Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #796
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs View Post
I have been researching lately and have come up with this one.Its an 06 with 655miles on the clock.Wants 4k for it.Understand the doohickey fix,what else do I need to know about this kawi?Have an 06 xr650l in the garage but want another more suited for the longer hauls,in a dual purpose configuration.

Nice bike but that's a LOT of money for an '06 IMHO

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #797
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Agreed with above for prices below the border......you guys get some very very good eals all the time, this doesn't sound like one at all. Sorry to say, maybe closer to $3000 mark...?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #798
Dan Stark
You can't be serious.

Oddometer: 358
I would recommend not spending more than 3000, or 3100 if you just have to have it. There are some nice bikes out there and well sorted for that kind of money.

Be patient, good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #799
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp68 View Post
By the way what is the DOO? Is that the same thing and the DOOHickey? I think I will try and seach the site. I asked the Parts Guy at the Kawasaki dealer and he said that it was much a do about nothing????
Yeah, my dealer said that too. Having now helped with or done 4 doohickey replacements and only found one tensioner or spring intact it's not a 'theory'. Swap it out and have peace of mind. It's not expensive for the parts, you can probably rent/borrow the tools from someone on here, and with the proper instructions (or Eagle Mike's cell number) you can do the work yourself.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #800
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Hey Triggs - exciting stuff, getting a new (used) bike. I picked up a 2008 with 3,200 miles, Kawi saddle bags, rack bag, and tank bag, with an extra Corbin seat for.......$3,000. Always garaged (hangar actually) and in great shape - no oxodization, etc. I was actually looking for a DR but I couldn't pass this one up, and I'm happy I didn't.

The machine you're looking at looks like the exhaust has been changed, and it does look in good shape, but I don't know if it's worth $4,000, for an 07... I'd work the person on the price, or try to at least. I know, easy to give advice when it's not your money. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and congratulations! You'll be getting something, whether this bike or not!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #801
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,105
... I dunno man ..

Quote:
I have been researching lately and have come up with this one.Its an 06 with 655miles on the clock.Wants 4k for it.Understand the doohickey fix,what else do I need to know about this kawi?Have an 06 xr650l in the garage but want another more suited for the longer hauls,in a dual purpose configuration.
First off, I ain't trying to bring you down man .. but 655 miles?? .. after market exhausted .. faded and scratched body .. not the stock tires that came with it ..

.. something just don't add up .. MAYBE it sat outside all that time .. but for 4K cash?? .. unless that body is pristine and all the seals and gaskets look fresh as a daisy and all of the screws still have paint and no rust in them I'd walk away quickly and not look back .. look at the chain and sprockets for any wear .. peak inside the brake calipers and look at the brake pads .. run your fingers up inside the frame and look for some road grime .. if you find anything that don't make sense for a 655 mile bike then I'd start betting that ain't the original odometer/instrument cluster ..

.. you won't miss it nor worry about the "one that got away" ..

.. fwiw .. I got my '06 with 16,500 miles for $2,600 .. it was in good condition with the expected wear and looked great before I started crashing it .. lol ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #802
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
IMHO--got back into riding andowning a bike in april of 2011--after a 25 year dry spell---found a 06 KLR with 247 miles on it ---faded bad on the right side and right rear---basic stock --still had the original tires on it --albiet a little dry rotted--spent the large sum of $1800 for it---you don't really want to know about all the FARKLES that i have on it now---had problems with fuel tank --but got it cleaned out---and am proud to say that as of last weekend it now has 6300 miles on the register and I am having a ball---If you know the gentleman who owns it real well and check everything out good----get it if you want ---but I would feel that 4 is a little much---

once you do get it or another one --the money starts to get spent for all the toys and farkles that you just have got to have

Whatever you do Good Luck--

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #803
triggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yep I'm seeing this on the value guide(nada),3100 is for excellent conditioned 06.Storm lake has an 08 with 3800 miles for 4395.Still high isn't it?Hell msrp for a new one is 6200 so I sent off an email to ft.dodge requesting an OTD quote for a 2011.I am gonna go talk with my banker tomorrow afternoon to see what I'll need down for a loan on a new one.I imagine with all the dealer cost I'm looking at 7k.We'll see.I'll let you guys know what happens but I'm hot on the trail for one of these machines.The wifes pissed-I bought an 06 xr650l last april.......................But baby I need an ADV bike.
triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #804
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
I agree that the bike is too much money. I wish they would hold their value that well but most don't. If you walked in there and didn't know any better it would look like a good value .

There is an 02 in North Texas with all the mods including hard bags. It is meticulously maintained by an Aircraft Mechanic. It looks new, has 42,000 miles on it and could be bought for $2000.

I can get contact info if anyone is interested!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #805
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Beware of the early 08's, very bad oil burning issues, yes some don't but way too many do.
Mileage doesn't mean squat either these bikes if treated well should crest over 100,000miles. The big bore kit isn't expensive either, so that's something to concider too if you find one that does drink a bit of oil........just make damned sure the newer versions especially haven't been run low on oil.......it will cost you large to fix lower end issues.

Just a heads up.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #806
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,782
I'll sell you my 09 with farkles for 4K

Quote:
19K on the clock
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #807
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,533
Quote:
A 6 year old KLR?

Nothing done to it outside of tires and a crappy pipe?
Edit: looks like it may have bark busters, too.

Try $2000-$2500.

The ones that are fetching $3000-$3200 will have aftermarket fork springs, footpegs, seats, new aluminum bars, skid plate, shift lever, bark busters, cruise control, decent exhaust, maybe braided brake lines and a new rear shock.

$4000 for that thing is highway robbery.
On a dirt road, no less.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #808
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

lol
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #809
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
I paid $4,500 for mine. 2011, one month old, with 200 miles on it

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #810
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I paid $4,500 for mine. 2011, one month old, with 200 miles on it
That sounds like a fair deal.