Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #6766
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,408
KLR650 Only Thread......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Decided to repaint the already spray bombed plastics. Went with a darker tan instead of the usual green. It just seems to fit the bike IMHO. Just as I was putting it all back together the mail man showed up with my DirtRacks Pannier mounts so I installed them and then got to work putting the mounting bits onto some over sized ammo cans I had left over from my old YJ buggy I had long since parted ways with. I also did the "Wheat-Whacker" mod to the front fairing and will see later on how much of a difference that makes in the wind department. Eventually I want to get a different fairing entirely so this is just a cheap and simple experiment.

All painted up

Side shot showing the new windscreen angle

Pannier mounts installed, I hope I don't ever find out how effective a bumper that rear cross-brace makes.

Another side shot

With ammo can pannier

rear view
Ok. I saw this bike or its doppelgänger today. Waco, Texas? New Road this afternoon? Nah. Couldn't be. But it was close to same. Black over tan.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #6767
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
You won't see my bike anymore : :(

Details are in my ride report under the day tripping section.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #6768
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 775
Quote:

What the fug? Over
How much you want for the seat? Sorry I'm such an ass.
COHVCO #7369

Dusty_Bottoms screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 07:58 AM
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #6769
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 606
Quote:

Link

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889323

Sorry to hear about you wreck. Would a fork brace have helped?

Just looked at some of your pictures and you have a brace on the bike.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #6770
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:

Sorry to hear this. You put a lot of time and love into that ride!

This is the 3rd such event I have heard of. The other two were air-lifted out!

Soon after getting my KLR in 08 I nearly sold it in disgust. I aborted a 1500m ride after 200miles due to the instability. I was comparing it to my rock solid BMW.

The advice given on the various sites were all related to bearing adjustment, pre-load front anbd back, sag, tire pressures, tire types, front fender, wings on the bars and on and on. They may all be contributors to some degree and I modified and adjusted it accordingly - although nothing was out at the time. I beleived that there was something else more fundamentally wrong.

Here are the eventual conclusions I came too;
1. The frame flexes excessively from the head backwards. Loaded with heavy panniers, standing still you can simulate the 'tank slapper', tail wag and frame flexability by moving the bars quickly,
2. In certain wind conditions, direction and speeds an unstable set of vortices comes off the back of the bike. These create pulsing forward that then plays into # 1.

Over the last 50K's, through the very windy and thermal laden West Texas, the 50-60 mph side winds approaching Glacia NP in upper Montana-as examples, this is how I manage the above;

1. Know and understand when these conditions exist or can be created. Winds and side winds over 20mph. Speeds at or approaching 80mph. Large vehicles moving at speed create a large bow wave and or corresponding low pressure area in the lee.
2. If overtaking a vehicle move over and away as far as you can and then some to get out of their wake.
3. If the occilations begin, slowly back off.
4. Avoid a deathgrip or the temptaion to try to steer out of it.
5. Move your body weigh as far forward on the seat in anticipation that you can.
6. Understand and anticipate the possibility and ride accordingly before it begins.

While not as solid as other makes in windly conditions, the fact that I still have the KLR , do many 800m+ days and it is my choice for long distance riding is testament that I now have it manageable and stable enough.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:05 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #6771
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,049
I had the wobble on my bike also when I first got it. I took off the taller windshield and went back to stock, increased rear preload, and slid the forks up about 3/8" in the triple trees. The suspension mods made a huge difference. Quicker turn in, lighter feel, more stable on the highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #6772
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Sorry to hear this. You put a lot of time and love into that ride!

This is the 3rd such event I have heard of. The other two were air-lifted out!

Soon after getting my KLR in 08 I nearly sold it in disgust. I aborted a 1500m ride after 200miles due to the instability. I was comparing it to my rock solid BMW.

The advice given on the various sites were all related to bearing adjustment, pre-load front anbd back, sag, tire pressures, tire types, front fender, wings on the bars and on and on. They may all be contributors to some degree and I modified and adjusted it accordingly - although nothing was out at the time. I beleived that there was something else more fundamentally wrong.

Here are the eventual conclusions I came too;
1. The frame flexes excessively from the head backwards. Loaded with heavy panniers, standing still you can simulate the 'tank slapper', tail wag and frame flexability by moving the bars quickly,
2. In certain wind conditions, direction and speeds an unstable set of vortices comes off the back of the bike. These create pulsing forward that then plays into # 1.

Over the last 50K's, through the very windy and thermal laden West Texas, the 50-60 mph side winds approaching Glacia NP in upper Montana-as examples, this is how I manage the above;

1. Know and understand when these conditions exist or can be created. Winds and side winds over 20mph. Speeds at or approaching 80mph. Large vehicles moving at speed create a large bow wave and or corresponding low pressure area in the lee.
2. If overtaking a vehicle move over and away as far as you can and then some to get out of their wake.
3. If the occilations begin, slowly back off.
4. Avoid a deathgrip or the temptaion to try to steer out of it.
5. Move your body weigh as far forward on the seat in anticipation that you can.
6. Understand and anticipate the possibility and ride accordingly before it begins.

While not as solid as other makes in windly conditions, the fact that I still have the KLR , do many 800m+ days and it is my choice for long distance riding is testament that I now have it manageable and stable enough.
wow, great post! thanks for the information!
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #6773
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
ever since i installed panniers on my KLR i too have got the speed wobbles on a number of occasions over 70mph.

the best advice i have to someone who gets them is to take your left hand completely off the handlebar; this will almost instantly subside any oscillations.

how fast do you think you were going when your dismounted from the bike? crazy lucky you only walked away with some road rash.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #6774
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Water Pump Seals

2008 KLR 32K.
Water pump leaking antifreeze.
Ordered part.
Replaces mechanical seal and oil seal and o ring along with gaskets on clutch cover and water pump cover.

Great - no more antifreeze leaking.

Dang - oil now leaking.

What the heck did I do wrong. Followed the instruction in the Clymer.

Suggestions/advice/pile on.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #6775
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Alaska Is Cold, When you decide on your tires, bring em by the house and we'll mount them up. Still deciding which bike I take to Dawson this year.

Anyone have an approx. life span of D606s? I am very happy with their handling. I broke the right foot peg feeler off yesterday and don't think that is covered under warranty.

I know the Tiger will end up making the decision for me. I love my KLR, but for a few thousand miles prefer the Tiger.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #6776
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
ever since i installed panniers on my klr i too have got the speed wobbles on a number of occasions over 70mph.

The best advice i have to someone who gets them is to take your left hand completely off the handlebar; this will almost instantly subside any oscillations.

How fast do you think you were going when your dismounted from the bike? Crazy lucky you only walked away with some road rash.
+1
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #6777
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
ever since i installed panniers on my KLR i too have got the speed wobbles on a number of occasions over 70mph.

the best advice i have to someone who gets them is to take your left hand completely off the handlebar; this will almost instantly subside any oscillations.

how fast do you think you were going when your dismounted from the bike? crazy lucky you only walked away with some road rash.

Between 50 and 60 MPH by my best guess, maybe slower but I'm not sure.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #6778
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
2008 KLR 32K.
Water pump leaking antifreeze.
Ordered part.
Replaces mechanical seal and oil seal and o ring along with gaskets on clutch cover and water pump cover.

Great - no more antifreeze leaking.

Dang - oil now leaking.

What the heck did I do wrong. Followed the instruction in the Clymer.

Suggestions/advice/pile on.
There is a small O ring that seals out the oil. You could have scored it on the water pump thread when you installed that. It will need replacing now.

Either tape the thread before you put the impeller on or carefully screw the impeller over the thread.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #6779
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
There is a small O ring that seals out the oil. You could have scored it on the water pump thread when you installed that. It will need replacing now.

Either tape the thread before you put the impeller on or carefully screw the impeller over the thread.
Thanks. I did put tape over the threads before I put it on but I may have put it on in the wrong sequence/place.
Ill take a look. The market site and the manual weren't very clear to me.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #6780
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 253
Mounting Pelicans without drilling?

Just thought I'd put a link in here to the thread where I have lots of pictures of my Pelican case mounting system. I have them mounted without having to drill any holes in them. It's not the prettiest system but it seems to be working.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=830153&page=3
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote