Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #4936
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,502
New bearings and seals for my shock linkage arm, that and the swingarm are hanging back on the bike. Now I just need to have my shock refilled with nitrogen and I can reassemble the rest of the rear end.

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #4937
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
New bearings and seals for my shock linkage arm, that and the swingarm are hanging back on the bike. Now I just need to have my shock refilled with nitrogen and I can reassemble the rest of the rear end.

HEAT..........and the freezer.........make that job alot easier.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #4938
oneblackdog
slowest of the slow

Oddometer: 175
spend up for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
I know it's been done to death, but new thoughts are always welcome....

My 08 KLR has been going through way too much oil.

The counter sprocket seal, and maybe gear selector seal, was leaking considerably, so both of these have been replaced and there is no more leaks.

However, the bike is still using oil. On recent rides I've been told by fellow riders that they can smell the oil as they follow.

I've been given advice that the "rings on 08" are a known problem.
It has also been suggested that the valve seals contribute to the problem.

I'd love to do a 685 or 705, but that is apparently way too expensive down here in Australia - shipping kills it.

I'm still new to bikes, so would like to know if someone does the valve clearances and seals, would it be a good time to do the rings as well????

The bike only has 20,000km on it.

I bought it third hand at 17,0000km from an owner who did his own (apparently inadequate) servicing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
G'day Stuser

I've just done my '08 (nearly back together - maybe this w/e....)

I went with the Wossner +2mm (they were all the same price) about $275 for kit + bore, plus head cleaning & valve grind for $200, plus new valve seals & shims, top & bottom gaskets plus cam chain adjuster gasket all from Mototech.com.au (parts diagrams and prices are on their website)

Mine was using up to 1 litre of oil in 500km of hi-way.

OBD
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #4939
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589
KLR for sale...........

People,

My father is selling his KLR 650. At the present moment this is all I know.............
  • It is the year before they changed body styles
  • It runs perfect
  • Low miles
  • New parts
  • New tires
  • When he bought it, he had Casey Cycle City in Newport News go through and flush, service ,and tune the whole bike.
  • He is asking $3,000.00
  • The bike is in Newport New, VA
I'll try and get some pics and more info later...........
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #4940
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
'08 oil burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
I know it's been done to death, but new thoughts are always welcome....

My 08 KLR has been going through way too much oil.

The counter sprocket seal, and maybe gear selector seal, was leaking considerably, so both of these have been replaced and there is no more leaks.

However, the bike is still using oil. On recent rides I've been told by fellow riders that they can smell the oil as they follow.

I've been given advice that the "rings on 08" are a known problem.
It has also been suggested that the valve seals contribute to the problem.

I'd love to do a 685 or 705, but that is apparently way too expensive down here in Australia - shipping kills it.

I'm still new to bikes, so would like to know if someone does the valve clearances and seals, would it be a good time to do the rings as well????

The bike only has 20,000km on it.

I bought it third hand at 17,0000km from an owner who did his own (apparently inadequate) servicing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
My thoughts...

While it's known that the '08 piston ring design change led to increased oil consumption for many people, how the bike is used (any year KLR really) could be a significant contributor to the oil consumption issue. Running at higher cruising speeds for long distances equates to higher sustained piston speeds - hard on the rings. Experts such as Eagle Mike and Watt-man think that liners may be distorting due to the way the stock OEM cooling system operates (if so, that's good reason I think to do the Thermo-Bob mod) - cylinder bores that distort out-of-round will contribute to poor piston ring sealing too.

I'm just saying that this is a bit more complex issue than just blaming Kawasaki for the design of the '08 pistons. Should KLRs really be driven 70+ mph for long distances? I don't believe they were really designed for that.

My '92 has become an oil burner. I have a sidecar on mine, and really have to flog my motor hard - I dropped to a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, and immediately noticed an increase in oil consumption. I'm doing the 685 kit in spring... have a spare '96 cylinder already bored/honed/piston fitted, just waiting for warmer weather to do it.

If I was in your position, I'd go for a 685 kit or an aftermarket 1 size over piston (Wossner for example).

Edit: I did the Thermo-Bob mod too already BTW.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 07:57 AM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #4941
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
My thoughts...
I'm just saying that this is a bit more complex issue than just blaming Kawasaki for the design of the '08 pistons. Should KLRs really be driven 70+ mph for long distances? I don't believe they were really designed for that.
Kawasaki admits blame for the oil consumption, so YES blame Kawasaki. I have an '07 and I drive it for hours on end at 75 mph. They are built for that. I only check my oil when I change it @ 2000 miles.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #4942
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
My thoughts...

While it's known that the '08 piston ring design change led to increased oil consumption for many people, how the bike is used (any year KLR really) could be a significant contributor to the oil consumption issue. Running at higher cruising speeds for long distances equates to higher sustained piston speeds - hard on the rings. Experts such as Eagle Mike and Watt-man think that liners may be distorting due to the way the stock OEM cooling system operates (if so, that's good reason I think to do the Thermo-Bob mod) - cylinder bores that distort out-of-round will contribute to poor piston ring sealing too.

My '92 has become an oil burner. I have a sidecar on mine, and really have to flog my motor hard - I dropped to a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, and immediately noticed an increase in oil consumption. I'm doing the 685 kit in spring... have a spare '96 cylinder already bored/honed/piston fitted, just waiting for warmer weather to do it.

If I was in your position, I'd go for a 685 kit or an aftermarket 1 size over piston (Wossner for example).

Edit: I did the Thermo-Bob mod too already BTW.
I disagree that the klr was not designed to run at highway speeds considering the gearing and target market for this bike. There is no reason why a klr should not run 70 mph all day without burning significant oil. To accept anything else is just making excuses for a poor design IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #4943
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
I disagree that the klr was not designed to run at highway speeds considering the gearing and target market for this bike. There is no reason why a klr should not run 70 mph all day without burning significant oil. To accept anything else is just making excuses for a poor design IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Interesting feedback! Question then - why do such a significant number of KLRs become oil burners?

It seems that a few of you refuse to believe that higher piston speeds, and the increased stress on the rings, is to blame, so why do you think it occurs?

EDIT - no argument it shouldn't be happening.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 04:31 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #4944
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

All of these KLR's are over 20,000 miles and none burn oil, just the '08. Kawasaki fixed the '08 oil burning problem under warranty.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #4945
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
All of these KLR's are over 20,000 miles and none burn oil, just the '08. Kawasaki fixed the '08 oil burning problem under warranty.
Good for you guys - guess there isn't a problem then! Seriously, the oil burning issue isn't just confined to the '08 model year. You didn't answer the question - why do YOU think the problem is occurring? ...if it's not due to higher piston speeds? It's pretty clearly understood by automotive engineers that there are consequences and limits to running higher rpms. The KLR piston ain't small - them's Harley sized slugs!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4946
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
I think most people will agree that at high speeds a lot of thumpers will burn some oil.

The issue is that many of the 2008's burn an excessive amount of oil, like a quart in 500 miles. Very few years before do that, and most of the post 2008's don't do that.

I guess my question to you would be why do YOU think the 2008's were so much worse than the years before and after?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #4947
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Most of the 35K miles on my GenI engine are at speeds of 80+ mph. Oil level is the same at every 2000 mile oil change interval.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #4948
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Bad run on the manufacture of the cylinder- piston- rings of the '08 model.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4949
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackdog View Post
G'day Stuser

I've just done my '08 (nearly back together - maybe this w/e....)

I went with the Wossner +2mm (they were all the same price) about $275 for kit + bore, plus head cleaning & valve grind for $200, plus new valve seals & shims, top & bottom gaskets plus cam chain adjuster gasket all from Mototech.com.au (parts diagrams and prices are on their website)

Mine was using up to 1 litre of oil in 500km of hi-way.

OBD
Yeah mine's using that much sometimes.... bah

Did you also get the Wossner piston kit from Mototech? or?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4950
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Quote:
Good for you guys - guess there isn't a problem then! Seriously, the oil burning issue isn't just confined to the '08 model year. You didn't answer the question - why do YOU think the problem is occurring? ...if it's not due to higher piston speeds? It's pretty clearly understood by automotive engineers that there are consequences and limits to running higher rpms. The KLR piston ain't small - them's Harley sized slugs!
We don't have that problem so I can't tell you why. I've never heard of the oil burning problem until the '08 model. My brothers Barbie does not burn/consume oil.