Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #736
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
If you can't weld or don't want to, you are screwed IMHO in means to build a solid rear pannier that won't vibrate loose while on an adventure IMHO. Save up the coin and buy either a good secondhand unit or buy the strongest on the market, a PackRat system. $250 iirc. Sorry. Also look for mermite boxes instead of those heavy ammo cans.....mermites are super light and do require a bit of work but you won't be sorry. I have a set and they are almost indestructable.
I ride a Pack Rat Adventure Gear pannier mount with 50mm ammo cases and they hold up really well even if you dump the hard bike on a trail.

Here is a thread on a similar discussion:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699883
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #737
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I agree they are a good option (lightweight and caverous), but they are destructable. They are oversized tin cans, afterall. I was sorry to see mine permanently retired last summer.

I'd be crying in my soup if they were mine! I have never seen a pair smashed up like yours....what happened? I also use a strengthener plate where they attach to the packRat pannier rack, just for my piece of mind. The first time I loaded them up with stupid weight I noticed they flexed when I leaned on them to find out how strong they were. I have come off at 80 on the Dempster and they only took a scratch, no dents.....I guess I was lucky....damn!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #738
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
I ride a Pack Rat Adventure Gear pannier mount with 50mm ammo cases and they hold up really well even if you dump the hard bike on a trail.

Here is a thread on a similar discussion:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699883

Yep those are the ones we used to use when off roading in our Jeeps etc. Totally indestructable but heavy!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #739
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,051
If you have the means, you can go cheap. I use side racks I built out of EMT and some flat stock. (Take precausions when welding galvanized). Discounting the tube bender ($25) and a HF TIG wleder ($129) the cost was under $5 for material. They could mount hard panniers, but I use dry bags. Very happy with the results. Dry bags are less than $15 each - I use 3 31L bags and about $15 worth of straps. But you get what you pay for and these are not pro-quality racks, but totally serviceable for me.
Pic
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #740
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I'd be crying in my soup if they were mine! I have never seen a pair smashed up like yours....what happened? I also use a strengthener plate where they attach to the packRat pannier rack, just for my piece of mind. The first time I loaded them up with stupid weight I noticed they flexed when I leaned on them to find out how strong they were. I have come off at 80 on the Dempster and they only took a scratch, no dents.....I guess I was lucky....damn!
I biffed several times on my solo TAT trip last summer. The bottom of my left side can peeled open and it collected water and dirt for many miles.

They might have handled it better if I had a more robust rack and mounts. I had to get the rack welded in Salida.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #741
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
If you have the means, you can go cheap. I use side racks I built out of EMT and some flat stock. (Take precausions when welding galvanized). Discounting the tube bender ($25) and a HF TIG wleder ($129) the cost was under $5 for material. They could mount hard panniers, but I use dry bags. Very happy with the results. Dry bags are less than $15 each - I use 3 31L bags and about $15 worth of straps. But you get what you pay for and these are not pro-quality racks, but totally serviceable for me.
Pic
True KLRista. Nicely done.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #742
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
First ride was great

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #743
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Looks great!

BTW - Some KLR's burn oil, some do not. It doesn't matter if it's an 08 or 11. Nothing has been changed. Most of it has to do with the rpm's you're turning.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #744
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
She sure is purdy, Mine not so much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
First ride was great

still fighting a lean ping problem but come hell or high-water I'm going to fix it this year.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #745
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
ride today

Took 100 + mile spin today...........
Attached Images

VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #746
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
Voldog, right there where you took that pic....was the gate closed where the road goes on up to lake Canasauga? And what about the road on to Murray's lake....was it open too?

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #747
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
That is top gun. They make a bunch of different springs for the klr.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk

That's it. Thanks.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #748
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I restuffed my old KLR seat with memory foam to make it comfy. Now I found a good used Corbin seat...I like em both. I restuffed the stock one with memory foam in all the right places. The Corbin is custom in between dished and flat. The Corbin of course is wider esp. the back half.

If anyone wants either one shoot me an offer. They are both used but both are in great shape and far more comfy than stock. If nobody wants the Corbin, I will restuff the middle with memory foam and keep it.

The stock seat pan is plastic with plastic mounting points and the cover is held with staples. The Corbin seat pan is fiberglass with metal mounting points and the cover is riveted on.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #749
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
.. yessir ..

.. they are not easy to come by, but if you can hunt down a USMC take-off they are set up with approx. a 500lb progressive spring that works great for us big guys .. especially if you also add a set of 1" RAISING links to the rear end (the USMC shock is about 1/2" shorter than the stock KLR shock) ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I recall a post somewhere about a company that will install stiffer springs on stock rear KLR shocks but I can't remember the name of the company. The stock shocks are optimized for a 160 pound rider and I tip the scales at about 250 before breakfast!
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #750
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Voldog, right there where you took that pic....was the gate closed where the road goes on up to lake Canasauga? And what about the road on to Murray's lake....was it open too?

Fido
Yeap, both closed
68 closed too.....
Went back out to Mill Creek and old 2, peavine, big frog to copperhill back 5 to ellijay and home sweet home 201 miles 9am to 5 pm Had a blast ! Thanks Keith for the invite.
Attached Images

VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote