Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #6151
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
I'm 5'5" short,I look like a drunk getting on and off of my KLR,ask the last cop who came over to me out of nowhere and ran through the course cause he had no idea how I ride the bike,things got very ugly before he let me go,it was kinda weird but ya us shorties find a way."look can he even touch the ground on that thing"?
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #6152
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Interesting. What about a fully-loaded adventure-ready KLR? How does that work for the spiny technique?
I guess what is a fully loaded adventure ready KLR really is...? I've spun mine with loaded saddle bags and duffle bag on tail. Does that count? lol. I did the spin with my FJR and Aprilia Futura but didn't do it with my C14 or K1200LT or for that matter my Valkyrie or Road King lol. Sport bikes are the easiest/best to spin for a heavier bike.
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #6153
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I have a 36" inseam so getting on/off is never a concern, however, side stand is more than capable. A common thing for me to do is balance the entire bike on the side stand and spin the bike around. Been doing that with nearly all my bikes my whole riding life. Just did it with my Triumph 675 this afternoon....
aw man....i thought i invented that spin thing.. i do it every day on the ole pig. get parked in..no problem give her a spin. run out of trail..give her a spin. makes me smile every time for some reason.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #6154
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
so my rear Anakee 2 on my KLR has just about worn out, and I wanted a replacement.

Turns out they have just now been replaced by the Anakee 3.... which really looks to me like a road tyre... the few reviews it has so far indicate that it is designed for "adventure" riders who ride their big bikes on road more than 99% of the time.

I ride on road plenty which is why I'm not after a knobby at the moment and the Anakee 2 was great for my forays onto dry dirt on the KLR.. which is more like 20-30% of my riding, not 1%. I'm really unconvinced that the Anakee 3 will do the same job.... SO what can you KLR riders suggest to me as a replacement?

Continantal Conti Trail Attack. 85/15 on/off road. On my second front and 3rd rear. Best milage and handling I have had on the KLR by far. Very solid in wet and dry. Done quite a bit of drit with them too. Like most 'non-knobbies', they would not be good in mud and thick sand.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #6155
BGil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I have a KLR from 2001 and I want to change a few things on it :
Bigger fuel tank, 14L (3.7 US Gal) is to small,
Central stand
Tank and engine guard
Side racks for soft luggage
Doohickey, of course
etc.

The problem is that it's an european KLR 650 C model.
Unable to find aftermarket parts in Europe except an overpriced Hepco & Becker side rack (240 , 310 US$), I asked Happy Trails if their products are compatible with the C models. They're trying to find it out, I'm waiting for the answer.

So...
Anyone here knows anything useful for me ?

I have to add that I have the KLR for a 2 month only and that I really like that little pig, even if it feels underpowered after a KTM 990 SMT. But if I can't find a bigger fuel tank, I will have to find another bike ; a range of 200km is ridiculously short for that kind of bike.
BGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #6156
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I'm 5'5" short,I look like a drunk getting on and off of my KLR,ask the last cop who came over to me out of nowhere and ran through the course cause he had no idea how I ride the bike,things got very ugly before he let me go,it was kinda weird but ya us shorties find a way."look can he even touch the ground on that thing"?
With the bike on the sidestand, left foot on the left footrest and swing right leg over from there, a bit like mounting a saddled horse.
Easy as. Dismounting - operation in reverse.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #6157
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
With the bike on the sidestand, left foot on the left footrest and swing right leg over from there, a bit like mounting a saddled horse.
Easy as. Dismounting - operation in reverse.
I've got some miles on the bike now and it's probably gotten easier for me now and I do struggle with lowering it but as my comfort and skill level rises its not an issue as it was at first,oh and Corbin dished seat helps.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #6158
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
I really want to own my second bike and I want it to be a KLR or xr650. Anyways insaw this today and I'm wondering if you guys think this is worth getting. Mind you I'm not very mechanically sound, just like riding (3 years) I'm new to working on anything with a motor...

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/3760390698.html

Thoughts?...
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #6159
samkat
Zoloft warrior

Oddometer: 29
Its hard to turn down a running klr for that price... if it runs and drives. What year is that?

07 KLR650 heavily mod'd
02 650VStar classic mild mods
87 535Virago custom rat mod
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #6160
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGil View Post
I have a KLR from 2001 and I want to change a few things on it :
Bigger fuel tank, 14L (3.7 US Gal) is to small,
Central stand
Tank and engine guard
Side racks for soft luggage
Doohickey, of course
etc.

The problem is that it's an european KLR 650 C model.
Unable to find aftermarket parts in Europe except an overpriced Hepco & Becker side rack (240 , 310 US$), I asked Happy Trails if their products are compatible with the C models. They're trying to find it out, I'm waiting for the answer.

So...
Anyone here knows anything useful for me ?

I have to add that I have the KLR for a 2 month only and that I really like that little pig, even if it feels underpowered after a KTM 990 SMT. But if I can't find a bigger fuel tank, I will have to find another bike ; a range of 200km is ridiculously short for that kind of bike.
They also imported that bike into Canada ( 2000 to 20 or 03?), but you're right, not much aftermarket stuff. It is however very similar to the KLX 650 that came out a couple of years before. Whether or not things will fit properly is another story, but it's likely closer than anything else.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #6161
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
I really want to own my second bike and I want it to be a KLR or xr650. Anyways insaw this today and I'm wondering if you guys think this is worth getting. Mind you I'm not very mechanically sound, just like riding (3 years) I'm new to working on anything with a motor...

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/3760390698.html

Thoughts?...
Don't get me wrong I like my KLR but I only ride it on the street or dirt roads. Off road I ride one of my 2 stroke 500's or my bored KLX250s. But they don't have enough range. I want a XR650R for off road with a street legal kit and over sized fuel tank. I would not even think about a XR650L for any real off road. 2 in our ride group last year at the fall meet we attend, had over heating problems. The fuel in their over sized tanks boiled. You could look in the tank and the gas was in a rolling boil. We had to let them cool for more than an hour before they would start. They could not handle the technical slow going single track without over heating. Not a problem as long as we kept it over 25/35 miles an hour. In my opinion, aggressive off road and street legal it would have be the XR650R. If money is not an issue go with KTM XC-W 500 four stroke.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #6162
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

My guess is mid 90s model... Plastics aren't too important for me but that front end looks like a nightmare. And I'm no good with wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat View Post
Its hard to turn down a running klr for that price... if it runs and drives. What year is that?

07 KLR650 heavily mod'd
02 650VStar classic mild mods
87 535Virago custom rat mod
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #6163
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for something I can do two lane highway so I can ride with my brother (he owns a Harley LOL). But I'm not looking for something that needs to handle single track like a savage. I'll mostly be sticking to slab and gravel/dirt roads. The KLR has been in my radar for a long time mostly for the fact I would be able to strap things to it and take a road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
Don't get me wrong I like my KLR but I only ride it on the street or dirt roads. Off road I ride one of my 2 stroke 500's or my bored KLX250s. But they don't have enough range. I want a XR650R for off road with a street legal kit and over sized fuel tank. I would not even think about a XR650L for any real off road. 2 in our ride group last year at the fall meet we attend, had over heating problems. The fuel in their over sized tanks boiled. You could look in the tank and the gas was in a rolling boil. We had to let them cool for more than an hour before they would start. They could not handle the technical slow going single track without over heating. Not a problem as long as we kept it over 25/35 miles an hour. In my opinion, aggressive off road and street legal it would have be the XR650R. If money is not an issue go with KTM XC-W 500 four stroke.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #6164
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
so my rear Anakee 2 on my KLR has just about worn out, and I wanted a replacement.

Turns out they have just now been replaced by the Anakee 3.... which really looks to me like a road tyre... the few reviews it has so far indicate that it is designed for "adventure" riders who ride their big bikes on road more than 99% of the time.

I ride on road plenty which is why I'm not after a knobby at the moment and the Anakee 2 was great for my forays onto dry dirt on the KLR.. which is more like 20-30% of my riding, not 1%. I'm really unconvinced that the Anakee 3 will do the same job.... SO what can you KLR riders suggest to me as a replacement?
Shinko 705. I like mine.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #6165
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Shinko 705. I like mine.
+1

Me too.

That being said, one of my riding buddies said that his source for Avon Gripsters actually lowered the price this year (from un-affordable to possibly affordable ). The gripster pretty much trumping the others in longevity, certainly.

But like you, I am quite pleased with the Shinko 705 and have enjoyed them.