ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #4666
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer
 
phideaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: NW Georgia
Oddometer: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Ok KLR gurus.
I'm in contact with the inmate selling this sidecar

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853271

I'll be heading over to look at it, but wanted to ask any of you what your thoughts are as far as mounting it to my 99 KLR.
Anything to look for? Anything I need to buy? Any changes needed to the KLR?
Any and all help would be appreciated it.
Thanks
Contact DirtDabber!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=63437


Fido
__________________
Iron Butt Association No. 22913

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."


North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #4667
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
Oddometer: 1,662
Not a good match

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Ok KLR gurus.
I'm in contact with the inmate selling this sidecar

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853271

I'll be heading over to look at it, but wanted to ask any of you what your thoughts are as far as mounting it to my 99 KLR.
Anything to look for? Anything I need to buy? Any changes needed to the KLR?
Any and all help would be appreciated it.
Thanks
I have basically the same sidecar (mine is actually a newer Friendship 1 that opens up to climb in) on my Goldwing GL1500. They are way too big and heavy IMO for a KLR. For a KLR you want something lighter like a Velorex, or a DMC Enduro. Here is a link to DMC's Enduro page (no affiliation but I have one and like it a lot): http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/enduro/

... and a pic of my setup:

__________________
Spending my daughter's inheritance one motorcycle at a time.
Bikes currently owned: '91 Honda Gold Wing with sidecar, '92 Kawi KLR650 with Enduro sidecar, and '94 KLR650.
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #4668
mr. matteeanne
Barned
 
mr. matteeanne's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Dualsport Paradise, Olympics
Oddometer: 14,265
My 09 has a leak on the cooling fins of the radiator, can I just apply JB weld or something else to the affected area to stop the leak?
__________________
Don't be surprised.
mr. matteeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #4669
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
I have basically the same sidecar (mine is actually a newer Friendship 1 that opens up to climb in) on my Goldwing GL1500. They are way too big and heavy IMO for a KLR. For a KLR you want something lighter like a Velorex, or a DMC Enduro. Here is a link to DMC's Enduro page (no affiliation but I have one and like it a lot): http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/enduro/

... and a pic of my setup:


I'm really looking to use the sidecar for taking the pooches out. Not a lot of riding.
I want the sidecar to be enclosed for them.
The DMC is nice, but not a good match for my two dogs.
When I'm not taking them for a ride, the sidecar will be off for riding solo.
The fact that this sidecar I want to buy has no seat or carpet inside is a good thing.
With that said, what do you think?
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #4670
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.
 
DirtyDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa... it's OK
Oddometer: 7,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
My 09 has a leak on the cooling fins of the radiator, can I just apply JB weld or something else to the affected area to stop the leak?
Yes. To get it to seal properly, I took my rad off completely, rinsed it well (inside and out), baked it in the oven for a half hour to dry, and then applied JB to the hole. Been holding for a year now.
__________________
Day gives way to night on the store front mannequins. The audience with Mona Lisa grins.
Moonlight builds emotion as the players scuttle in. Pull the curtain back and let the show begin.
Lunar mischief under low light discipline. Here the tiny monsters hunt the harlequins.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #4671
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,447
thanks

[QUOTE=jules083;20400412]Sorry, I took the pictures then forgot to post them.







thanks that gives me some ideas
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #4672
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
My 09 has a leak on the cooling fins of the radiator, can I just apply JB weld or something else to the affected area to stop the leak?
While the JB weld might hold hold for a while, I personally would only do that in an emergency to get home. I would not trust the expansion and contraction of the different materials for hold for too long. I have used a company out of UT called Myler's to weld the AL and fix a bent radiator on my 08.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #4673
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
My 09 has a leak on the cooling fins of the radiator, can I just apply JB weld or something else to the affected area to stop the leak?
See your local radiator shop about using an epoxy specifically for radiator repairs, however, the real fix is to send it out to Mylers for a proper fixing and updating. The stock, genII in particular, is cheaply made/bonded together.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #4674
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
Oddometer: 1,662
Hacks forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I'm really looking to use the sidecar for taking the pooches out. Not a lot of riding.
I want the sidecar to be enclosed for them.
The DMC is nice, but not a good match for my two dogs.
When I'm not taking them for a ride, the sidecar will be off for riding solo.
The fact that this sidecar I want to buy has no seat or carpet inside is a good thing.
With that said, what do you think?
Check out the "hacks" forum sometime. Concensus is taking sidecar off not best idea (for a couple of reasons). For the KLR you need a subframe to bolt the sidecar to (DMC sells a nice one). The CSC sidecar is a nice sidecar, but better suited to a larger motorcycle. Lots of folks use Velorex sidecars to transport their pooches - numerous threads (and pics) on this in the hacks forum.
__________________
Spending my daughter's inheritance one motorcycle at a time.
Bikes currently owned: '91 Honda Gold Wing with sidecar, '92 Kawi KLR650 with Enduro sidecar, and '94 KLR650.
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #4675
MOTOSIERRAGORDA
MOTOSIERRAGORDA
 
MOTOSIERRAGORDA's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: SIERRAGORDA, JALPAN, QUERETARO, MEXICO
Oddometer: 4
Klr pressure tires

My first post in this forum, i present myself, eduardo ruiz corzo, from jalpan, queretaro, mexico, the sierra gorda, plenty of off roads, plenty of road curves, plenty of scenery, if someone likes to come just tel me.

To the matter..., can somebody tell me the right tire pressure for dual purpose, this is my first klr and is just great!! But the tire dealer says 21 psi is too low....

Help will be appreciated...
__________________
EDUARDO RUIZ CORZO
www.transierragorda.net
transierragorda@hotmail.com
MOTOSIERRAGORDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #4676
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,217
Motosierra. Heading down to your area in a couple of weeks with my nephews on our big bikes. I will send you a message about plans.

As to your question I usually keep my KLR tires in the middle of the range for dual sport 30/32. Paved only rides I bump it up to 34/36.

I would be afraid of rocks at 21 lbs.

Edit: I never drop below 24/26 but rarely air it down that low.

Further edit: But I weigh 245. That may change things.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 04:35 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #4677
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOSIERRAGORDA View Post
My first post in this forum, i present myself, eduardo ruiz corzo, from jalpan, queretaro, mexico, the sierra gorda, plenty of off roads, plenty of road curves, plenty of scenery, if someone likes to come just tel me.

To the matter..., can somebody tell me the right tire pressure for dual purpose, this is my first klr and is just great!! But the tire dealer says 21 psi is too low....

Help will be appreciated...
Welcome! While the KLR is certainly no dirt bike the manufacturers recommendation is about right for all around/light offroad usage with standard recommended tires... 21 front and 28 rear. I've run a bit less with some tires (more dirt oriented while offroad 18-22psi) and more with others. My street tire setup is 32/34psi.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #4678
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,396
I am looking for a set of first generation rear turn signals...I have one with a broken housing and no idea how it happened

also looking for input on fork oil weight. Running stock fork tubes with racetech gold valves and straight rate springs for my weight and riding style.
Thinking I am going with Belray 10W unless someone has something to add.
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #4679
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
looking for input on fork oil weight. Running stock fork tubes with racetech gold valves and straight rate springs for my weight and riding style.
Thinking I am going with Belray 10W unless someone has something to add.
I think you should contact Racetech and ask them what they recommend....
__________________
Quote:
"Ignorance, you see, can be out thought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
82 Honda C70, 71 Honda CL175, 08 Kawasaki KLR650, 85 Honda GL1200 Goldwing
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #4680
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I am looking for a set of first generation rear turn signals...I have one with a broken housing and no idea how it happened

also looking for input on fork oil weight. Running stock fork tubes with racetech gold valves and straight rate springs for my weight and riding style.
Thinking I am going with Belray 10W unless someone has something to add.
Belray 10 weight is perfect.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321 (FOR SALE)
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014