Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #4861
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Hmmm, interesting. Any actual comparisons across filters?...

I have no data. My comment was strictly based on personal experience (mine...and my buddies', that I have been witness to).

YMMV...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #4862
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I have no data. My comment was strictly based on personal experience (mine...and my buddies', that I have been witness to).

YMMV...

so... more dirt getting past the filter then?

So you are of the opinion that the UNI brand are better?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #4863
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
so... more dirt getting past the filter then?

So you are of the opinion that the UNI brand are better?

Me? I like the OEM filter.

However, as DD posted, there seems to be a lotta' folks who favor the UNI.

Six in one...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #4864
svenski
Eternally Grateful

Oddometer: 43
I admit it!

Okay, I admit it. I just bought a KLE. I promise it's just for use on the road. As a sort of penance ( and just for fun) I have a set of 606's coming for my 2005 KLR . "Different tools for different jobs." That's what I keep telling myself. How am I doing? Cheers
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #4865
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenski View Post
Okay, I admit it. I just bought a KLE. I promise it's just for use on the road. As a sort of penance ( and just for fun) I have a set of 606's coming for my 2005 KLR . "Different tools for different jobs." That's what I keep telling myself. How am I doing? Cheers
why would you buy a KLE just for the road.....???? ;)

I like the KLE... woulda bought one except for the small petrol tank and their relative rarity here so parts and farkles much less common than on the KLR..... enjoy the engine :)
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #4866
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenski View Post
What? No picture?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #4867
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
Stock flows better than k&n on this filter, and Uni flows better than stock. Both do a good job at cleaning the air. You will need to source a stock filter cage and wing nut to go with it.
I was successful in trading my K&N for a filter cage in the flea market. We both thought we got the better deal, as it should be.

IDRIDR screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 03:05 PM
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #4868
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Us long time desert folks learned long long time ago that K&N is not the way to go. If you contact K&N directly they will tell you to add their prefilter for dusty conditions. OEM or Uni work very well when properly oiled with filter oil. I like Maxima FFT brand.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #4869
svenski
Eternally Grateful

Oddometer: 43
I'll try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
What? No picture?

First attempt at doing this. Let's see what happens. Cheers
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #4870
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
A lotta' the "performance" filters (not just K&N) are pretty notorious for not "filtering" a helluva' lot.

Probably not the best choice for a dualsport...

I agree I am not a fan. Back in my ATV days I could see where a properly installed and oiled k&n would allow a fine layer of dust through. No I have no pictures or lab proof but I know what I saw. I also learned on my Bandit 1200 that k&n filters do not like the rain even with pre filters on..again YMMV but that is my humble opinion
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #4871
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Quote:
what's wrong with the K&N air filter on the KLR????
It will clog in dusty conditions and not let your bike run at all.
I have seen it happen twice, and both times it was out in the desert, right where you need your bike to run!

Foam filters will let dirt through when they get saturated with dirt, but at least your bike will still run.

I live in the same town as K&N, I'm a big fan of their products for many other applications, I just prefer UNI for my KLR.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #4872
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
What is the "deep hole" thing you are talking about, and how can you tell about it from the VIN?

I have never liked or used K&N filters. They will stop bugs and gravel, and maybe coarse sand, but not dust. And more air flow leans out the air/fuel mixture. I use either stock or UNI filters on my XT225, and soak them in engine oil. After a days desert riding, so much dirt will have caked onto the outside that it soaks up the oil, and falls off in chunks. But I have never seen dirt make it all the way through. The oil is what stops and holds the dirt, not the foam. I remove the filter, wash it out in gas, resoak it with oil, and put it back.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #4873
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
We don't know if your bike gets regular rigorous maintenance or if it's overdue for everything. It may be OK with checking valve gap, change oil, and have chain and sprockets that are not totally shot. Have the swingarm and linkage bearings ever been serviced? Are the wheel bearings 11 years old? I usually deal with fork seals only when they leak, but if those are 11 years old you may want to just replace them before you go. I will assume that modifications for comfort have been taken care of.

There are entire threads on what may or may not need to be done to a bike from thermobob to larger or smaller sprockets. Some people need many of them and others need none.
Thanks. That's a good list. I honestly am not sure of the previous maintenance of the bike, but I do know that some crazy adventurer rode it to Belize. It's seen quite a few kilometers. I just recently put a new sprocket on and checked the other one for wear. I'll probably need to replace the wheel bearings. I'm also confident my fork seals are good to go.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #4874
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
Dual Star

Hey KLR guy's anyone know what happened to Dual Star adventure motorcycle parts from Washington, i was on their website and the phone order phone is disconnected?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #4875
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Hey KLR guy's anyone know what happened to Dual Star adventure motorcycle parts from Washington, i was on their website and the phone order phone is disconnected?
I've never dealt with them, but their site hasn't been updated in over two years, and prior to that, they had a large number of complaints against them for orders that never shipped, or arrived MONTHS after being placed.