Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #4711
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I just replaced the 10.x upper subframe bolts, one lower 10.x, and one lower stock grade, with 12.9. The local KLRistas said that 12.9, properly torqued, will not break unless I'm extreme on load and trail. Do ya'll know of 12.9 (non drill through) upper bolts shearing?

thanks.
I haven't seen any 12.9 break but again it depends on a lot of other variables. I often load my KLR down with entirely to much stuff then go pound it around all of our trashed back roads, dirt and gravel. So once mine broke I went for what seemed like the strongest repair I could make.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #4712
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzidoc View Post
Good call. The Givi looks way too big now that I see it on a bike. The bike cable lock sounds better.

A mate bought me one of these on special. He used to cable tie his lid to the bike, but came back one day to find spit and cigarette buts in it..... he worked at the unemployment office, so maybe he offended someone.

It rolls up in a bag not much bigger than a pair of socks*

*Long, thick woolen work socks, but still a pair of socks.

http://pacsafe.com/lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag

hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #4713
firewatermetal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1pheus View Post
Cant go wrong with Eagle Mikes Drill Through. I installed it on a project I'm working on.
[IMG][/IMG]
[QUOTE=A1pheus;20414187]Cant go wrong with Eagle Mikes Drill Through. I installed it on a project I'm working on.

Thanks for the input. Tom, thanks for the link.

I am ordering Eagle Mike's drill thru. I did a search and found a plethora of posts discussing the pros and cons of stock bolts vs upgrade. There is one that mentions using SAE bolts instead of metric. Plus several that talked about welding the frame. My vote is on the drill through kit. This seems to be a logical fix and would be easier to repair on the road.

A1pheus, do you have a project thread on that sweet looking green project you have there?

steed:2004 KLR650
1998 Dodge 2500
firewatermetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #4714
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,250
So while working on the '06 yesterday, doing subframe bolts and other items, I pulled the carb to check it out. Pretty clean which was good to see. Jets were stock (main #148, pilot #40). Pilot screw cap was off and set to 1.5 turns out.

The main jet wasn't even finger tight . Just a little effort and it backed right out. Yikes! There was a bad day in my future if I'd not found that. Anyway, gave it a spray with carb cleaner and blew out passages, did the 22 cent mod with a 0.028" thick washer, drilled slide to 7/64", set the pilot to 2 turns out (but plan to play with this later and find the correct setting), and replaced the phillips head screws with allen cap heads. Replaced the enricher with one of the brass cable eliminator units. Thought of trying the KLX250 enricher, but like the idea of this piece actually designed for the carb with the ability to hold choke position mid-range, whereas the KLX250 enricher is either on or off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KLR...495de9&vxp=mtr

Good weekend in the shop. Any thoughts on the above carb work, good, bad or indifferent? What do ya'll do with the stock choke lever when you use a cable eliminator? Leave the lever up there and plug the holes with silicone to keep the dust out, or are there better options?

Thanks to those who have offered advice, either here open in the forum or by PM. Much appreciated.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #4715
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
So while working on the '06 yesterday, doing subframe bolts and other items, I pulled the carb to check it out. Pretty clean which was good to see. Jets were stock (main #148, pilot #40). Pilot screw cap was off and set to 1.5 turns out.

The main jet wasn't even finger tight . Just a little effort and it backed right out. Yikes! There was a bad day in my future if I'd not found that. Anyway, gave it a spray with carb cleaner and blew out passages, did the 22 cent mod with a 0.028" thick washer, drilled slide to 7/64", set the pilot to 2 turns out (but plan to play with this later and find the correct setting), and replaced the phillips head screws with allen cap heads. Replaced the enricher with one of the brass cable eliminator units. Thought of trying the KLX250 enricher, but like the idea of this piece actually designed for the carb with the ability to hold choke position mid-range, whereas the KLX250 enricher is either on or off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KLR...495de9&vxp=mtr

Good weekend in the shop. Any thoughts on the above carb work, good, bad or indifferent? What do ya'll do with the stock choke lever when you use a cable eliminator? Leave the lever up there and plug the holes with silicone to keep the dust out, or are there better options?

Thanks to those who have offered advice, either here open in the forum or by PM. Much appreciated.
How do you like the enrichener off ebay?? Did you see the one Stead engineering has?
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #4716
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
How do you like the enrichener off ebay?? Did you see the one Stead engineering has?
Fits nice, looks sharp, but it will be a while before I actually get to try it. I'm guessing at least another month before the bike is back up and running. I did see Stead's unit, but decided on the fleabay one because it has adjustable friction and was plug-and-play without the need to use any of the old spring and piston parts. "OVER 150 SOLD WITH ALL GOOD FEEDBACK,SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE"
I hope in the end I'm just as happy as the rest of their customers.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #4717
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Fits nice, looks sharp, but it will be a while before I actually get to try it. I'm guessing at least another month before the bike is back up and running. I did see Stead's unit, but decided on the fleabay one because it has adjustable friction and was plug-and-play without the need to use any of the old spring and piston parts. "OVER 150 SOLD WITH ALL GOOD FEEDBACK,SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE"
I hope in the end I'm just as happy as the rest of their customers.
I see it has adjustable friction,but does it still click in on and off position with a positive detent feel ?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #4718
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
I see it has adjustable friction,but does it still click in on and off position with a positive detent feel ?
No, not positive feel like the KLX250 unit. It slides smoothly through the whole range, which I can see as a potential drawback to not knowing if it is fully closed. There is a non-adjustable version for a few bucks less, but I don't know if it has the positive detent feel.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #4719
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
No, not positive feel like the KLX250 unit. It slides smoothly through the whole range, which I can see as a potential drawback to not knowing if it is fully closed. There is a non-adjustable version for a few bucks less, but I don't know if it has the positive detent feel.
Actually, that should be fine, as that is how the stock unit works also.
I am considering this mod, I am going to have to throw my 10 gallon tank on and make sure I will be able to get to it.
Can you post a picture of it on your bike ? Also how many inchs does it stick out from the carburetor?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #4720
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
I am considering this mod, I am going to have to throw my 10 gallon tank on and make sure I will be able to get to it.
Can you post a picture of it on your bike ? Also how many inchs does it stick out from the carburetor?
Yes, I can do that. The other model they sell is a little shorter I believe.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #4721
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Clutch gasket cover question

I AM MAKING BY MYSELF A NEW GASKET COVER FOR THE CLUTCH SIDE.
THE QUESTION IS THE OIL RING AROUND THE OIL FILTER IS THINNER THAN MY GASKET SO I WILL HAVE A DROP IN THE OIL PRESSURE.
SO DO I HAVE THE WRONG OIL RING? OR MY GASKET IS TO THICK?
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #4722
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Not the "KLX" mod, but--I think the cable long enough to work with a large aftermarket tank:

While I have a stock tank on my '07, I went another route, but I think this Drag Specialties Harley cable is long enough for your application:

I cut off the knob stem, threaded it, and re-knobbed it, drilling a hole in the plastic switch cover for mounting as shown:

Ergonomically, knob doesn't interfere with any body parts while riding; and--setup has adjustable tension.

I replaced the plastic cap connecting the cable to the carb with a Stead Engineering metal one; however--with the straight-in (non-elbow) connection, and OEM plastic cap ought to work . . . lots easier to thread and to loosen, regardless.

No advocacy here; just another way to skin a cat for your consideration.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #4723
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
I AM MAKING BY MYSELF A NEW GASKET COVER FOR THE CLUTCH SIDE.
THE QUESTION IS THE OIL RING AROUND THE OIL FILTER IS THINNER THAN MY GASKET SO I WILL HAVE A DROP IN THE OIL PRESSURE.
SO DO I HAVE THE WRONG OIL RING? OR MY GASKET IS TO THICK?
Looks like the "oil ring" in your image is the O ring intended to fit in its groove in the OIL FILTER COVER, not externally on the oil filter housing as you have it shown.

Take a look at your oil filter cover. Find the circumferential groove, That's where the O ring goes, containing oil pressure when the oil filter cover is inserted into the case cover.

The case cover gasket thickness is of no consequence to a properly-installed oil filter O ring.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #4724
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Looks like the "oil ring" in your image is the O ring intended to fit in its groove in the OIL FILTER COVER, not externally on the oil filter housing as you have it shown.

Take a look at your oil filter cover. Find the circumferential groove, That's where the O ring goes, containing oil pressure when the oil filter cover is inserted into the case cover.

The case cover gasket thickness is of no consequence to a properly-installed oil filter O ring.
The oil filter ring shown in the picture goes between the cove case and the monoblock, not on the open side of the case, so with the width of the gastek there is a part (were my finger is) that will be lower than the gasket and will be a leack (inside of the engine, not on the outside) there.
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4725
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
The oil filter ring shown in the picture goes between the cove case and the monoblock, not on the open side of the case, so with the width of the gastek there is a part (were my finger is) that will be lower than the gasket and will be a leack (inside of the engine, not on the outside) there.
My comments were based on the premise we're talking KLR650; if not, I withdraw 'em!