Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #4066
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Anyone out there happen to have an idea how to change the seat to peg height other than highway pegs?
Make some peg mounts.

You don't have to mount BOTH peg mounts at the same time unless you want to take a picture showing the difference.

For me 1.5" down and 1" back made a huge difference.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #4067
L-ucky-S-ix
Dadgum'd

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb619 View Post
Anyone in N. Colorado have an extra inner chain adjuster for a 1st gen? I'm currently in the Fort Collins area but need to get home to California ASAP.
I sent a PM as I do have whatchya need.
L-ucky-S-ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #4068
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Dang, that headlight is bright. Couldn't even see the fender!
That's the Britannia Fairing with the HID kit. Spendy, but works well and the lights will burn your face off your skull. Check out Ian in the vendor's forum. I have few worries riding at night.

Low fender install, as I did it:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...numan&page=228
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #4069
hydrashoks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
as posted in another KLR thread I started, but looking for advice from the collective...

SO, i cannot figger why it wont start any way other then in neutral. I havent taken the controls apart, but where it the damn clutch bypass, how does it work, etc....it should from what here is telling me, start in any gear w the cluch pulled in...it doesnt. I also noticed that when i tightened the bark buster, that when the clutch was pulled in, it didnt return all the way out. stupid design. HELP w this if you have spec knowledge, i'm still searching for a factory service manual....where do I double check to see if there is a malfunction here?

NEXT BIGGER PROBLEM.

I LOST THE DAMN EXHAUST FROM THE HEAD PIPE BACK ON THE HIGHWAY FRIDAY!!! How the F does this happen?
I don't even have a full tank of gas thru this...cornering into an on-ramp, it dissapeared...drove it 10mi home w just the head pipe...looked under there, no clamp on the head pipe and apparently there's 2 mount holes on the rider's LHS frame, where it should have been fastened.
So pissed. i;ve had this bike 2 weeks, 16k on a 05.
Called the dealer, and the sales manager said that he'd reach out to the boss...no reply. Called them the next day, and he said that he still hadnt heard from the boss, and that the boss would call me Tuesday...obviously loosing an exhaust off a bike they just sold, and almost wiping out the rider isnt a big concern for them...

Fvcking BS.

Anyone have any advice on a slip on pipe that doesnt need re jetting? if not, a pipe / jet kit combo?
Who the F doesnt check this on a bike before they sell it?
hydrashoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #4070
Thumper26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
as posted in another KLR thread I started, but looking for advice from the collective...

SO, i cannot figger why it wont start any way other then in neutral. I havent taken the controls apart, but where it the damn clutch bypass, how does it work, etc....it should from what here is telling me, start in any gear w the cluch pulled in...it doesnt. I also noticed that when i tightened the bark buster, that when the clutch was pulled in, it didnt return all the way out. stupid design. HELP w this if you have spec knowledge, i'm still searching for a factory service manual....where do I double check to see if there is a malfunction here?

NEXT BIGGER PROBLEM.

I LOST THE DAMN EXHAUST FROM THE HEAD PIPE BACK ON THE HIGHWAY FRIDAY!!! How the F does this happen?
I don't even have a full tank of gas thru this...cornering into an on-ramp, it dissapeared...drove it 10mi home w just the head pipe...looked under there, no clamp on the head pipe and apparently there's 2 mount holes on the rider's LHS frame, where it should have been fastened.
Called the dealer, and the sales manager said that he'd reach out to the boss...no reply. Called them the next day, and he said that he still hadnt heard from the boss, and that the boss would call me Tuesday...obviously loosing an exhaust off a bike they just sold, and almost wiping out the rider isnt a big concern for them...

Fvcking BS.

Anyone have any advice on a slip on pipe that doesnt need re jetting? if not, a pipe / jet kit combo?

Don't know if this will help you, but I thought it was worth sharing just in case:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sea...y=MC&page_no=1

Thumper26
Thumper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #4071
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

You need to do both the clutch switch AND the side-stand switch mod. It will only start in neutral with the side-stand down, even if the clutch mod has been done. Check your side-stand each time you take off! Having one deployed is an easy way to engage in some high-speed soil-sampling.

There are plenty of aftermarket mufflers out there, from the Tractor Supply mod for about $30 up to full systems that cost as much as the bike. Most offer significant weight savings over stock. Don't expect a muffler to turn the KLR into a race bike. Power gains are minimal.

I guess the lesson here is that you need to check everything you can on the bike. Obviously the dealer didn't. I'd be making friends with a tube of Loc-Tite. This is more-or-less standard procedure, anyway. It's said you can track a KLR by the fasteners it leaves behind.

Getting the bark busters not to interfere with the levers is simply a matter of adjusting the bark buster. Many simply clip an inch off the lever. I like the Polisport hand guards, as they haven't interfered with the controls on any of the four bikes I've put them on.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #4072
hydrashoks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
You need to do both the clutch switch AND the side-stand switch mod. It will only start in neutral with the side-stand down, even if the clutch mod has been done. Check your side-stand each time you take off! Having one deployed is an easy way to engage in some high-speed soil-sampling.

There are plenty of aftermarket mufflers out there, from the Tractor Supply mod for about $30 up to full systems that cost as much as the bike. Most offer significant weight savings over stock. Don't expect a muffler to turn the KLR into a race bike. Power gains are minimal.

I guess the lesson here is that you need to check everything you can on the bike. Obviously the dealer didn't. I'd be making friends with a tube of Loc-Tite. This is more-or-less standard procedure, anyway. It's said you can track a KLR by the fasteners it leaves behind.

Getting the bark busters not to interfere with the levers is simply a matter of adjusting the bark buster. Many simply clip an inch off the lever. I like the Polisport hand guards, as they haven't interfered with the controls on any of the four bikes I've put them on.

Ok, I need to clarify.

The stock exhaust is gone. prolly in the woods, starting a fire. I went back and looked for it, but w cars zipping by me on a blind exit ramp, it wasnt the safest place to picnic.

i'd like to do a new pipe from the head pipe back, as that's what's missing. So i'd need a mid pipe/can. No jetting required if possible. not making a race bike. I have my ZRX for that.

as for the bark buster, i tightened the screw that went thru the clutch perch that holds the buster on. doing that must squeeze the clutch to the point that it doesnt go back out when pulled in. it isnt a issue of the buster hitting the lever, and im sure as hell not cutting down a short lever to begin with.

I need direction on these mods. the search function here is poop.

I dont want to mod the kickstand switch unless I have to. i've seen too many hardley riders eat it by leaving it down.

I just want a bike I can pull the clutch in, and start it. in any gear.

and a exhaust pipe. the neighbors would appreciate that.

TIA
hydrashoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #4073
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,185
Quote:
Ok, I need to clarify.

The stock exhaust is gone. prolly in the woods, starting a fire. I went back and looked for it, but w cars zipping by me on a blind exit ramp, it wasnt the safest place to picnic.

i'd like to do a new pipe from the head pipe back, as that's what's missing. So i'd need a mid pipe/can. No jetting required if possible. not making a race bike. I have my ZRX for that.

as for the bark buster, i tightened the screw that went thru the clutch perch that holds the buster on. doing that must squeeze the clutch to the point that it doesnt go back out when pulled in. it isnt a issue of the buster hitting the lever, and im sure as hell not cutting down a short lever to begin with.

I need direction on these mods. the search function here is poop.

I dont want to mod the kickstand switch unless I have to. i've seen too many hardley riders eat it by leaving it down.

I just want a bike I can pull the clutch in, and start it. in any gear.

and a exhaust pipe. the neighbors would appreciate that.

TIA
For the muffler, check out the Leo Vince X3.
I think I will be trying one of these in the spring.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #4074
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,185
I eliminate the clutch and side stand switch.

Get some real aluminum barkbusters.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #4075
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Yes, "Barkbuster" is a brand name that implies a full-loop aluminum hand-guard. The stock "twig guards" are almost useless for serious protection.

This is the type of item that works:

Use Google to search for the electrical mods. There's plenty of information here and on Thumper Talk, and the muffler question has been "exhaustively" discussed!

Try this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611580
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #4076
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Hey guys. I've had 2 KLR's in the past, and keep trading them for something else, then coming right back.

Now it's time to come back. I have a pristine PC800 (the KLR of the street bike world) that I'm looking to trade for something like a KLR.

If you know anyone with a KLR that isn't riding much dirt, send them my way. I'm in the Vegas area, and my bike is realistically worth about $3500, so looking for something with similar value.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #4077
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Hey guys. I've had 2 KLR's in the past, and keep trading them for something else, then coming right back.

Now it's time to come back. I have a pristine PC800 (the KLR of the street bike world) that I'm looking to trade for something like a KLR.

If you know anyone with a KLR that isn't riding much dirt, send them my way. I'm in the Vegas area, and my bike is realistically worth about $3500, so looking for something with similar value.
I have a PC800, and my KLR is plenty dirty, but I agree with your assessment!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #4078
KL_ARRR
Adventure Piggy

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Green wire down by your counter sprocket. When it see's ground (via the neutral switch inside the engine case) it lights. Most common issue is poor routing and chain cuts/rubs the wire.
The green wire looked okay near the counter sprocket. It also happened in the rain when I rode home tonight, so I suspect it could be under the dash. The hunt continues...
KL_ARRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #4079
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Two years or less on them. I have 3 right now sitting. 2 are half ish tread and are the stock take-offs that were removed when the original tears wore out and the bikes were switched to pr2's. One is a bit more worn, it was cupping weird and causing headshake on my fjr.

The main reason I'm thinking this is because I would prefer to change tires on my ninja and dad's gsxr as a set rather than have a new rear and worn front. If I had a use for the takeoffs I wouldn't feel bad about removing a good tire. I'll give it a shot soon, I'm about due for a swap. I may end up missing the off road ability and abandon the idea anyways.
It could be just me but i just wouldn't put used tires on a bike but mainly for me becuase i commute on it. I mean just try them out would be my best guess but maybe bring em to a bike shop and ask them...? usually they are friendly and honest enough.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #4080
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:

NEXT BIGGER PROBLEM.

Fvcking BS.

That actually happened word for word for me as well! I was riding home from work and then it went from regular exhaust noise to a very loud noise. Stopped on the side of freeway and noticed it was gone!

I got a DG exhaust. SOunds really sick but after 300 miles, back firing started so now need to jet it... cost for kit is 60 bucks but since i do not know how to do it, i gotta pay for mechanic to do it. Shoot me a message if you want pictures... i will try to post some soon.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote