Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #691
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 185
Did the wheatwhaker last year,what a difference it made! also added a front windshield with the option of 4 inches of up or down,used Lexan,lot's better to work with than Plexi.Here are some shot's.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #692
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Here is a side view.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #693
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilama View Post
Here is a side view.
Nice. Like the ATV fender/tank panniers. Is that a modified stock seat?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #694
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Good catch,yes,many layers of high density foam carpet padeing,and then the Sterns ATV pad cut to fit,total cost of under $30,not counting beer.I am good for about 400 miles a day till my ass gives out.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #695
Dan Stark
You can't be serious.

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Using the factory tall windshield on a gen 1. Took off the plastic piece that surrounds the head light to allow a bit of air to flow through. Elongated the hole for the bottom mounting screw and tilted the fairing ahead a bit. Next to zero bad air. I'd rate it really good. With a set of tank panniers mounted the wind protection is excellent ,no buffeting and KLR cheap. The edge of head light does need to be taped or painted or is distracting at night. I'm about 6' and 31" inseam.
Did you have to shim the bottom of the windshield to get it to tilt forward? I'll look at how this on is set up, but this sounds like a pretty good solution as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #696
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
I left the windshield alone. The whole fairing is tilted forward but not by much. It pivots on the two side screws near the signals. The third mounting screw on the bottom holds it in place , the hole in the fairing there is the one that needs to be elongated a bit. There were a couple small brackets inside the fairing I discarded that would have kept it from tilting. It is held on by just the three screws. It has been like that for years with no ill effects. It helped just doing this but from my experiance it was leaving out the piece that surrounds the light (on the inside of the fairing ) that made it about perfect. I'm guessing it allows enough air to enter behind the windshield to cancel out the buffeting but I don't feel any air from this opening while riding.
Placement of hand guards ,where on the seat you sit ect. will have some effect of coarse.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #697
Dan Stark
You can't be serious.

Oddometer: 358
Sounds like a good bit of trial and error to solve every one's different buffeting problems. I appreciate all the input. I installed a tank bag today as well. I read in another thread via google about buffeting that it has helped some folks in a few cases. So just as an experiment I put one that I have on. I'm going to look into tilting the fairing as well. Failing that, I'll start from no fairing at all and build up as I go to find what works for me. I'll post up my results.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #698
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Thanks to everybody for the info. Does anyone know where to get the KLR/BMW roundel stickers? I was just over on the KLR picture thread and noticed so many people have them.

This'll work: http://www.realtimeindustries.com/pr...ct=KLR-Roundel
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #699
derrickb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Some pics from a recent Big Bend adventure last month:

derrickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #700
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
My dad and I did a tour of the USA this spring as I said earlier, one bike had a rough sound and sure enough a broken doohickey, all about that in the blog, first post.

But now me and my fiancee are here over the holidays so trying to get the KLRs ready, one thing was to replace the balancer chain on one of them.

Before tearing apart, hardly any adjustment left:

Hardly any adjustment left

No matter how I turned the engine the silver links on the chain would not line up with the marks, but everything seemed to line up fine just that the chain was not installed properly, would thing more would be out of sync had the chain skipped some teeth here and there:

Silver links not correct

And behold the washer fell into the engine put could fish it out with my finger (thin computer fingers)

And washer fell into the engine, fished out

Some damage to one of the sliders, found a lot of the plastic pieces along with one hook from the old spring in the screen before our trip, didn't go that far to pull apart the other side:

New and old slider, some damage

The sprocket up on the right showed the most wear, old to the left and new to the right:

Worst worn sprocket

Replaced all but the one on the crankshaft (forgot to order) but think all but this was more then fine to reuse, wanted to have the parts here ...should have ordered a shims kit have been waiting over a week for 2 valve shims.

With the new eagle mike doo and torsion spring in place:

New doohickey in place

So one problem solved at least!

Cam chain tensioner had some play left so that will be OK for a while longer:

Checking the cam chain tensioner, some play left

Also decalifornicated one of the bikes, couldn't find a good plug for the air box and the angle that was there had cracked so bought a rubber plug I shortened a little and drilled a hole and a bolt through it to be able to make it expand:

Before assembling

In place, bolt had to be long enough so I could hold it with pliers while tightening the nut:

Plug in place

Also noticed this:

Hmm, damaged engine mount?

Threads were stripped but just bought a new bolt clamped the engine mount in and bolted it down.

Also looked over the clutch switch since that bike refuse to start in gear with clutch pulled in, switch seemed to move freely so just cleaned it:

Just took it apart and cleaned

NOW FOR THE QUESTIONS!!!

Bypassing the side stand switch wouldn´t interfere with the clutch switch in any way?

How much damage did I do to the other bike?? Did the doohickey on the road while traveling and had bad internet (cell phone) so messed up and removed the balancer chain tensioner lever so the needle bearing isn't held in place properly when installing the new doo with torsion spring also drilled the hole wrong. (will tear that bike apart tomorrow so will probably get answers then)

And also will it hurt the bikes to start them without any battery connected? Both are toast but maybe its better to install a bad battery if jump starting them, won't run them really mainly to start them up and see that everything is working.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #701
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The chrome links line up only once in every 9 revolutions of the engine if memory serves me well. Just keep rotating the crank around until they all line up with those dots.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #702
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
The chrome links line up only once in every 9 revolutions of the engine if memory serves me well. Just keep rotating the crank around until they all line up with those dots.
Aha, I gave up removed the old and installed the new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty950 View Post
How much damage did I do to the other bike?? Did the doohickey on the road while traveling and had bad internet (cell phone) so messed up and removed the balancer chain tensioner lever so the needle bearing isn't held in place properly when installing the new doo with torsion spring also drilled the hole wrong. (will tear that bike apart tomorrow so will probably get answers then)
And now I quoted myself again ....and its BAD (got worried so ripped it apart now instead of tomorrow!)!!!!!!

Not looking good

VERY BAD:

In fact very BAD

Started filtering the oil I drained, said only for decorative use on the pottery:

Filtering the oil (said only for decoration in the pot)

WTF??????? What is this?????? Where could it have come from???
Almost clogged the filter screen to the point it looks like it was on its way to collapse, its like some kind of silicone, did not come from the failed bearing!

WHAT IS THIS??

Hmm rollers!

Hmm rollers

Still can't fully account for all the pieces from the bearing, need to get hold of a magnet to try to search the bottom of the engine tomorrow, didn't feel like ripping it all apart!

Still miss a few

Can see the $bills flying away from me!!!!!

ARRRRRGH!!!!!!

So questions this time where did the brown gunk come from????

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #703
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Bypassing the side stand switch wouldn´t interfere with the clutch switch in any way?
None that I can see.
Quote:
And also will it hurt the bikes to start them without any battery connected? Both are toast but maybe its better to install a bad battery if jump starting them, won't run them really mainly to start them up and see that everything is working.
On Generation 1 KLR650's (pre-2008 model year), the battery charging and ignition circuits are completely separate; thus, IMHO, absence of a battery is of no consequence in running the engines on these machines.

Link to Generation 1 KLR650 wiring diagram, FYI:

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-c...ng-diagram.gif

XDragRacer screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 03:16 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #704
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stark View Post
It does look a bit funky. But I did consider taking it off to see what it felt like without one at all. I wonder if an old clear face shield from my helmet could be fabbed up (read:cut) to make a lower windscreen?
I have actually seen this very mod. Wish I could remember where. I peruse too many bike sites.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #705
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
So questions this time where did the brown gunk come from????

/Johan
Emulsified water ?
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote