Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #4231
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
Yeah I screwed up royal and drilled down and to the front busting threw the plug for about a inch before I noticed I was way off. Was able to wallow it back true though via the other side but now there is a hole in the plug in the center. Everything is back up and installed and it feels stronger then hell but I just feel bad that I manged to screw up that bad.

Now to finish poping the dent out of my gas tank (from the PO) and painting it red to match the plasic. Hoping to get it all sanded and preped today. Siphon the gas out, sand with 150 wet then 1000 then hit it with cleaner. Hoping it isnt as time consuming as it sounds.
I'm not a professional painter but I have painted for many years. As always you should refer to the Materials Data Sheet available for you paint product but in all the years painting with many types of paint no manufacturer will suggest going from a 150 grit to 1000 grit. Two issues....you'd spend way way way too much time trying to remove 150 grit scratches using 1000 grit and no paint will properly adhere to a surface properly sanded to 1000 grit. Most manufactures do not want anything finer than 400grit for best adhesion and final look. Always use the least amount of grit paper to do the job then use each and every grit subsequent till you arrive at the recommended sanded substrate. Example: If the job/fix requires 100 grit then sand with 150, 220, 280 then 320. If you can get away with starting with 220 then you only have to use 280 then 320.

1000 grit is used as a step in the final polish of the clear coat. I generally start with 1500 then 2000 then 2500 before breaking out my machine polisher which also goes through a number of compounds before final buff.

Paint job outcome is directly proportional to the time spent prepping. You can teach a monkey to paint but takes time/experience to prep for a nice outcome.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4232
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
All clutch components are stock !! a mod was done on lever, to cure excessive clutch travel.
I've ordered in new bits in the meantime, somehow i get the feeling ill be sitting with excessive travel soon
Still, something is causing the difficulty squeezing the lever. I too have the 2HE clutch arm mod. (2-Headlight Ernie is an inmate here. You might contact him about the breakage.)

Have you taken the clutch cover off yet to take a peek?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #4233
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Still, something is causing the difficulty squeezing the lever. I too have the 2HE clutch arm mod. (2-Headlight Ernie is an inmate here. You might contact him about the breakage.)

Or even just pulled the clutch arm out of the case? I've seen pictures of one that someone tore up, ended up just being the arm needed to be replaced.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #4234
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I'm not a professional painter but I have painted for many years. As always you should refer to the Materials Data Sheet available for you paint product but in all the years painting with many types of paint no manufacturer will suggest going from a 150 grit to 1000 grit. Two issues....you'd spend way way way too much time trying to remove 150 grit scratches using 1000 grit and no paint will properly adhere to a surface properly sanded to 1000 grit. Most manufactures do not want anything finer than 400grit for best adhesion and final look. Always use the least amount of grit paper to do the job then use each and every grit subsequent till you arrive at the recommended sanded substrate. Example: If the job/fix requires 100 grit then sand with 150, 220, 280 then 320. If you can get away with starting with 220 then you only have to use 280 then 320.

1000 grit is used as a step in the final polish of the clear coat. I generally start with 1500 then 2000 then 2500 before breaking out my machine polisher which also goes through a number of compounds before final buff.

Paint job outcome is directly proportional to the time spent prepping. You can teach a monkey to paint but takes time/experience to prep for a nice outcome.
Fantastic, thanks man. Im a complete noob when it comes to painting and I was just going off of what I was told by another newbie. Thanks again!
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #4235
Drybonz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post

I took the cover off had a look, the flat section on the end of the clutch rod was lying in the sump
the clutch arm/actuater (that connects to the cable) is chewed up
2 of the stalks (that the springs bolt onto) in the clutch hub are cracked at the base

It almost seems as if the clutch arm was turning two far and broke the clutch rod,

my new bits will arrive on Tuesday, hopefully everything will come right

I want to ride my bike !!!!!!!
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #4236
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,028
So for a total idiot when it comes to motorcycle tires, what do you guys suggest as an AT style tire that handles well in damp weather conditions as well?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4237
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
K60 Scout

lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #4238
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 376
Opinions on replacing the stock spark plug??

Are the upgraded type (Irridium, E3, Split Fire) worth the money for a stock 09 KLR?

I am tearing into the bike this weekend to complete a few projects and will have the tank off.

So I figured this would be the time to replace it for good of service.

Thanks,

Craig

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen

schaffer40 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:17 PM Reason: punctuation
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #4239
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Just ordered a bunch of stuff for the klr last weekend and have been receiving it. Go happy trails nerf kit/highway peg/ bash plate for one of the bikes. Got a new Brake lever for the other KLR, and took the battery back to cycle gear to warranty it. The battery only lasted 2 months. Also got a bigger windscreen for me. And a carb vent for the other bike. And luggage for the other bike.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #4240
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post

Are the upgraded type (Irridium, E3, Split Fire) worth the money for a stock 09 KLR?

I am tearing into the bike this weekend to complete a few projects and will have the tank off.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #4241
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

Thanks,

Craig
I have used the Irridium exclusively from day one. Yes, it gives 3 more HP, cleans the pipe out and lasts forever!

Actually, I have used it exclusively fr 45K miles - change it out at 15K. Buy it at your local auto parts store- much cheaper that on-line. Never had any issues with them. Are they any better than regular - who knows? Why do I use it - because I like the technology associated with it.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #4242
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:

Thanks,

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Like anything, its up for argument. But in my very humble opinion... no. There's no noticeable benefit to an "upgraded" spark plug. The recommended NGK will give very reliable spark and excellent longevity, assuming proper jetting.

Again... MHO.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #4243
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
K60 Scout

The K76's are also VERY good in wet, but are more street oriented. They do well off road in everything except mud. YMMV

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #4244
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I have used the Irridium exclusively from day one. Yes, it gives 3 more HP, cleans the pipe out and lasts forever!

That's good stuff right there.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #4245
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowbraid View Post

The K76's are also VERY good in wet, but are more street oriented. They do well off road in everything except mud. YMMV
That's what I have on the rear right now, and IMO the handling is absolutely dreadful off anything but pavement. Will the K60's work with the stock wheel (since I see they are tubeless)?

Like I said I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to motersickle tires

Any other suggestions? Something that wears well on the road would be nice.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me

XpressCS screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:20 AM
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote