Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #601
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Weld it shut. Prevents excess consumption.
Also prevents over-filling. I heard it is CARB approved.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #602
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Weld it shut. Prevents excess consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Also prevents over-filling. I heard it is CARB approved.

...and provides better security than that chinchy, little lock on the OEM cap.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #603
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,609
I think we-all got a thread here. Gonna stick me some magnets on the fuel line, epoxy the filler cap shut, and make ready for the second coming. In the mean time, I've been stocking up on canned goods and shotgun shells. Who's with me?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #604
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
...Who's with me?

I'm in...

...just let me grab my bail-out bag.

Anyone got any extra 5.56?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #605
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammason View Post
Check out this pic and I'll try to describe the kit - the instructions were OK, but no pictures EXCEPT of the extension and the barb on the top facing forward. http://procycle.us/images/bikepages/...statbypass.jpg

OK, so the block with the bypass hole - the 90 degree barb attaches to it. You remove the existing thermostat and replace with the supplied big-ole O-ring,Then the extension block, then put in the supplied thermostat into the extension block (or original one, the original will be a spare for me), then attach the housing with the longer allen bolts supplied. So the barb is on the top of the block facing forward. A T fitting is inserted about 3" or directly behind the frame on the hose at the bottom of the radiator. The blue hose (the one supplied in the kit) goes from the barb to this T fitting.

Very easy to do - now I just gotta burp the system to ensure I've got all the air out.

And yes, the extension block goes against the engine, then the Thermostat. To me, it was a very cool way to accomplish the same thing as the T-Bob (hopefully) without the extra housing. In many ways I feel bad because of the time & effort that went into the TBob, then I go and buy the knockoff version, which I could find no info on. It makes sense though, to my limited mechanical mind, and I happened to be there getting some other stuff. I stared at that picture a long time before I finally saw the way it could work. The way I see it is everything evolves and refines. Time will tell on this one...

So, I'm sorry Watt-man for not buying your setup - and a huge THANK YOU for identifying this and coming up with a solution.
Thanks for being our collective guinea pig! I have a couple of questions....

- Since it replaces the stock 160 thermostat with a 180 does the fan now run all the time?
- What is your overall impression of the Procycle unit?

Thermostat Bypass

KLR650 '87-'11

$109.95
Our very own version of the popular thermostat bypass for the KLR. Gives faster warm up and more constant engine temperatures. Eliminates the wildly fluctuating engine temperature gauge. A more controlled constant temperature is easier on your piston and cylinder and may prevent or reduce oil consumption. We use a 180 degree thermostat instead of the stock (too cold) 160 degree unit. Warmer coolant temperature promotes better fuel vaporization and can increase fuel economy.
Our bypass system mounts the new thermostat in a small billet extension housing right where the stock thermostat is now. There is no bulky external housing to hang off the motor. The bypass hose tees in to the lower radiator hose using a length of quality high temperature silicone hose. It all makes for a clean nearly stock looking installation.
New product - limited availability

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #606
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
I think we-all got a thread here. Gonna stick me some magnets on the fuel line, epoxy the filler cap shut, and make ready for the second coming. In the mean time, I've been stocking up on canned goods and shotgun shells. Who's with me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I'm in...

...just let me grab my bail-out bag.

Anyone got any extra 5.56?...

.. yessir .. zombies .. rampaging yuppies .. gen-Xers hopped up on meth .. commies .. knuckleheads (not the Harley variety) .. bangers .. hangers .. fools .. tools .. morons .. morans .. whatever ..

.. we're good here .. the KLR post-apocalyptic-survival-swissarmyknife-doitallbike was the last part of the puzzle .. ROFL ..

.. good times ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #607
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Looking forward to the review of this .. so tempting to get it and, with the stock t-stat, put a ball valve in the hose and use if for cold-weather riding ..

.. not to re-start the whole temp-thing .. but I know my KLR takes (seemingly) forever to get up to temp when it's in the 30's (F) .. it's like riding my '74 SuperBeetle .. waiting for it to come up to temp before taking off .. just my Beetle is air-cooled .. lol ..

.. carry on .. my apologies for the interruption ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post

- Since it replaces the stock 160 thermostat with a 180 does the fan now run all the time?

Thermostat Bypass

KLR650 '87-'11

$109.95
Our very own version of the popular thermostat bypass for the KLR. Gives faster warm up and more constant engine temperatures. Eliminates the wildly fluctuating engine temperature gauge. A more controlled constant temperature is easier on your piston and cylinder and may prevent or reduce oil consumption. We use a 180 degree thermostat instead of the stock (too cold) 160 degree unit. Warmer coolant temperature promotes better fuel vaporization and can increase fuel economy.
Our bypass system mounts the new thermostat in a small billet extension housing right where the stock thermostat is now. There is no bulky external housing to hang off the motor. The bypass hose tees in to the lower radiator hose using a length of quality high temperature silicone hose. It all makes for a clean nearly stock looking installation.
New product - limited availability
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #608
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
The only comments I have about T stats is this: Procycle is a well known and respected company in the DR650 world. I used to own one, so I'm familiar with them by reputation only.

Secondly, the stock T stat looks like the same sized unit that Honda (yes, I uttered the dreaded "H" word) uses on the XR650R, which is an external unit also used on other models. So, sourcing different temperature type is probably easy once you know the secret.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #609
Canuck1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
The only comments I have about T stats is this: Procycle is a well known and respected company in the DR650 world. I used to own one, so I'm familiar with them by reputation only.

Secondly, the stock T stat looks like the same sized unit that Honda (yes, I uttered the dreaded "H" word) uses on the XR650R, which is an external unit also used on other models. So, sourcing different temperature type is probably easy once you know the secret.
Great information. As for the stat, looks the same as the stock, just a different temperature. Don't think sourcing will be an issue. If it was, they would be selling the stats as additional items.

The main benefit is the fact you can run a 160 stat if you wish. It won't warm up any quicker, but will regulate better because of the bypass. If you want to warm up quicker than stock, pop in the 180. I am in the camp that believes the 195 is too hot for hot weather riding so to have the option to switch out the stats is a huge bonus. Sounds like ProCycle may have the same thought process.
Canuck1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #610
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. good poop ..

.. taking notes .. keep it coming .. all good info here ..

.. edit .. oh yeah, my apologies Yoko .. you can blame me for continuing this .. sorry man ..
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #611
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I like the idea of a ball valve in that bypass hose.....might be the perfect solution to run from stock to modified system!!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #612
Canuck1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I like the idea of a ball valve in that bypass hose.....might be the perfect solution to run from stock to modified system!!
Hmmmmm.....feel a winter project coming on. Never did install my temp probe for my Trail Tech.....

Willys...if you order one let me know. It is $36 to ship to Canada, or $39 for 2. Could split the shipping charges.
Canuck1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #613
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post

My initial impression is it is a nice setup, well thought out and engineered on the coattails of Watt-Man, all hardware is top notch (no burrs on extension block, etc.). My buddy has a DR and told me that procycle is great, and I live about an hour away from them, so I checked out their website and went for a visit - they are some nice folks and Carl seems like a great guy. They've been running this setup on their bikes for a while now, testing it out. The install went very smoothly and it looks clean on the bike. Oh, Carl at Procycle will be glad to talk with anyone about this (of course).

Other than that, I don't have much more information. I just installed it and it's dumping outside, so I'm not going for a ride anytime soon - I live in the PNW on the coast. The fan rarely comes on because it will occasionally get to 75 around here, during summer, but I'll be watching closely.

My overall impression is still forming cause I haven't ridden with it for enough miles watching the temp gauge, etc. I probably won't be able to make that determination until next fall.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #614
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Wow, I can see where that would be the best of both worlds. Good Idea!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #615
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I like the 1 inch longer shift lever for the same price as reg. size...wish I discovered that before I grinded dn my left aftermarket foot peg.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote