User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #856
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,540
Climb,
The average KLR (all years) can normally get anywhere from the low 30's to mid 50's mpg. It all depends upon bike speed, wind, load, terrain and what you do with your right hand. 75mph cruising in reasonable weather, expect mid to upper 40's.

Unless there is a controlled test, mpg is whatever you want it to be and not comparable to the next rider.

Worst I have got is 32mpg driving into a 50-60mph headwind on MT Hwy 89 approaching Browning - my over the road speed was about 45-50mph in 3rd and 4th gear. Best, 53 puttering around with friends below 65mph.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 05:23 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #857
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Took the '06 I picked up a few months ago with about 11K on the odo into Happy Trails for their 9th Annual Doohicky Clinic. There were a dozen or so bikes there for the Doo. Found that my bike's Doo was still stock. It was replaced with the Eagle Mike's version with torsion spring. One of the dozen bikes there had a busted doo and when I left I think they were tearing into the right side to see if they could find the rest of it. Do the Doo. And thanks to Happy Trails for an excellent clinic

Should I do it to a 2011? And if this is a very known problem why the F does Kawasaki not fix it?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #858
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Should I do it to a 2011? And if this is a very known problem why the F does Kawasaki not fix it?
Why? Who knows- that question has been asked for decades?

The 08+ have an improved Doo- machined out ofr solid material and not a 2 piece welded unit. It does not fit on the shaft as well as the aftermarket EM one. The other less spoken about issue and equally important is the tensioner spring. There are two issue with this;

1. The stock one it is too long. As a result the amount of adjustment is limited.
2. The Kawa springs are made with a few nicks at the end bends. Being hardened spring steel, these sometimes break at that point.

At the least you need to check or replace the spring. While in there most change both the doo and spring. EM has 3 different length springs that are properly bent. He also offers the torsion spring.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #859
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
I shouldn't be answering this (cause I don't know) but I think the doo is better on the 08's but the spring is still weak. My bud has 15-16k on his 08 and he hasn't touched his doo. I asked him about oil use before I bought mine and he said his only uses oil when he's blasting down the interstate for hours.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #860
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbology View Post
And yea I heard KLR's are notorious for oil consumption, so I've been keeping my eye on it every other day, thanks for the heads up though!
KLR's are not notorious for oil consumption! I tire of hearing this statement made way to often! Not a rant but lets make a few points visibly clear............................

We are takling about a model with a production run of over twenty years. This problem came about when the model change was made in 2008. Very rarely do you hear any major "oil consumption" problem with pre '08 models. Admittedly there was a quality issue early on in the "new" series but the INTERNET exploded it to catastrophic levels. Do a little research and you will find little issue up to the last couple of years and most of it is self imposed.

In 2008 they changed the motorcycle to a more "highway" friendly model and along with it people, mistakenly, assumed they could ride at 75-80 mph on the interstate with no problem. The motor is still a single cylinder piston, the size of your fist, and high rpm's and aggressive speed takes a toll on that small cylinder and piston thereby using excessive amounts of oil.

How many times do you hear this "oil consumption" issue and in the same sentence they state "I run at 75 most of the time" or "I ride the interstate most of the time" ? The majority of the problem to most extent is caused by the rider and not a symptom of the quality of the motorcycle build. I own a 1998 and change oil at every 3000 miles and I never have had to add oil in between changes. I ride with guys on an 2008, 2009 and a 2010 and none of them have had any issue with oil consumption, ever! That being said they (we) ride backroads at 60ish mph or under, never ride interstates and generally ride in a "explorer" mode when not totally off road. I would most assuredly guarantee you if an owner rode at an under 5000rpm style they would most likely never have any issue.

Most folks don't ride at a slower pace but rather like to flog their bikes often and the KLR is not made for this style of riding. The KLR is a do everything motorcycle but not a modern designed, high tech bike that can withstand excessive stress on lower quality build materials. Wanna go fast, ride a sport-bike. Wanna just cruise, by a Harley. Wanna ride off road buy a street-able dirt-bike. Wanna do everything kinda OK, buy a KLR but do it within reason and expectations.

Don't blame the bike for something it's not designed to do.

back to regularly schedule discussion.................

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #861
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Just a heads up...the torsion spring is not made to fit the stock DOO. The Eagle Mike DOO is positioned differently on the shaft than the stock one and the hook up location isn't the same......just buy the complete unit...saves all the hastle and BS..it ain't expensive!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #862
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
... now dag nabbit ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
.. After dousing myself with gas several times filling the Siggs from the pump ..
.. you know .. I (finally) got myself the other day and thought about this thread for some reason .. lol .. I started using a 1.5L Primus and turned the 1L cans into oil haulers ..

.. but I made a mess of things the other day re-filling it .. lol .. so far I have used that 1.5L Primus twice in the last month .. for fellow employees who stranded themselves in their cages on the way to work .. lol ..

(edit) .. and yes .. I haul oil .. as I find myself frequently running at 55k rpm on the slab and using oil .. under 5K no problems .. but mine (as I suspect many many others do) uses oil at highway speeds .. mines does not use much mind you .. but enough after about 600 miles that I need to top her off (and another reason I want the center stand back on my bike (after I broke it) .. dangit .. )

RevBill screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 08:44 AM
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #863
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
KLR's are not notorious for oil consumption! I tire of hearing this statement made way to often! Not a rant but lets make a few points visibly clear..............................
MotoBoss,

You are partially correct in a lot except your likeminded dogmatism that they do. The KLR's while having their origins back decades have been partailly re-designed several times, so the claims of 'old' design is not altogether correct. The bike, its motor, frame, brakes is a design consistant for particular market and price range. In that envelope it does very well. Also not correct is that KLR's use or do not use oil and it all has to do with how fast they are ridden. Not correct is the also often repeated tribal knowldge that some repeat that, "all singles use oil..."

One of the (few) weaknesses actually recognized by Kawa in the KLR motor was that the pre 08's had a ring issue that would manifest itself in high oil usage if constant speeds of over 5Krpm were used in some motors. The replacement rings and piston in the 08 instead of correcting that which it was supposed to do with their changed design, made it worse in many cases. I can attest to that. Their further 3rd generation replacement ring has been a little better.

At the core of the ring/oil usage are two issues. 1. Design of the ring, 2. The pressure it exerts on the cylinder wall. The initial 08 re-designed ring exerted about 3 lbs pressure. This was too low. The late Cary Aspy, in testing and spec'ing a ring pressure, went to 11lbs. for the 685 and a convential design in the inital 25K miles of his testing. This cured the oil usage issue in his testing. I can also attest to that correct diagnosis - 28K+ miles, much of which is long distance, if not interstate, has certainly been at the 75mph+ range - with no noticable oil usage in changes as far as 4k miles apart with a Cary machined cylinder and ring fitted 658. Some 685's have used oil - but that has more to do with cylinder liner warpage and machining than ring design and pressure.

You are, however, correct in that the 'tribal' often repeated generalization comment that 'KLR's are notorious for oil consumption" is mindlessly, by some, used to cover all KLR's - just as the 'doo' is bandied about as an imminent and fatal flaw that has to be corrected all the time for all bikes.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #864
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Just a heads up...the torsion spring is not made to fit the stock DOO. The Eagle Mike DOO is positioned differently on the shaft than the stock one and the hook up location isn't the same......just buy the complete unit...saves all the hastle and BS..it ain't expensive!

Drill the position hole in a different location and the torsion spring can be used.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #865
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Stock doo does not have the "set groove" for the torsion spring. I would never use Mike's torsion spring with a stock unit.. Why would you? You're there, replace it with a better product... Oh, and you Gen II crowd, check you deep hole.....
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #866
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Stock doo does not have the "set groove" for the torsion spring. I would never use Mike's torsion spring with a stock unit.. Why would you? You're there, replace it with a better product... Oh, and you Gen II crowd, check you deep hole.....
The original EM doo's did not have the groove either - that was added later by EM. Easy to file a groove in it - still works without the groove.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #867
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
MotoBoss,
You are, however, correct in that the 'tribal' often repeated generalization comment that 'KLR's are notorious for oil consumption" is mindlessly, by some, used to cover all KLR's - just as the 'doo' is bandied about as an imminent and fatal flaw that has to be corrected all the time for all bikes.
My point........true enough. Not being no way near technically inclined my point is the 'generalization' that the KLR is a oil whore, which is just not so. I bow to your reasoning and observations.
The rise of "world wide conversation" has help perpetuate the myth and it makes me tired...............

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #868
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. you know .. I (finally) got myself the other day and thought about this thread for some reason .. lol .. I started using a 1.5L Primus and turned the 1L cans into oil haulers ..

.. but I made a mess of things the other day re-filling it .. lol .. so far I have used that 1.5L Primus twice in the last month .. for fellow employees who stranded themselves in their cages on the way to work .. lol ..

(edit) .. and yes .. I haul oil .. as I find myself frequently running at 55k rpm on the slab and using oil .. under 5K no problems .. but mine (as I suspect many many others do) uses oil at highway speeds .. mines does not use much mind you .. but enough after about 600 miles that I need to top her off (and another reason I want the center stand back on my bike (after I broke it) .. dangit .. )
Unless your part of NC is different, the statewide speed limit is 55mph. It's been a few years since I sat through a math class, but it appears to me that someone's admitting to criminal activity on the interwebs (or hasn't found 5th gear).....

I too haul oil, but it's because I'm monitoring a seeping countershaft seal. So far no significant leaking, but a quart in the tank saddlebag is cheap insurance. Also helps block the wind on those early mornings when the temps are sub freezing.

I run 4300rpm at 65mph indicated with 16t front. No noticeable oil consumption. Before, running 5k rpm at 70mph indicated with 15t front is saw slight oil usage. 37k miles on stock motor (doo done) and it's been rode hard. Piston slap at startup, blow-by, etc but no significant oil usage.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #869
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,081
Check it out...
Upholstered my stock seat with an army issue duffle bag.

Indiana Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #870
SeanPNW
Water Bear

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
My point........true enough. Not being no way near technically inclined my point is the 'generalization' that the KLR is a oil whore, which is just not so. I bow to your reasoning and observations.
The rise of "world wide conversation" has help perpetuate the myth and it makes me tired...............
At the risk of pushing this thread down this avenue further....I only use oil when I'm burning down the freeway on trips in a rush, cruising at a high rpm for extended periods of time. This is to be expected given what the engine is. Other than that, keeping it at a reasonable rpm, don't eat any oil.

Interesting how I've heard this a lot as well though.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote