Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #4681
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 766
i don't mess with weights. just spring it the correct rate and valves if necessary. If everything else is right the weight should remain stock. I'm running 10 weight with straight rate springs for my weight up front and it works good.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #4682
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,396
Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
I think you should contact Racetech and ask them what they recommend....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i don't mess with weights. just spring it the correct rate and valves if necessary. If everything else is right the weight should remain stock. I'm running 10 weight with straight rate springs for my weight up front and it works good.
My original set up was through Sasquatch suspensions, we wont go into any of that here. But he told me to run Mobil 1 ATF fluid that it was equal to 7.5 w fork oil. This time around I have decided to go with fork oil to see if there is a difference. 10w seem's to be the going standard for the KLR and if anything should give me a slightly more planted feel on the front end.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #4683
mudpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
rear shock

looking at installing a MMP rear shock spring on stock shock, wandering if anyone has done this and if it is worth the effort and is there special tools needed to do the job hoping this will improve ride when loaded
mudpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #4684
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpi View Post
looking at installing a MMP rear shock spring on stock shock, wandering if anyone has done this and if it is worth the effort and is there special tools needed to do the job hoping this will improve ride when loaded

Quote:
has anyone installed a MMP spring on a stock shock at home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Yes, I did.

Umm.... here's your answer. Maybe follow up on your post, and ask ADW, since you now know he did it?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #4685
kdzidoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
looking for suggestions on nerf bars and a lockable tail bag for 2011 KLR650

Should I post this here or in the yard sale area?

Looking for suggestions on nerf bars or engine guards and lockable tail bags. I've looked on happy trails, but don't know of those are the best out there. You guys know all.

the PD nerf bars look OK, but what is the difference in engine guards and nerf bars?

Any suggestions on lockable tail bags, we can't find one that will hold 2 helmets and back support.

Thanks,
kdzidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #4686
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzidoc View Post

Looking for suggestions on nerf bars or engine guards and lockable tail bags. I've looked on happy trails, but don't know of those are the best out there. You guys know all.

the PD nerf bars look OK, but what is the difference in engine guards and nerf bars?

Any suggestions on lockable tail bags, we can't find one that will hold 2 helmets and back support.

Thanks,
I just ordered the pd nerf bars, should be here Tuesday. I'll know more then.

I have a givi topcase on my fjr that holds 2 helmets. It's huge, I wouldn't want it on the klr. You're not going to get any smaller though and still hold 2. I just carry a bicycle cable. Run it through the back wheel, through a grab handle, and around the chin bar. Covers all the bases.

Fjr with givi.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #4687
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
My original set up was through Sasquatch suspensions, we wont go into any of that here. But he told me to run Mobil 1 ATF fluid that it was equal to 7.5 w fork oil. This time around I have decided to go with fork oil to see if there is a difference. 10w seem's to be the going standard for the KLR and if anything should give me a slightly more planted feel on the front end.
Don't confuse a standard KLR forks with your modified forks. The valving methods are now completely different. Going to a heavier oil with a cartridge emulator will slow down the dampening and might make the forks slower and give it a harsh feeling. With what you are describing you might go the other way and try a 5w oil to soften the fork action.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #4688
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,896
I have had RT Emulators and springs in 2 Klrs.
10 weight is recommended.
The Emulators are adjustable and control compression, if you want more or less compression then adjust the Emulators accordingly.
If you are not happy with your Rebound, then you can play with oil weights as a tuning tool.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #4689
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Are you sure the MMP spring is right for you ?
How much do you weigh ?

I weigh 240 with gear and have a 500 inch lb. Eibach spring and really like it

To remove the spring from the shock I use an upright shop press.Its a pretty tough spring to remove.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #4690
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzidoc View Post

Thanks,
I think the best solution is too spend the money on an oversize tank that protects your radiator.
It will be a lighter solution, will be alot simpler taking the bike apart not having to mess with all the bars and stock side panels and you will have better range as a bonus.
And get the natural color so you can see your fuel level and make marks on the sides indicating gallons.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4691
mudpi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Are you sure the MMP spring is right for you ?
How much do you weigh ?

I weigh 240 with gear and have a 500 inch lb. Eibach spring and really like it

To remove the spring from the shock I use an upright shop press.Its a pretty tough spring to remove.
Will look at the Eibach shock. weigh 280 plus gear. need tank not KLR seams to do ok as is but always looking for improvement still get off road alot and loaded at the same time
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #4692
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
You may find it easier to find a automotive suspension shop to change the spring out for you for $20 or $50 if you don't have the tools. Safer that way anyway.
nvklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #4693
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
You may find it easier to find a automotive suspension shop to change the spring out for you for $20 or $50 if you don't have the tools. Safer that way anyway.
Most run of the mill automotive shops don't have the ability to compress motorcycle springs, moto springs are a smaller diameter and the compression arms for a car compressor won't go down that small. Just fyi on my experience.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #4694
mudpi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Most run of the mill automotive shops don't have the ability to compress motorcycle springs, moto springs are a smaller diameter and the compression arms for a car compressor won't go down that small. Just fyi on my experience.
I have a press and auto coil spring compressor tool but not sure if they will fit on coils. was hoping that someone had already done this and could help me cut to the chase. with advise. have not removed shock from bike yet. MMP mentioned that the spring can be installed from either end of shock. may have to just take apart and investigate. thanks for the help
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #4695
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Will look at the Eibach shock. weigh 280 plus gear. need tank not KLR seams to do ok as is but always looking for improvement still get off road alot and loaded at the same time
I don't think the mmp spring is enough for you, you need the Eibach 500.
Check out the chart here.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3Vm52Dt5w009Cg