Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5266
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
If I wanted to sell the cylinder that was on my 08 before I switched to one with the 685 bore would it be better for me to spend the cash to bore that one out before I sell it? I see sheet loads of them on flea bay that are stock but none that are bored out. Would it be harder to get rid of if I did bore it? My reasoning is that after I took it of my bike I placed it in a plastic tub in my shed and we had a flood. Some moisture got in and there was a little rust inside the sleeve. I scotch brighted the cylinder and need to hone a cross hatch back into it now. I'm kind of paranoid that it wouldn't be as good as I want it to be before I sell it to someone hence my thoughts to bore it out. Sorry for the rambling.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #5267
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Question Pulling a trailer....possible, practical or not so much???

New guy with no KLR yet. Had a trailer on a touring bike before. I liked it and it pulled great with no problems. Now I'm wanting to do some ADV type riding on a KLR and was wondering the pros and cons of a trailer. Seen some pics of the bikes loaded to the max and I'm thinking a tralier would prevent that as long as you load the wagon judiciously. I don't think I care for the one wheel trailer as they appear to put too much unsprung weight on the bike. Does anyone make a hitch for the KLR? I did see some Bushtec trailers that were pretty small and appeared to be very light. Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #5268
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
You thinking for use in the gravel as well? I know you said you don't care for them, but this guy kept quite a pace during last year's Roaming Rally.

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5269
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
links

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Just saw this in the flea market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865216

Not sure they will fit the 2003, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
Older links are different from the 2008 and up links. I won't say they won't fit, but they won't work correctly.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #5270
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Just saw this in the flea market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865216

Not sure they will fit the 2003, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
Thanks for that I talked to him and we agreed that they were different from 2013 and 2003
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #5271
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349

since my KLR has been sitting in my garage in this state for about a month, I decided I better get moving on getting it back up to snuff soon.

Since it is already tore this far down I figured I might as well check the valves, try out this Exhaust cam advance that EM found. I also ordered EM's KLX jet kit, how does he ship things so dang fast

Any how time to go turn on the furnace...looks like a garage weekend is in order
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #5272
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
. . . Now I'm wanting to do some ADV type riding on a KLR and was wondering the pros and cons of a trailer.

. . .I don't think I care for the one wheel trailer as they appear to put too much unsprung weight on the bike.

. . .Any thoughts on the matter?
I really like how a motorcycle needs only a single track on a bad road. With a 4-wheeler you're looking for 2 tracks that are navigable. With a trailer, 3. The smallest roads are often the most fun but often have fields of potholes where needing only 1 track is a big advantage.

You'll notice that single-wheel trailers all hitch to the axle and don't add to the weight on the bike's shock. Most are also sprung separately so the extra weight on the rear wheel is not entirely unsprung weight but not entirely sprung either.

And those are my thoughts.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #5273
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Wanting to get my first KLR when I return to the US. The bike in post #5256 I think has what appears to be an 18 or 19" tire up front. What's the reason for doing that? My first few ventures on the KLR when I get it will be mostly on road and I'm considering putting street tires on it for that. Does that change the handling much or ride switching to the smaller diameter tire? No problems investing in other rims but I'm looking for a reason why I would want to.
Its a 17/17. Why?...I wanted something different. A better combo would be 17/19 as its a nice compromise for what a KLR would be used for and far better tire selections.

17's greatly improve handling on the street. No issues scrapping pegs but pretty easy to get the frame all twisted up. If you are getting a GenI first improvement should be front brakes. I'm running a 320 rotor, SS lines and CBR1000RR Radial mstr. Stock setup is frankly dangerously ineffective. My stock GenII is better but nothing to write home about.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #5274
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
If I wanted to sell the cylinder that was on my 08 before I switched to one with the 685 bore would it be better for me to spend the cash to bore that one out before I sell it? I see sheet loads of them on flea bay that are stock but none that are bored out. Would it be harder to get rid of if I did bore it? My reasoning is that after I took it of my bike I placed it in a plastic tub in my shed and we had a flood. Some moisture got in and there was a little rust inside the sleeve. I scotch brighted the cylinder and need to hone a cross hatch back into it now. I'm kind of paranoid that it wouldn't be as good as I want it to be before I sell it to someone hence my thoughts to bore it out. Sorry for the rambling.
The person who does my bores ALWAYS wants the new piston in hand before he bores the cylinder. I'd sell it as is...clean it up and maybe have a local machine shop do some measurements and verify the cylinder sleeve is good for a rebore. Peace of mind for you and the buyer.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #5275
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
i also suffer from freak paranoia after doing anything major mechanically. always over analyze every single little sound thinking i F'd it up!

I think in general though that the klr pre-doo sounded like a rock crusher (not in motion) now post doo it sure does sound like a souped up sewing machine. but it is so much smoother.[/QUOTE]

LMAO. I've never heard a KLR refered to as a 'souped up sewing machine'. You just made my day;)lol I'm hoping I can get rid of a strange 'springy/sizzling' noise from the lefthand cover by doing to doo-hickey upgrade as well. Dealership tore it down and couldn't find anything. I mentioned to them all the issues with the doo and they claim the 2nd gens don't have any issues. I think they're trying to cover up Kawasaki's failures myself. Anywho, that's my two cents
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #5276
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
New guy with no KLR yet. Had a trailer on a touring bike before. I liked it and it pulled great with no problems. Now I'm wanting to do some ADV type riding on a KLR and was wondering the pros and cons of a trailer. Seen some pics of the bikes loaded to the max and I'm thinking a tralier would prevent that as long as you load the wagon judiciously. I don't think I care for the one wheel trailer as they appear to put too much unsprung weight on the bike. Does anyone make a hitch for the KLR? I did see some Bushtec trailers that were pretty small and appeared to be very light. Any thoughts on the matter?
.. look up Moto-Mule .. there's a thread here on ADV as well .. developed and built by a fellow ADV inmate .. specifically designed for dual sporting ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #5277
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Very. KLR650 is the best bike ever made. Ever. Don't need to try other bikes, KLR650 is teh bestest.
True dat brother. True dat.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #5278
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
moto mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rode2Nowhere View Post
You thinking for use in the gravel as well? I know you said you don't care for them, but this guy kept quite a pace during last year's Roaming Rally.

thats me last year. the trailer is great for hauling gear. it will allow you to haul more gear and not overload the suspension. I big factor for a KLR. We maintained an average speed of 50km/h on Sat on a variety of gravel roads, trails etc. since the load is down low you can throw the bike around with less effort. the suspension of the trailer was great. you have to keep in mind its back there cuase its easy to forget. the only concern is hard breaking causing the bike to jackknife but it hasn't happend yet.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #5279
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
thats me last year.

That's me in the light blue shirt over your rear fender, and my (former) DR in the top left. We met briefly.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #5280
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
What do you run in the forks? I'm reading that you have to balance anything you do to the rear with something matching to the front...
I run stock springs on the front. I have played with oil wt and seem to like 10wt best. Plan is to go with the progressive shock and front springs in the future. Only so much you can do with the stock set-up.