Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #4141
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
+1

Thought I could get by with just the 01 KLR. No, not any more. It is fine machine for short highway hauls or backroad/offroad trips, but BC-Ontario return on the KLR was once enough for me so I bought a 2000 Kawasaki Concours as a stablemate. Long haul road rides are sheer pleasure on the Connie. Different bikes for different things...
Really?

Having ridden Mexico 4X, TX to VA 4X through 15 states and back, WY, MT, Alberta up to Jasper and over to BC and back, NE States, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to mention a few with many over 800 miles days on it. The KLR can be a fine machine for touring - in fact it is more ergonomically comfortable than my R1150R Beemer! Now if the wind is blowing - not so. Obviously not as fast as the sport touring machines. One can make any bike comfortable- even a KLR.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #4142
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
+1

Thought I could get by with just the 01 KLR. No, not any more. It is fine machine for short highway hauls or backroad/offroad trips, but BC-Ontario return on the KLR was once enough for me so I bought a 2000 Kawasaki Concours as a stablemate. Long haul road rides are sheer pleasure on the Connie. Different bikes for different things...

Many people have a KLR and a Concours.

'07 KLR

'02 Connie.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #4143
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I think it depends on what you are used to or what you consider acceptable. I rode mine from NC to Yellowstone and it was all super slab from NC to Montana. I'd do it again tomorrow. My only complaint is I want to cruise at 80mph and it want's to cruise at about 72mph. My ZX-6 would cruise at 100 without breaking a sweat but my wrists and lower back hated me after 400 miles. And that was 6 years ago, now a days my knees would be hating me after 2 hours. My VFR would chug happily at any speed but again wasn't great for long days, at least not for my body. The KLR with a nice seat upgrade and a 16 tooth sprocket is a mile eater, a little slower than some, but will happily tick them off. we did 650 miles days 4 days in a row, 2 days of touring Yellowstone then another 4 days in a row of 650 mile super slab days. My 88' KLR, motor wise, it seemed to be able to rev a little more without hiding any oil, but wind wise, the 12' with the fairing is great on the highway. Is it a Connie or a DL....nope, but it will get the job done without complaint all day every day. And I think that's the point of jasbike's question, he is wanting to do more with less, if there was ever a slogan for the KLR, that is it. Hell with a nice backrest and a seat (I won't whore out any more pics of the Terry Addcox seat with the back rest) it can even be a decent 2-up machine.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #4144
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I think it depends on what you are used to or what you consider acceptable.
Yep, I came from an XT250 that had ergonomics that my body hated; the KLR is a dream in comparison. Mine will cruise at 75 all day (stock gearing, but intake/exhaust and spot on jetting by the PO) and hang with traffic no problem. I'd not hesitate to slab just about anywhere for a few days on it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #4145
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
What 4-pots callipers are considered an upgrade for KLR? I
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #4146
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,462
My KilLeR has a 14 on the front and I have done from Tombstone up 191 to Alpine , over to Reserve, up into the mountains for twenty miles, back to Reserve, and then to Deming. 505 mostly fun miles on a stock seat. But then again, had I been on an interstate I'd have offed myself. Keep it interesting and the miles fly by. JMO.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #4147
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
My KilLeR has a 14 on the front and I have done from Tombstone up 191 to Alpine , over to Reserve, up into the mountains for twenty miles, back to Reserve, and then to Deming. 505 mostly fun miles on a stock seat. But then again, had I been on an interstate I'd have offed myself. Keep it interesting and the miles fly by. JMO.
More than 30 minutes on a stock seat is sadistic torture! The 'Russel', however, is truely an all day long and more seat!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #4148
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
More than 30 minutes on a stock seat is sadistic torture! The 'Russel', however, is truely an all day long and more seat!
I keep hearing how brutal the stock seat is on the KLR, but I just don't see it. I have been doing 50-100mi rides on mine since I purchased it recently and it has been anything but uncomfortable. Perhaps my expectations are quite low having come from the KLX seat... I don't doubt that the stock seat can be improved upon, I just don't find it to be as uncomfortable as others have. Maybe they improved it for 2012+ MY?
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #4149
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kawasaki kid View Post
I keep hearing how brutal the stock seat is on the KLR, but I just don't see it. I have been doing 50-100mi rides on mine since I purchased it recently and it has been anything but uncomfortable. Perhaps my expectations are quite low having come from the KLX seat... I don't doubt that the stock seat can be improved upon, I just don't find it to be as uncomfortable as others have. Maybe they improved it for 2012+ MY?
I have a saddleman on mine from the po, but I borrowed a friends 2012 klr for a few weeks as a test ride before I bought one. The stock seat felt awesome for about 2 hours, then it all changed. It's weird to describe, but it feels great at first.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #4150
jasbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thanks for all the input

I test drove the 2010 KLR and it was ok. I took it down the highway It pulled out of harms way. I took it the ditches along the highway it did fine putzin in 1rst gear. took it in the desert sand and it did not sink the frount end in the sand. A third the HP of the Strom 1000 but alot less weight in the frount. It felt like a dirt bike. Then when I got back on my dl1000 I said wow what a pig! The power was great but wow what a pig! The guy did not want to trade. No one in town is taking trades unless they are like a year old and 3k miles. One shop doesnt even take trades.

Sooo I will be selling my dl1000 outright and the dealer will give me a good cash price on the KLR

less really is more.
Elsinor MT 250, TT500 (3), CR 480R, 1400 Intruder, 650 Twin Suzuki, Yamaha Ventures (3), Harley Davidson Electraglide, GL1800, Saber, etc....
jasbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #4151
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
I bought my KLR knowledge unseen. I have been riding since I could walk (TACO mini bike, to different MX classes to Class 5 buggies to 410 sprints) and had no idea of what the modern enduro had to offer.
I was laughingly disappointed in my new to me 05. Gutless, heavy, no feel for the suspension and it was terrifying.
My first impression should have been, "dump this bike and find another lighter bike with a better power to weight ratio", no. I liked the ride. It for sure was not a great.comfortable cruiser and it really had no safe handling feeling off road.
The KLR is a blank slate. Inexpensive and durable. Pack it down with panniers and your fat ass ()just me) and go around the world or trim it down and try to fit through trees...Tune to your hearts content.

There is no true dual sport. None of them do EVERYTHING you want them to do. I find myself chasing the Euro guys but also find them whining when there is some asphalt to deal with. I will ride to Reno on the ribbon or take the FS roads, or gear up and find our own way..
The mods are endless, make it your own.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #4152
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I bought my KLR knowledge unseen. I have been riding since I could walk (TACO mini bike, to different MX classes to Class 5 buggies to 410 sprints) and had no idea of what the modern enduro had to offer.
I was laughingly disappointed in my new to me 05. Gutless, heavy, no feel for the suspension and it was terrifying.
My first impression should have been, "dump this bike and find another lighter bike with a better power to weight ratio", no. I liked the ride. It for sure was not a great.comfortable cruiser and it really had no safe handling feeling off road.
The KLR is a blank slate. Inexpensive and durable. Pack it down with panniers and your fat ass ()just me) and go around the world or trim it down and try to fit through trees...Tune to your hearts content.

There is no true dual sport. None of them do EVERYTHING you want them to do. I find myself chasing the Euro guys but also find them whining when there is some asphalt to deal with. I will ride to Reno on the ribbon or take the FS roads, or gear up and find our own way..
The mods are endless, make it your own.
People either love or hate KLR's...I think the people that love the big pigs except them for what they are, a budget friendly jack of all trades bike. With a little tweaking and farkling a KLR can be set up to do most any type of riding you want...and at a rather modest price if you choose.

as for the stock seat..works for me, my longest days and most miles have been on the KLR. Stock seat and stock bars the bike just fits me I am however thinking of trying the seat concepts next year

And as for the KLR and Interstate travel...it "will" do it just not in the capacity I want it too. Besides I much prefer less traveled roads and longer days on the KLR..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #4153
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

[QUOTE=
There is no true dual sport. None of them do EVERYTHING you want them to do. The mods are endless, make it your own.[/QUOTE]

Excellent comment!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #4154
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kawasaki kid View Post

The seat was one concern that kept me from getting a KLR sooner. I never had a complaint about the V-Strom seats, although many did, but I expected the KLR to be noticably less comfortable (it is a bit). So, the first trip on my '07 a few weeks ago began with some trepidation on that count. 260 miles one way, then closer to 300 on the return at the end of the weekend. No complaints at all on the stock seat with a sheepskin buttpad. Maybe we'll find some ways to enhance it over time, but I'm way too cheap to get a $700 seat for a $2500 motorcycle.

When I see folks worrying to death over details of seats, windscreens and the softest toilet paper I think they should dig out their kids' old copy of 'The Princess and the Pea' and read it a few times.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #4155
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,580
I cut out a portion of my stock seat and put in firmer foam. It is more level, a little taller than stock, a little narrower in front and a tiny bit wider at the back of my butt. The stock vinyl still fits (barely). I had to make some trips of 1,025 to 1,050 miles this summer and the KLR did that just fine 4 times in 20 to 22 hours each time. (OK, the bike started burning oil; that has been fixed.)

But no windscreen for me, thanks. I'll leave my head in clean air.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote