Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #4846
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjack View Post
What are some of the most important upgrades for highway use with a 1989?
Mostly maintenance related but the pre 96 engines you want to keep an eye on the stock Doo (I'd just upgrade and be done) and by 20K miles I'd upgrade the balancer sprockets to post 96 design. The earlier versions were multipiece designs that are/were well known to come apart with higher mileage. If you ride in colder weather and/or for short distances a Thermobob is a good upgrade.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #4847
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjack View Post
What are some of the most important upgrades for highway use with a 1989?
Better seat
Better windshield
Throttle lock
Good tires
Check/adjust steering head bearings
Good oil and a few pounds of air in the forks

That's on top of all the 'usual' KLR stuff.

hmmmm.... not much really.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #4848
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
And a 16-tooth counter-sprocket, maybe.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4849
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
I've had good luck by heating with a Mapp gas torch, then placing a chunk of
hard wood on the ding. I then hit the wood block with a 3-pound hammer. Just don't
strike the rim directly with a hammer! Usually when I finish, it's hard to tell where
the damage was... (oh yeah...first remove the wheel from the bike and then remove
the tire!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
1. Is it causing the bike to shake or behave like it is out of balance?

Assuming "No" then the KLR solution is a big ass rubber mallet. Congratulations on your new character mark!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Contact Woody's Wheel Works. They are a supporter here. Great people but more important great work. They fixed an rim for me and I couldn't even tell it was never bent.
While working on the wheel - check you spoke tension too. That is a part of regular PM that most neglect.
All good tip and thanks.

I guess as long as the spokes are still tight and the wobble is not too bad then I continue riding it in the short run?

Ron
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #4850
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How many miles is too many for an '08 KLR? I'm looking at one with with 20,000 miles on it, includes a centerstand and highway pegs (I would be getting the centerstand anyway) that looks like it was mostly ridden on the road. It is the first one I've looked at that shows no signs of being dropped or thrashed. It is a private seller, one owner, BUT, nothing has been done to fix the doohickey or the frame bolts, or the oil burning issue. It runs and sounds good, and I could not tell that it was burning oil. Seller wants $3250. Claims it has been well maintained, and the oil was new. Sounds a bit high for 20,000 miles, but this is AZ, and bike prices are higher here than many other places.
I agree with the others. I have 20K on my 09 and would buy another with 20K on it. The chain may need replacing by that mileage.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #4851
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,270
What air filter set up are you guys using? I'm using K&N and I'm not too happy with it. Pulled the carb today and was kinda surprised at how nasty it was inside.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #4852
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Tore my bike down because it's 19 degrees outside right now. 22 cent mod, oxford grips, measured and adjusted valves, replaced choke plunger plastic piece I broke, drilled air box and threw in some 1" uni filters in place of the L mod. The latter mostly because I'm bored and itching to ride.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4853
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
What air filter set up are you guys using? I'm using K&N and I'm not too happy with it. Pulled the carb today and was kinda surprised at how nasty it was inside.

Fido
Stock flows better than k&n on this filter, and Uni flows better than stock. Both do a good job at cleaning the air. You will need to source a stock filter cage and wing nut to go with it.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #4854
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
Stock flows better than k&n on this filter, and Uni flows better than stock. Both do a good job at cleaning the air. You will need to source a stock filter cage and wing nut to go with it.
picking a good air filter is not all about airflow with motorcycles. its about how well the filter seals and filters air. Personaly i like the no toil and uni filters. Either one you run it needs to be oiled well and use a filter seal grease between the filter and the airbox.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #4855
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,533
Quote:

Fido
Uni filter with a PC Racing Filterskins pre-filter
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #4856
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How many miles is too many for an '08 KLR? I'm looking at one with with 20,000 miles on it, includes a centerstand and highway pegs (I would be getting the centerstand anyway) that looks like it was mostly ridden on the road. It is the first one I've looked at that shows no signs of being dropped or thrashed. It is a private seller, one owner, BUT, nothing has been done to fix the doohickey or the frame bolts, or the oil burning issue. It runs and sounds good, and I could not tell that it was burning oil. Seller wants $3250. Claims it has been well maintained, and the oil was new. Sounds a bit high for 20,000 miles, but this is AZ, and bike prices are higher here than many other places.
Gee. You USAmericans have it good. $3250!!! At todays exchange rates that's about $AU3080....

Down here in Aus I bought an 08 KLR for $AU5300 (ie about $US5600 )a couple of months ago, and that is NORMAL, if not slightly better than normal....

it had just over 10,000 miles on it and no oil in the engine, but it does run well and it has some good basic farkles....
so no complaints about your price
oh yeah and we in australia don't have easy access to eagle mikes or 685 or 705s so in the US the KLR is an even better deal again!!!
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #4857
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Quote:

Fido
Most people on the forum seem to like the UNI filter. I am using the UNI filter also and give it a my recommendation but I think the stock filter has performed well. If I was given a choice between the UNI and stock, I would go with the UNI.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #4858
stuser
Putt putt putt

Quote:

Fido
what's wrong with the K&N air filter on the KLR????
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #4859
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
what's wrong with the K&N air filter on the KLR????

A lotta' the "performance" filters (not just K&N) are pretty notorious for not "filtering" a helluva' lot.

Probably not the best choice for a dualsport...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #4860
stuser
Putt putt putt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
A lotta' the "performance" filters (not just K&N) are pretty notorious for not "filtering" a helluva' lot.

Probably not the best choice for a dualsport...

Hmmm, interesting. Any actual comparisons across filters?

I just googled UNI filter and see that they look entirely different from the K&N that is currently on my bike, more a sponge than the cage type.