Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,672
"Sounds like someone is a bitter person, not wanting to participate without throwing a few stones?" Willys. Your rant!

Anyone who has been on a bike forum or any other forum, will by now have realized that they contain a lot of BS. Merely stating that makes a person bitter? Why would stating the obvious get your panties in a wad - unless you have something we need to know?

"Take all advice, including this, with a pinch of salt" Tsotsie.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #32
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
"Sounds like someone is a bitter person, not wanting to participate without throwing a few stones?" Willys. Your rant!

Anyone who has been on a bike forum or any other forum, will by now have realized that they contain a lot of BS. Merely stating that makes a person bitter? Why would stating the obvious get your panties in a wad - unless you have something we need to know?

"Take all advice, including this, with a pinch of salt" Tsotsie.

Well I was going to sub to this but three pages in and already this crap!!?? Is Glenn one of these posters?

Out...

John
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #33
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 375
I love my klr i am just saying the engine has not been really updated in like 20u years. Haha. I would pay 8k for a newer style klr. Or maybe i just want to see kawasaki make a beefy adventure bike, to keep up with the the rest of the manufacturers. I want kawasaki to be the leaders.
On a side note, i painted my bike this weekend khaki color. Looks greak, just got to paint the gas tank.
Henderson757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Fwiw... For a taller KLR rider, the zero gravity touring/sport screen with KLRDash adjustable risers work very very well for excellent buffeting. If you're 6'4" or more, save yourself a bunch of money and just buy one that fits and looks cool.

EagleMike bar riser blocks= A+

Ps... I do not work for, know, associate or any other connection to these two products other than I had been comparing & trying out many different combos. YMMV but for my $150 this was a perfect fit.

PLUS.... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS ALWAYS TRYING TO SHIFT INTO 6th GEAR, ALL THE TIME!?!?!?

Same token, I cannot figure out why guys go with a 17 tooth front. I feel like I am always about to glug & stall out when on mild trails and the ominal dirt riding I do. I just couldn't imagine trying to wind that fat pig up just to climb slight dirt bumps. Again YMMV.

Pps... This is been the best motorcycle I have ever owned. It's so much fun to ride. So very simple to ride. I love sitting up high & tall (higher than giant SUV's). It is just such a treat to ride around on. If I'm cruising down the highway and see a dark gravel road throu the hills, the KLR awards me to just say "hey, stop. Turn around & let's just see where this goes." could be an old abandoned building with a stellar view or a house on property which is vacant and on short sale. Etc etc etc... Couldnt do this on the Harley, Brit bikes or the Suzuki I owned. Just my homely KLR with a GIANT oem tank.
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
There are a plethora of advice columns and websites for the KLR - filled with mostly either bad, regurgitated or opportunistic advice. Many of the experts have a history of failed projects and farkeling.

Take all advice, including this, with a pinch of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
From this comment, sounds now to me like someone may be a defensive, judgmental, perhaps egotistical person.

Here's hoping the purported KLR thread avoids the evangelical dogmatism of the KLR forums mentioned, with self-styled guru authorities dictating the "one true way" to address all issues.

Cynicism and sarcasm aside, no reason not to have a KLR-specific thread, filled (one hopes) with civility and sense.

Why drop into someone's efforts to build a comprehensive KLR thread, like is done with the XRL, DR's, etc and bash and belittle the effort and the people?

My experiences with those other forums, and here, is they are full of good advice and people who are helpful unless you're an .

Now back to the bike. As to the forks, you don't have to completely disassemble them to clean them. I've found that if the oil is really contaminated, you can fill them with paint thinner or mineral spirits and pump them up a few times, and flush them out. Then fill them back again and let it sit overnight, then completely drain them. Refill with ATF, which is cheap and the same chemically as fork oil, rinse them out so you get rid of the mineral spirits or whatever you choose. Then refill with the fork oil of your choice, or stay with ATF, which works just fine at a fraction of the cost. After all it IS a KLR.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #36
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 138
Kick stand switch

I'm all for a positive KLR site where we can share information as we enjoy our KLR's

I can start it off now.

09 will not start. Battery is good. All lights work. Horn ect. Seems like I have read about the kick stand switch being a problem. There must be a way to bypass that switch so that I can tell if it's the problem. Anyone know how to do this? I'm in the middle of a multi day ride and could sure use the help
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #37
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
I'm all for a positive KLR site where we can share information as we enjoy our KLR's

I can start it off now.

09 will not start. Battery is good. All lights work. Horn ect. Seems like I have read about the kick stand switch being a problem. There must be a way to bypass that switch so that I can tell if it's the problem. Anyone know how to do this? I'm in the middle of a multi day ride and could sure use the help
Have you checked all your starter connections, plugs and wires? To Bypass kickstand switch http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=bypass

lexluther11 screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 10:52 AM
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #38
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post

I can start it off now.

IIRC, you should be able to disconnect the wiring and shunt them together to test it out. Also, there is a clutch safety switch you should check. They sometimes clog with goo and stop moving.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #39
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
You were baned or driven away from the other site for this.
You jump to unwarranted conclusions, as usual, willys. I have never been banned nor "driven away" from any website; check any members list where I have posted.

Just wondering, how is one, "driven away" from an Internet website? By angry villagers, wielding pitchforks and torches?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #40
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
here!

Present........
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,727
Klr

What the hell guys?

What is it about this bike that brings out the worst in us? We share the same roads and trails and we all obviously love to ride. I have ridden scores of bikes over the past 30+ years and quite a few of them cost a lot more than the KLR.

I am well aware of the limitations and shortcomings of the KLR but I prefer to stay focused on why I like it. The KLR is a basic machine with a decades old engine design that has stood the test of time. It fits my 6'-5" frame better than the vast majority of bikes out there.

But most of all it brings a smile to my face every time I throw my leg over the seat and thumb the starter. Most of us should probably ride more and type less.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill

ausfahrt screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 12:07 PM
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #42
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,608
The KLR simply is what it is. . . a farm tractor on two wheels. I've been guilty of looking for another gear on all my bikes at times.

Why don't we take the bickering and name-calling over to Jo Momma or Head Explody? This thread has hope of being useful, and the pissing contests are getting it nowhere.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #43
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
It was my intention to try and get a KLR specific thread going for all the right reasons.....I'm willing to stay on course ....

The tractor mentality is the exact way I describe the KLR to anyone who doesn't know anything about. It is a basic tractor type piece of machinery, nothing special, nothing flashy, just does the job...plain and simple.

willys screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 12:00 PM Reason: I edited all previous posts to stay on topic...hopefully others will follow my lead.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #44
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Well I was going to sub to this but three pages in and already this crap!!?? Is Glenn one of these posters?

Out...

John
+1

IMHO- scrap this thread and take a lesson from how Krusty ... has designed the DR650 tech thread topics. That's the only way to 1. stay on track and 2. help filter out the bullshit. Otherwise, this type of thread will never really be helpful- just another forum for the same re-hashed questions and answers.

That, or for real KLR tech advice go over to .net or the old reliable MarkNet or Big Cee KLR pages.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 01:00 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #45
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544
OK I'm in! I have always checked the Thumper thread to scour for KLR bits and wondered why "we" didn't have our own. Well now we do so "can't we all just get along" and lets make this work.

Just added new TKC's to the ride and WOW I wonder what took me so long. Excellent on gravel and trails and really surprised at how well the work on the road. I stay off the slab on the KLR (that's what the GS is for) and can honestly say I'll never use another tire...................................as long as they don't quit making them

oh, sorry no current picture of the new skins...............
Attached Images

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote