User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #4591
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Rhino Liner truck bedliner coating

I had my my gas tank and sidecovers sprayed with rhino liner this summer. They sprayed both sides of the side covers, and underside of the tank too, as suggested, basically fully encapsulating. I did all the prep myself... sanded the plastic thoroughly with rough 60 or 80 grit sandpaper. On the tank, I removed the decals, and sanded with about 120 grit. I thoroughly wiped 'er all down with acetone and brought it for spraying... cost me $100 to get done. No sign of lifting anywhere, and it's held up extremely well.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #4592
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Curious...did you encapsulate the entire plastic pieces? I ask as I have a neighbor who owns a local bed liner spray franchise and he said the only way he can get it to last on plastic bike panels is encapsulate the whole piece in a single application.
I was referring to the canned Duplicolor product not the commercial type of bedliner. I haven't tried that stuff, but whatever is chosen it has to maintain flexibility because the plastic is so flexible.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #4593
WilsonGermany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I like the klr ;) look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6sO...=ULMWuEomAKYDc
Day1.1
WilsonGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #4594
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 503
I like the klr ;) look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6sO...=ULMWuEomAKYDc
Day1.1[/QUOTE]

Very nice video....thanks for sharing it. You had a great journey.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4595
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
I had a similar problem this summer with my 01 klr.........all signs pointed to the carb but it turned out to be a failing voltage regulator. it was overheating and shutting down at higher speeds causing bad missing. once i replaced it the problem went away and i saw a rather dramatic increase in performance than i was feeling before. i guess it was going bad for some time.

another time i had a similar problem and it turned out to be a small flying insect in the float bowl..it would plug the main jet from time to time.
Thanks. I'll definately put that on the list. It's weird though being that this bike isn't as old so could be a defect which should be covered under the warranty. On another note, I put some fuel cleaner on a 6 hour ride Saturday. Didn't make a difference. However, I put some Supreme fuel in and it ran better but still skipped some. My mechanic assures me they cleaned out the whole carb and air box. Even drained the fuel tank. In summary. The bike runs. I had it to 78 on the interstate. Just every now and then. It will studder that lasts 2 to 5 seconds and stops. I do not seem to notice it when shifting. Only notice at cruising speeds. Next plan is to take it to a kawi dealer and have them pinpoint the problem. May help to get a second opinion. It's a learning process with this bike. I understand.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #4596
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
This concern sounds similar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
Thanks. I'll definately put that on the list. It's weird though being that this bike isn't as old so could be a defect which should be covered under the warranty. On another note, I put some fuel cleaner on a 6 hour ride Saturday. Didn't make a difference. However, I put some Supreme fuel in and it ran better but still skipped some. My mechanic assures me they cleaned out the whole carb and air box. Even drained the fuel tank. In summary. The bike runs. I had it to 78 on the interstate. Just every now and then. It will studder that lasts 2 to 5 seconds and stops. I do not seem to notice it when shifting. Only notice at cruising speeds. Next plan is to take it to a kawi dealer and have them pinpoint the problem. May help to get a second opinion. It's a learning process with this bike. I understand.

I fought a cutting out/stuttering problem on my 09 this past summer, Kept acting like I had contaminated fuel, I commute 55 miles one way and it would always occur after about 30 miles, drained the float bowl a couple of times, tried numerous attempts at fixing, I really didn't want to pull the carburetor, bike finally left me stranded one morning on the way to work, Had to have it towed home, came home that night and cleaned the carb. Never saw what the issue was but haven't had a repeat of the problem in the past 3K mikes.

On another note, checked my valve adjustment today, it's been 19,500 miles since the last adjustment Right side intake at .006, left side intake at .008 and both exh at .009 . I won't be messing with it again until about 45K Currently have just under 32K. Love this bike. Spark plug looked nice, tan colored regapped to .030 and put it back in. Much better than the light grey that it used to be with some of the other various items still bolted to the bike. Very nice improvement to rejetting and eliminating some items.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #4597
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,448
It has begun

The winter tear down,maintenance and upgrade of my 2007 KLR.

I had custom made my own crash bars and side case racks a few years ago. They were the first things I ever welded or fabricated and they have held up well so I decided to have them powder coated this year. So those will be the first things off.

Still trying to decide if I want to do the 685 upgrade or not, probably make a decision after the holidays.

How many of you guys are running center stands, any noticeable difference getting hung up off road?
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #4598
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
[How many of you guys are running center stands, any noticeable difference getting hung up off road?[/QUOTE]

defiantly. i took mine off after this

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #4599
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Always carry a chainsaw......
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #4600
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Always carry a chainsaw......
I do. Chain saw, anti Al- Kida kit, dooms day prepper kit, extra bike in parts, just in case..................................

Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #4601
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,446
Lake Superior this fall.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #4602
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I do. Chain saw, anti Al- Kida kit, dooms day prepper kit, extra bike in parts, just in case..................................

Epic top box.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #4603
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post

Is this the "my top box is bigger than your top box" thread.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #4604
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 604
I was transporting the box with the KLR to the welder to patch the holes from the previous owners install. I will cut the skirt just under the black line and belly mount it behind the battery box.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #4605
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Well, going to be back on a klr this spring. Trading my sled for one. Hopefully a new left over. There's a couple here so I may swing a deal even swap for one.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote