Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #5746
flyaway
chwelve

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPNW View Post
I managed to strip out my water pump cover drain screw so am in need of a new water pump cover. Anyone have the part and are willing to sell it??
Another temporary or maybe permanent option would be a rubber well nut.
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #5747
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 376
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallyhip View Post
I wish the shop were mine. It's MotoMethod in Vancouver. For $100/year, you can use their tools, lifts and advice for $25/hr. You also get a t-shirt and free tire changes (wheels off the bike, $20 if they take them off). HIGHLY recommended.
Thats a pretty cool deal.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #5748
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
$2,800 bucks

I thought the guy was going to cry, J/K (he's a great dude that had become attached to his bike for the last three years), but he has a new BMW GS800 to console him. The KLR does have 28k miles but it has been well cared for. The other nearby bikes that I was going to look at next had some paperwork issues like missing Washington title and another 2008 with a reconstructed title. So a 2nd owner 2006 model that has been pampered for the last three years was, I feel, a good deal.

Oh and I did get the stock exhaust and the original length dogbones. Oh and he threw in a tail bag that fits real well.

Congrats!!! I gave 2600.00 for a 99 with 1300 (correct..hundred, not thousand) miles on it last year and drove nearly 250 miles in one direction to pick it up. I have not regretted it. Was an unfortunate situation that created it sitting for so long, but the guy that was selling it was the real deal and had gone thru the carb, put new tires on it, and had it ready to go. years dont' hurt one if it has been taken care of. my pig has 7200 on it now. not a day's trouble. Enjoy and ride safe
Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #5749
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
I managed to strip out my water pump cover drain screw so am in need of a new water pump cover. Anyone have the part and are willing to sell it??
Insert a helicoil or tap out the next biggest thread and get that size of nut for it. A lot cheaper and quicker than getting a complete cover. If carefull you might not have to even remove the cover and save on gaskets and seals .
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #5750
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Go up a size... Helicoils like to leak. Fought a leak on a cylinder head from that.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #5751
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
I have one. Pm me an address and I will mail it tomorrow

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #5752
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
Noticed my throttle sticking today. Stays where it is when you let go.
I removed the throttle tube from the throttle assembly.
The carb goes from full open to closed throttle with plenty of spring tenstion to snap it closed. Cables are fine, grip isn't rubbing on the throttle assembly, grip isn't pushed on to far, rubbing on end of bar.

the tube itself is tight on the bar.
Quoting myself, but figured I should follow up with the solution.

I removed the grip+throttle tube and checked the bar for round with a vernier caliper.
I have a brass rod/drift about the same diameter as the bar (fit in the tub much like the bar...kind of grabby/tight) so I wrapped a layer of electrical tape on it for a couple thou extra and I put the put grip+throttle tube in the vegetable steamer after supper tonight for 15 minutes to soften.
Once the tube was hot / softer, I sprayed the taped rod with white lithium grease and shoved it into the tube (it was tight) and let it cool.
Once cool, I adjusted a large adjustable wrench to the diam of the rod and used it to tap the throttle tube off.
I put the throttle tube on the bar and it spun like a roulette table.
I reattached the tube to the throttle assembly and buttoned it all up and now the throttle snaps closed with authority.

Paul
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #5753
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Quoting myself, but figured I should follow up with the solution.

I removed the grip+throttle tube and checked the bar for round with a vernier caliper.
I have a brass rod/drift about the same diameter as the bar (fit in the tub much like the bar...kind of grabby/tight) so I wrapped a layer of electrical tape on it for a couple thou extra and I put the put grip+throttle tube in the vegetable steamer after supper tonight for 15 minutes to soften.
Once the tube was hot / softer, I sprayed the taped rod with white lithium grease and shoved it into the tube (it was tight) and let it cool.
Once cool, I adjusted a large adjustable wrench to the diam of the rod and used it to tap the throttle tube off.
I put the throttle tube on the bar and it spun like a roulette table.
I reattached the tube to the throttle assembly and buttoned it all up and now the throttle snaps closed with authority.

Paul

So what you are not telling us is of the cause. Probably a serious pucker moment in which you distorted the tube in your 'death grip'?
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #5754
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Good thought process and ingenuity.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #5755
Keating
pre-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
So what you are not telling us is of the cause. Probably a serious pucker moment in which you distorted the tube in your 'death grip'?
Bought the bike last week. New to me. Brought it home in the truck and haven't even got insurance and plates yet, so I haven't even ridden it.
The grips are brand new. I'm guessing the shop or PO may have used heat to get the old grips off and distorted the cheesy plastic tube?

It came "saftied/certified" (provincial government vehicle inspection for licensing) from a dealer, so I could have probably brought the bike back and made them fix it.

I don't remember it sticking when I picked it up, but it was in a warm shop, and I didn't explicitly check for it. Maybe it shrank with the cold in my garage.

Regardless...I think it's "fixed".
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #5756
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Bought the bike last week. New to me. Brought it home in the truck and haven't even got insurance and plates yet, so I haven't even ridden it.
The grips are brand new. I'm guessing the shop or PO may have used heat to get the old grips off and distorted the cheesy plastic tube?

It came "saftied/certified" (provincial government vehicle inspection for licensing) from a dealer, so I could have probably brought the bike back and made them fix it.

I don't remember it sticking when I picked it up, but it was in a warm shop, and I didn't explicitly check for it. Maybe it shrank with the cold in my garage.

Regardless...I think it's "fixed".
You can blame a lot on "cold weather shrinkage"
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #5757
Keating
pre-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
You can blame a lot on "cold weather shrinkage"
Too true.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #5758
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,627
spring is good

[IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/album
I see the world through KLR eyes

8lives screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 10:57 AM Reason: learning how to do this
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #5759
2wheelgypsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
ouch, I'm new here and all.... but I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in the gears and say you paid way too much for that KLR. I'm sure it runs great. Year model too old and miles way too high for the price. I bought a 2004 xrl650 with 4000 miles for 2300 and a 2005 dr65o with 5000 miles for 2500. Correct me if I'm wrong here fellas. Either way enjoy the bike. If you don't thrash her too bad she might give you 10000 more miles.
2wheelgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #5760
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
You can stand corrected. Year doesn't mean much if the mileage is true. It concerns me a bit that in 1200 miles it doesn't have the stock tires but there could be lots of reasons for that. That price is great for a pristine bike....