Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #7636
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
I dab a thin coat of rtv on the base and washer. You can get a rubber coated washer at somewhere like NAPA. DON'T over tighten...a road to disaster.
+1 - that's why I stopped and asked for ideas. I may not be a good mechanic, but I know when I'm about to do something stupid even if I don't know what the right way to proceed is.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #7637
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
Do you have the "crush" washer in there? I put crush in quotes, 'cause it doesn't really crush much, but I haven't had a leak with mine, so I've continued using it.
+1.

Most these days are aluminum.

If copper, and you are stuck, you can soften the old copper one. Anneal it - heat 'till glowing then cool it - makes it nice and soft to take up any bolt or case shape.

The rubber coated ones I have found are one use only.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #7638
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
+1 - that's why I stopped and asked for ideas. I may not be a good mechanic, but I know when I'm about to do something stupid even if I don't know what the right way to proceed is.
Nice to see someone with a little common sense Pick up a new crush washer. As previously mentioned Napa sells one with a rubber seal. I use one from GM. Looks like these...

Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #7639
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay thanks guys. I didn't realize those washers were a consumable item. I'll drop the oil tomorrow and inspect the plug and hole in the engine case. If I don't see anything obviously wrong I'll just replace the washer and see what happens.

I'll post after the weekend and let you know what happened.

I appreciate the advice...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #7640
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 531
Use a torque wrench.
I don't have my book in front of me or I would post the proper torque.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #7641
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Okay thanks guys. I didn't realize those washers were a consumable item. I'll drop the oil tomorrow and inspect the plug and hole in the engine case. If I don't see anything obviously wrong I'll just replace the washer and see what happens.

If you can't find them locally Fred at Arrowhead sports in Moab will mail you some. Link here. Look nine rows up from the bottom, aluminum drain plug crush washer, part #20-4538.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #7642
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
If you can't find them locally Fred at Arrowhead sports in Moab will mail you some. Link here. Look nine rows up from the bottom, aluminum drain plug crush washer, part #20-4538.
Thanks. I have the stock oil plug that hasn't seen much use so I can always put it back in until I get the right washer for the magnetic plug.

I have a magnet in my oil filter as well so I don't really need both anyways.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #7643
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Rode about 120 miles yesterday. Most two lane highway at 55-60. The last 15 or so was FS roads and I noticed when I hit the road to head back into town my speedometer stopped working. My trip /odometer hasn't worked since I.bought the bike. Im gonna remove the cable, inspect and oil it and see if it will work then. I guess it's just more reason to get the Vapor TrailTech sooner than later. Too bad my finances suck
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #7644
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Rode about 120 miles yesterday. Most two lane highway at 55-60. The last 15 or so was FS roads and I noticed when I hit the road to head back into town my speedometer stopped working. My trip /odometer hasn't worked since I.bought the bike. Im gonna remove the cable, inspect and oil it and see if it will work then. I guess it's just more reason to get the Vapor TrailTech sooner than later. Too bad my finances suck
Cheaper to fix the problem. Most are related to incorrect installation of the front tire/ODO sending unit. As for no ODO but speedo works probably time to open up the gauge cluster to look see. Again, pretty basic design/engineering.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #7645
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Cheaper to fix the problem. Most are related to incorrect installation of the front tire/ODO sending unit. As for no ODO but speedo works probably time to open up the gauge cluster to look see. Again, pretty basic design/engineering.
I've greased the bottom of the cable before. U think I jumbled it loose or something on some of the bumpy off roading. I realize its cheaper to fix but I have no idea what to look for inside the cluster. Guess it's time for trial and error eh?!!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #7646
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 373
Quote:

How long since you did the oil last? If only recently, seems a bit drastic to dump it just to change the washer unless it is pouring out! Why not go ride a thousand miles or so first???

...and the torque is: 29 Nm (aka 21 ft-lb in your archaic imperial system ) although personally I've never bothered... just don't overtighten.....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #7647
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Had to look that up, either I was wrong all this time or something is screwy.... Clymer's says 17 ft lbs.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #7648
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
If only recently, seems a bit drastic to dump it just to change the washer unless it is pouring out! Why not go ride a thousand miles or so first???

...and the torque is: 29 Nm (aka 21 ft-lb in your archaic imperial system ) although personally I've never bothered... just don't overtighten.....
A modest proposal . . . why not CATCH the relatively clean oil in a container and RE-USE it??????????????

Next, Clymer specifies oil drain plug torque as 23 N-m, or 17 ft-lb (to use the units of measure God intended), NOT 29 N-m/21 ft-lb as you post (the Clymer data for Generation 1).

The torque figure is easy to remember, because the oil drain plug has a 17 mm (as cataloged in the Godless, Communist metric sytem) hex, numerically same as the torque in ft-lb.

Generation 2 torques specs may differ.

EDIT: Didn't see SkiBumBrian's post above before I posted this one. 29 N-m/21 ft-lb might be wretched excess. If the threads are stripped, I shall have to post my OVERSIZE OIL DRAIN PLUG soliloquy!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 04:04 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #7649
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
If the threads are stripped, I shall have to post my OVERSIZE OIL DRAIN PLUG soliloquy!
Oh no! Not again!!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #7650
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
A modest proposal . . . why not CATCH the relatively clean oil in a container and RE-USE it??????????????

***snip***

If the threads are stripped, I shall have to post my OVERSIZE OIL DRAIN PLUG soliloquy!
Re-using the oil was my plan - it looks clean in the sight glass.

The leak is minimal now, but I'll be thinking about that leak all the time when riding so it's easier on my brain to just fix the problem and be chilled out when riding.

The threads aren't stripped. I may not be a great mechanic, but I'm not a goon. I hand thread bolts to ensure they aren't messed up when I hit them with a wrench.

Sounds like the washer is the culprit. However I will double check everything visually once I have the plug out.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!

VikB screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 06:30 PM