Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #4756
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian42 View Post
i changed the fork oil to 10W before i left 8k miles ago. will be doing it again before heading south, i'll switch to belray. The seals are in good shape and i'm carrying spares so not touching those unless i have to. Was looking into the springs and maybe a fork brace. or the gold tech emulators and the fork brace. not sure which set up would be the best bang for the buck but i cant afford all three.
Honestly, the valving is not that bad for what it is. It does benefit from heavier oil. I used ATF and thought it worked really well, again, considering what it is (old school). Heavier springs would be nice, but you can also cut a piece of PVC pipe and give the spring a little pre-load to help it out. You'd be amazed at how effective this trick can be, and since you're using PVC pipe (which is used by major aftermarket suspension companies), you can cut it in differing lengths to see what effect suits you the best. I'd try this first, and then secondly a fork brace. I honestly think this is the best bang for the buck and will get you what you want out of it.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #4757
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
This particular model slides smoothly from open to closed and the little nut allows adjustment of the friction. There's no "detente" feeling at open or closed. It will stay in any partial-open position.

Stead Engineering has one too. I know nothing about how it operates. http://www.steadengineering.com/prod...2&categoryId=1

Ignorance duly pardoned - no worries
Perfect, thanks. The wife's DR350 has two detents, full and half choke. I'd much rather be able to control it better as the bike warms up.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #4758
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
electrical issues

I w2ent to start my '09 KLR to go to work tonight. It cranked twice...then...nothing. No lights, no neutral light, no tail lights, nothing. I'm thinking I blew a fuse, but won't have time to check until Monday (working 12 hour shifts tonight and tomorrow). I had the factory recall done on the wiring harness when I bought the bike. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for. Man, I hope I don't have to fart around finding a short...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #4759
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Could be both . . . short-circuit and consequent blown fuse.

Hope not!

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #4760
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Could be both . . . short-circuit and consequent blown fuse.

Hope not!

Kind of what I'm afraid of...
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #4761
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
dead battery?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #4762
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
dead battery?
Don't think so. It was too sudden and the battery is only 4 mos. old. It spun fine before it did what it did. I'll definately check it though.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #4763
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Gotcha, doesn't sound like battery then.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #4764
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
I w2ent to start my '09 KLR to go to work tonight. It cranked twice...then...nothing. No lights, no neutral light, no tail lights, nothing. I'm thinking I blew a fuse, but won't have time to check until Monday (working 12 hour shifts tonight and tomorrow). I had the factory recall done on the wiring harness when I bought the bike. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for. Man, I hope I don't have to fart around finding a short...

If the "upgraded" harness is not armored stem to stern and protected, a rub though will eventually get you. Even the little shitty wires behind the gauges-- they rub on the plastic on the back of the gauge pack--- many times it's the effing brown wire that is rubbed through.

The abrasion can be a bitch to find.

This guy shows a couple of the spots. See how he used split loom--- do that to the whole fricken harness. I have it two layers thick in the bad spots. Oh yeah, mine was upgraded too, and then it left me dead on the side of the trail off road at 17,000 miles (2009 KLR).

Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #4765
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
If the "upgraded" harness is not armored stem to stern and protected, a rub though will eventually get you. Even the little shitty wires behind the gauges-- they rub on the plastic on the back of the gauge pack--- many times it's the effing brown wire that is rubbed through.

The abrasion can be a bitch to find.

This guy shows a couple of the spots. See how he used split loom--- do that to the whole fricken harness. I have it two layers thick in the bad spots. Oh yeah, mine was upgraded too, and then it left me dead on the side of the trail off road at 17,000 miles (2009 KLR).

Thanks...I think. I'll go through it though. Guess it's time to buy tape...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #4766
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
I popped the main fuse on my 07 once. It was 2 years ago, never figured out why and it has never happened again...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #4767
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I popped the main fuse on my 07 once. It was 2 years ago, never figured out why and it has never happened again...
+1 - on my 08.

2 years ago I had just entered OK from TX and the bike died as I was going out of a small town. Had to strip the panniers, seat, tank etc. to check fuses under the seat( I have since relocated them) on the side of the road. Then checked the harness. All were OK. Then the main fuse, which I had forgotten about at the starter relay - it had blown. Put another in and now, some 25K later that fuse is still in there. Never found out why the other blade type, which are ususally more reliable than the glass tube ones, blew.

Soon after I got the bike in 7/07 I had the bike apart and noticed the possible chafe points and fixed them then and there long before they became the 'issue'.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #4768
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
I blew the main fuse on my 09 a few weeks back after reinstalling the battery. I replaced the fuse which there is a spare mounted by the starter and have not had any problems since.
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #4769
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Couple pics from when mine coasted to a stop off road in the backcountry of a military base. Tore it down to the bones and then it started raining. Nice.

( a 2009 with the "upgraded" harness.... )

The MP's kept me company while my chum rode back to my place and got my truck and a trailer.

Don't be like me..... armor your wiring harness and check your electrical connections before coasting to a stop

Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #4770
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Couple pics from when mine coasted to a stop off road in the backcountry of a military base. Tore it down to the bones and then it started raining. Nice.

( a 2009 with the "upgraded" harness.... )

The MP's kept me company while my chum rode back to my place and got my truck and a trailer.

Don't be like me..... armor your wiring harness and check your electrical connections before coasting to a stop

^^^^^^^ That is not torn down to the bones...

THIS, is torn down to the bones:

At least I didn't have to do it in the rain and certainly not on the side of the road!

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote