Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #5446
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Finished drilling for the a drill thru subfarame upgrade on my 04 last night and found my holes weren't completely in alignment and I ended up cutting through the 'solid' piece that goes thru the frame (I can see the bolt in the center tube). Also ended up having to egg one side out to get the holes to align. Haven't read about anyone else doing this but I can't imagine I'm the first. Should have just stuck with going to stronger bolts. In the end I think it will probably still be stronger than stock and it should all tighten up nicely. Worst case, I'll add a few welds if it loosens up, but it should be fine.

Moral of the story, don't use a cheap drill that lacks torque. I believe the main reason my holes got off center was due to the drill binding up (and I wasn't going to fast and was using oil, it was just a crap drill). Live and learn...
You're not the only two.
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #5447
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,792
I beleive they will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Does anyone know if Gen II side panels will fit on a Gen I bike?

Finding it easier to find Gen II panels in good shape.

Thank you!
The mounting points appear to be the same, I have a 2009 and a 1990. I'll have the panels off of both tommorrow and check it out for you and post up what I find out tommorrow evening. Also, Velocityking.com sells used bike parts pretty reasonable. I've ordered from them once and will use them again. I purchased a complete hose set from them for a 2008 KLR on flea-bay, had it the next day. they're on the east coast. I was and am very happy with them and will use them again. Not a plug, just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #5448
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Velocityking huh? Gotta favorite them! Interested to see if the panels are interchangeable... Didn't think the subframe had changed but was wondering about forward mount by the tank... Also, new +08 panels cost an extra 35 bucks....
Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #5449
redog1
KLR650-2009

Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Velocityking huh? Gotta favorite them! Interested to see if the panels are interchangeable... Didn't think the subframe had changed but was wondering about forward mount by the tank... Also, new +08 panels cost an extra 35 bucks....
Gen II plastices are pricey. I need all new right side plastics for my '09. Only one replaced so far has been the hand gaurd. Velocity king had a right side cover for $40.00.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #5450
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Wow, that's a great deal! That's 60 bucks less than a new one... I think I will do some surfing over there just to check it out. Maybe they have a seat pan.....
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #5451
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Don't think they will....

Keep an eye out over at KLRworld they have a good classified section and you might find someone parting one out.....

I myself would like to find a pair of nice black ones.....
Looking for black ones myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Different part #s and prices on www.cheapcycleparts.com so I imagine not. From my recollection they look a bit different too. That site has OEM parts though. Side panels aren't very cheap, 65.00...
OEM Part #s often change from year to year, so I don't think that's a good place to look. On my old Yamaha, the EXACT fender in the same color had 4 wildly different part numbers for 4 different years. Some sites even had 4 different prices for them. Pretty crazy.

Gen I and Gen II are definitely different parts, but they look close enough that they may exchange. If not, I might just run panel less, just running an IMS tank, hacked up rear fender, acerbis front fender (I think the same one you have) and WWW fairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
The mounting points appear to be the same, I have a 2009 and a 1990. I'll have the panels off of both tommorrow and check it out for you and post up what I find out tommorrow evening.
Excellent, thank you! Thanks for the tip about VelocityKing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #5452
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Anyone know if a DR650 engine will fit in a KLR frame without too much cutting and welding.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #5453
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Looking for black ones myself.

OEM Part #s often change from year to year, so I don't think that's a good place to look. On my old Yamaha, the EXACT fender in the same color had 4 wildly different part numbers for 4 different years. Some sites even had 4 different prices for them. Pretty crazy.

Gen I and Gen II are definitely different parts, but they look close enough that they may exchange. If not, I might just run panel less, just running an IMS tank, hacked up rear fender, acerbis front fender (I think the same one you have) and WWW fairing.

Excellent, thank you! Thanks for the tip about VelocityKing.
Its been a while since I tried but I'm pretty sure you'll need to swap out the subframe to run the GenII side panels on the GenI. I know you can swap the rear rack/fender with no issues.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5454
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Anyone know if a DR650 engine will fit in a KLR frame without too much cutting and welding.
Probably no one is going to be able to respond from experience, but anything can be done. More advantageous would be one of the current attempts to install a Versys motor in the KLR frame. This has been done but I guess your looking for a lighter bike and not heavier. I don't think you'll save enough with a DR motor to notice the difference even if the factory did it. Your more able to lose weight through after market parts like exhaust, or KLX forks and front wheel. Perhaps an IMS tank and removal of fairing, but that would probably be going the wrong way for your goal of making a lighter street oriented dualsport.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #5455
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,497
Got out for a quick shakedown run today after all my winter maintenance and a few mods. I will have to say adding the KLX needle and doing the Timing advance had a subtle impact on mid range....of course I hadn't ridden it in over 3 months so it is hard to say for certain. But either way it seemed to run strong, ride well and hold together...what else can one ask of a KLR. Headed out tomorrow with an old friend and new KLR owner to do a little riding..My riding "season" has begun

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #5456
redog1
KLR650-2009

Bummer, they're not interchangeable...

Quote:
The mounting points appear to be the same, I have a 2009 and a 1990. I'll have the panels off of both tommorrow and check it out for you and post up what I find out tommorrow evening. Also, Velocityking.com sells used bike parts pretty reasonable. I've ordered from them once and will use them again. I purchased a complete hose set from them for a 2008 KLR on flea-bay, had it the next day. they're on the east coast. I was and am very happy with them and will use them again. Not a plug, just my opinion.
Two things, the rack on the Gen1 interferes and the rear mounting hole is a little further forward on the Gen1 about an inch or so. The other 2 mounting points seem to be the same.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #5457
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Two things, the rack on the Gen1 interferes and the rear mounting hole is a little further forward on the Gen1 about an inch or so. The other 2 mounting points seem to be the same.
Darn, thank you very much for the information though, that helps.

I think I'll run panel less until I can get some good clean panels.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #5458
redog1
KLR650-2009

Talking NAKED bike...

Quote:
Darn, thank you very much for the information though, that helps.

I think I'll run panel less until I can get some good clean panels.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #5459
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Charging system question?

I have a stock 2006 an was wondering if the stator can handle a load such as a set of grip heaters and a pair of standard 65watt driving lights for an extended amount of time day a few hours. And what is the wattage on the stock stator?
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #5460
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
I have a stock 2006 an was wondering if the stator can handle a load such as a set of grip heaters and a pair of standard 65watt driving lights for an extended amount of time day a few hours. And what is the wattage on the stock stator?
Stock, 14 volts @ 14 amps @ 4000 rpm; comes out to 196 watts.

My Generation 1 alternator wouldn't keep up with heated jacket liner and gloves; I installed a Race Tech 280-watt stator, and . . . no more electrical power problems!

That said, don't know if your grip heaters and driving lights would draw down your battery or not; maybe by power management (shutting down the auxiliary electrics some time before you kill the engine), you won't have to bump-start your KLR.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote