button I'd try that. Gonna pull the front fairing this weekend and see what I can do about it. Very annoying not having a tripmeter.

John
Bet it's not the button but something inside the speedo itself...... all the WD40 in the world won't fix it if it is.
griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #392
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
Bet it's not the button but something inside the speedo itself...... all the WD40 in the world won't fix it if it is.
Oh Ye of Little Faith!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #393
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Mine did it too. You have to remove the dash and attempt to push the button to see the mechanics of how it works. I have an old oil can with a thin nozzle, I just put a little drop of oil in there and tried to push. It took me a few times to finally hit the right spot. Once you get it, it will be silky smooth. I wouldn't blast WD or it might show up on your dash.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #394
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Mine did it too. You have to remove the dash and attempt to push the button to see the mechanics of how it works. I have an old oil can with a thin nozzle, I just put a little drop of oil in there and tried to push. It took me a few times to finally hit the right spot. Once you get it, it will be silky smooth. I wouldn't blast WD or it might show up on your dash.

Ditto on my 08; started to get hard to reset around 12K and stopped at 17k--small amounts of WD40 got it working again.
Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #395
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
That was the ticket. Works like a charm now but that little spring is awful stiff for the small size of the end of the push rod. Maybe I just have sissy fingers :)

But....and there's always a but!

I found this when I opened it all up!!!

It had been glued badly and was somewhat stuck but not really. So I pulled it all apart and the old glue came right off. Notice the stud broke off the mount on the right side. There was a white gutter trim screw in there!!

The pieces:

The fix! Setting up as we speak.

John
Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #396
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. well now ..

.. there's an ugly surprise .. glad you've got the cure (pun intended) ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #397
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
My comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the raising links. It had everything to do with the durability of the stock shock. Perhaps you'll get a hundred thousand miles out of yours, but in my experience, it's unlikely.
You have experience with 100,000 mile KLRs? Really?
Wow.

In the pics you have posted of your 2007, it looks brand new!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #398
captainpugwash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces 6 View Post
Another view from the side...Safari test bike.
because of the extra fuel weight do you need to up rate the front fork springs ? just the front end goes down fast as soon as the brakes are put on .
captainpugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #399
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,769
My 1st edition Clymer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Clymer says (p. 194, Generation 1 Service Manual), Also, tighten initially to 88 ft-lb; loosen, and tighten finally to 129 ft-lb.

I believe Generation 2 Service Manuals specify higher torque specifications; not sure.
on page 194 talks about headlight bulb replacement. On page 178 under Rotor/Starter removal is does say to replace the rotor bolt but gives no reason why. It didn't "drag" coming out and looked fine so I didn't see the need for replacement. My analytical pesonality has to have a reason for everything. I consider this to be a fault to a point.
No harm no foul, I've got one "in stock" when and if I ever need one.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #400
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
BTW - A good source of grade 8 fasteners is a Caterpillar tractor parts department although not sure if they stock metric.)
Some of the older/bigger True Value Hardware Stores are great for grade 8, and also the hard metric stuff. There is one in Paducah, Ky, that has a HUGE nut/bolt dept, with stainless, etc. They have more bolts than the local Fastenall.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #401
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpugwash View Post
because of the extra fuel weight do you need to up rate the front fork springs ? just the front end goes down fast as soon as the brakes are put on .
No experience with Safari on the KLR. I don't know anyone who has one as the pictures were from the test mule. Probably will have to contact manufacturer/distributer. Manufacturer takes about 3-4 days to respond in my experience.
Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #402
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
on page 194 talks about headlight bulb replacement.
Regrets for any bibliographic confusion.

Cover of referenced manual:

Copyright page:

Content page:

(Library of Congress notified. )

No metallurgist nor strength-f-materials person, I, but . . . re-using a rotor bolt does not appear particularly reckless and high-risk, to me.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I used a new rotor bolt when I replaced the doohickey on my '07 (Generation 1) KLR650.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 05:53 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #403
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
According to the following online guide torque for a 12mm high quality bolt is 100 lb ft.

http://www.dansmc.com/torque_chart.htm

Kawasaki recommended torque on the rotor bolt is 130 lb ft -- 144 lb ft for 2008 onward.

So to my mind the bolt is at least 30% over-torqued and that's why they recommend replacing it. But hey, you're a grown up - make up your own mind. :-)

RockyDS screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 08:33 PM
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #404
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
You have experience with 100,000 mile KLRs? Really?
Wow.

In the pics you have posted of your 2007, it looks brand new!
I don't need 100k of experience to know something will fail long before that. Once something fails, you stop testing it.

I have seen a mostly original KLR with 72,000 recently and the stock shock, but the bike wasn't hammered off-road.

I put about 5,000 miles on my KLR this season, including some this month in northern New England. As my time is split between six bikes, I don't consider that bad. I own no garage queens, if that's what you're attempting to imply.

Do you have anything positive to contribute, or are you merely looking for opportunities to criticize others?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #405
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I don't need 100k of experience to know something will fail long before that. Once something fails, you stop testing it.

I have seen a mostly original KLR with 72,000 recently and the stock shock, but the bike wasn't hammered off-road.

I put about 5,000 miles on my KLR this season, including some this month in northern New England. As my time is split between six bikes, I don't consider that bad. I own no garage queens, if that's what you're attempting to imply.

Do you have anything positive to contribute, or are you merely looking for opportunities to criticize others?
Not at all, I apologize if I came across that way.

I have owned a KLR since 1998, there's 3 of them in my garage right now.
(2 parts bikes, salvage )

Over my years of ownership, attending a dozen or more tech days, going to the Canyonlands Motor Classic (back when it was the KLR Owner's get-together, even), I've seen lots of enthusiastic new owners, who want to contribute, make a lot of statements they believe as a fact that are in reality either parroted, conjecture, or flat out wrong.

KLRs really are an "everyman's" bike, and there is an awful lot of incorrect information spouted precisely because of this.

Not to pick on anyone, but "Im gonna try the original links again, I loved the rasied bike, but it also screwed with my chain tenson, and sprockets" is a perfect example of a completely wrong statement. LIKE DIRTYDOG THE GENIUS SAID, "Raising links don't magically stretch the swingarm"...

Thanks
CA Stu A13

PS The only man I am aware of who can talk about 100k mile KLRs from his experience is kdxkawboy.

CA Stu screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 11:22 AM
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote