Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #811
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
My first post, been lurking for awhile. I got my 07 for $3000 with 5k miles. Tons of extras including tires, riding gear, panniers, and all work done at dealer. Only thing I have to do is the doo,. will do that next month. I looked at alot of bikes out here in AZ and saw lots of abuse. Mine had never been offroad till I got it. Been nothing but happy with my bike. Cant get the grin off my face
surlywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #812
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlywill View Post
My first post, been lurking for awhile. I got my 07 for $3000 with 5k miles. Tons of extras including tires, riding gear, panniers, and all work done at dealer. Only thing I have to do is the doo,. will do that next month. I looked at alot of bikes out here in AZ and saw lots of abuse. Mine had never been offroad till I got it. Been nothing but happy with my bike. Cant get the grin off my face
Congrats and welcome to the asylum. Now we've gotta see some pics or it never happened.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #813
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
My first post, been lurking for awhile. I got my 07 for $3000 with 5k miles. Cant get the grin off my face
Welcome and good choice on your ride........................................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #814
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Congrats, you've now bought into the sickness...and it's good!

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #815
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs View Post
I have been researching lately and have come up with this one.Its an 06 with 655miles on the clock.Wants 4k for it.Understand the doohickey fix,what else do I need to know about this kawi?Have an 06 xr650l in the garage but want another more suited for the longer hauls,in a dual purpose configuration.
655 miles? Seems fishy but you never know.

For comparison I purchased my 05 with 24k on it for $1500...left me plenty of money to farkle it and repair anything I might run across that was broken. Other than needing the valve clearances adjusted and the fuel line and filter replaced it has needed nothing outside of the normal consumables (chain / sprocket). I just wore out the tires that were on it and tomorrow I will be mounting up a pair of Heidenau K76's, anxious to see how they do.

You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"

Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #816
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
I bought an '05 back in Oct. for $3,000 from my roommate's older brother that only had 634 miles on it. He just never rode it. Works off-shore. It runs like I bought it from the dealer, brand new. Love it, and wouldn't trade it for anything. She just rolled over 3k =D

Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #817
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypercell View Post
I bought an '05 back in Oct. for $3,000 from my roommate's older brother that only had 634 miles on it. He just never rode it. Works off-shore. It runs like I bought it from the dealer, brand new. Love it, and wouldn't trade it for anything. She just rolled over 3k =D

Mmmmm...dirt!

What did you use to paint the headlight surround? I like the two color red and black color scheme you have going. I used plasti-dip and opted to black out my red gal. And is that a wire light protector I spy? Details?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #818
Snypercell

Haha! dirt indeed! It always seems to find me....

I used spray can bed liner. I also taped off the rear fender and painted it with the bed liner. Nice bike, btw. I like the all black. Next on my list are some blinkers like yours, foot pegs and a tank bag. Been thinking about the Wheatwhacker mod, too. I already replaced my shift lever with one from Moose Racing. Oh yeah, the headlight cover. That is the paint strainer mod. A simple paint strainer from a hardware store, cut and painted with the same bed liner stuff, then zip-tied directly onto the light.
Which tires are those? Opinions on them? Looking for something more street-able with some life.

Here's a pic of the rear fender before the bed liner. This was matte black Krylon Fusion. (Nevermind the ridiculously bald factory tire =D There's a Dunlop 606 back there atm.)

Snypercell screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 09:43 AM
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #819
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
stock ride height 87-07 KLR 650

Could someone please take a measurement of the stock ride height of a 87-07 KLR 650?... say from the floor to the top of the gas cap (with the bike as vertical as possible). I know this will have some variability for everyone but I'm only asking to see if I'm close to original. Did a fork swap recently and forgot to document stock dimensions.
Thanks!
Mike
mdlak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #820
Snypercell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Could someone please take a measurement of the stock ride height of a 87-07 KLR 650?... say from the floor to the top of the gas cap (with the bike as vertical as possible). I know this will have some variability for everyone but I'm only asking to see if I'm close to original. Did a fork swap recently and forgot to document stock dimensions.
Thanks!
Mike
My '05 has stock suspension, wheels, and seat. From the ground to the gas cap is right at 43", and from the ground to the dip in the front of the seat is about 35.5".
And I've been toiling over the idea for weeks of a new front suspension. I don't want to blow $1500, but I want a set of inverted forks. What kind of forks did you use? Did you have to get the conversion from Emig Racing?

-James

Snypercell screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 02:59 PM
Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #821
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypercell View Post
My '05 has stock suspension, wheels, and seat. From the ground to the gas cap is right at 43", and from the ground to the vertex (best judgement) of the dip in the front of the seat is about 35.5".

-James
Perfect James! Thats exactly what I've measured post swap.
Thank you
Mike
mdlak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #822
Wild Pig
Looks like avatar.

Oddometer: 85
Broken Bolt Question

Ok, let's say I "hypothetically" snapped off the inner crank case bolt while reinstalling the left side cases from a 'doo job. Let's also say it's the short one up by the starter gears. Assume also I was lucky enough to get the bolt out.

Anything wrong with going down to Joe Hardware Store and getting a matching bolt, or is there some specification I should know about?

Hypothetically, I mean.

"You pass through places, and places pass through you."
Wild Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #823
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pig View Post
Ok, let's say I "hypothetically" snapped off the inner crank case bolt while reinstalling the left side cases from a 'doo job. Let's also say it's the short one up by the starter gears. Assume also I was lucky enough to get the bolt out.

Anything wrong with going down to Joe Hardware Store and getting a matching bolt, or is there some specification I should know about?

Hypothetically, I mean.
No worries. It's not a high-torque application. Grab a stainless one in the appropriate size.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #824
Wild Pig
Looks like avatar.

Oddometer: 85
Thanks. I don't have much luck with educated guesses.

"You pass through places, and places pass through you."
Wild Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #825
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
No worries. It's not a high-torque application. Grab a stainless one in the appropriate size.
Grab a regular steel one in the appropriate 6mm x 1.0 size. Try to avoid stainless with aluminum, as it tends to promote corrosion and galling.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote