Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #871
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Unless your part of NC is different, the statewide speed limit is 55mph. It's been a few years since I sat through a math class, but it appears to me that someone's admitting to criminal activity on the interwebs (or hasn't found 5th gear).....

I too haul oil, but it's because I'm monitoring a seeping countershaft seal. So far no significant leaking, but a quart in the tank saddlebag is cheap insurance. Also helps block the wind on those early mornings when the temps are sub freezing.

I run 4300rpm at 65mph indicated with 16t front. No noticeable oil consumption. Before, running 5k rpm at 70mph indicated with 15t front is saw slight oil usage. 37k miles on stock motor (doo done) and it's been rode hard. Piston slap at startup, blow-by, etc but no significant oil usage.

.. well .. I have no performance documents (luckily) .. but now that I have the 16t front I expect to not have as much of an issue at 70mph .. uhh .. a "tad" over the speed limit .. as you pointed out, the 16t really makes a difference (as, amazingly, even with my big fanny the KLR can still pull that front wheel up with the 16t) .. helluva bike ..

.. actually .. I think 55K is now somewhere around 80mph .. but I ain't admittin' to nothing .. ahem .. maybe a tad higher ..

.. in reality .. the only time I ever see any real oil use is is on long highway trips .. like out to Joe's via I-40 or down to visit relatives in Florida or Alabama .. all interstate and only fuel stops .. and that's when I'm topping it off .. never very much .. not even a liter since I got her last spring and that's over the course of four or five 500+ mile trips on the interstates ..

.. occasionally I wander down some of our more beautiful back roads here in the Tar Heel State at maybe a little above the posted speed limit, and then the oil use ain't that bad, minimal even .. but I'm not hitting high speeds for hours at a time either ..

I agree though .. it's more of an urban legend than anything else .. based on half-truths and the '08s .. yeah .. that's the ticket .. the '08s .. it's their fault ..

.. and Canada's ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #872
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
.. very kewl ..

.. nicely done .. I like that .. good looking ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Check it out...
Upholstered my stock seat with an army issue duffle bag.

RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #873
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,750
ProCycle radiator bypass

I installed this today and I thought some of you might want to see it.

On the lift and ready to get to work.

Here is what came in the kit.

Removed the seat, tank and shrouds.

Removing the stock thermostat.

The new 180 degree thermostat. The only marking on it is FC1.

Getting ready to install the fitting into the machined spacer. I really need a new camera.

Adapter plate installed.

Then I renoved and cut the radiator hose to install the T connector for the other end of the bypass hose. I wish the T fitting was more angled like a Y because the T aimed the bypass hose right at the exhaust pipe. I zip tied it to keep from contacting the header but it's still a little close for comfort.

Then I tightened everything up and put the tank and seat back on. Here is a view before the shroud was reattached.

Another view from the rear.

And a closeup of the bypass hose connected to the T fitting.

I took the bike for a quick spin and it definitely warmed up faster. It also seemed to hold at a steadier temp while varying my speed. I only went for about ten miles so this is a very early and incomplete assessment but I will update as I get more miles with it. The temp gauge did not budge from the spot in this pic even after I let it sit and idle for a few minutes. I also noticed that the fan didn't come on when I shut it off after idling, which it normally does.

All in all, I am happy with the ProCycle unit. It came to $118 with shipping and I got to spend some time wrenching on the KLR which is like therapy for me. Like others have noted this is not really a necessary upgrade but I believe that it does provide some benefits and I'm glad that I did it.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill

ausfahrt screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 06:23 PM
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #874
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 783
looks slick

That looks like a pretty simple improvement to the cooling system, kinda makes the thermobob seem a bit over engineered, if I didn't already have one I'd do this.
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #875
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
The new 160 degree thermostat. The only marking on it is FC1.

Minor detail; ProCycle mentions a 180-degree thermostat (vs. 160) on their website.

Thanks for sharing details of your installation.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #876
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Minor detail; ProCycle mentions a 180-degree thermostat (vs. 160) on their website.

Thanks for sharing details of your installation.
I fixed my post. Thanks.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #877
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Check it out...
Upholstered my stock seat with an army issue duffle bag.

Holy crap man! That's freaking bad-ass! It looks like it was meant to be. I've been waiting to see what it looks like since you posted that you were doing it. Absolutely one of the most bad-ass killers out there.
Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #878
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
I installed this today and I thought some of you might want to see it.

Here is what came in the kit.

Thanks for the writeup and the pictures, even if the closeups do suck. I just did this a couple of weeks back on my 08. I haven't even gone for a ride since though, so I don't even know anything except what it does at idle, which is gets fairly warm (2/3's up) before the fan kicks in and brings it back down to a little less than 1/2. Since I live on the coast the temp never warmed up, and this is the first time I've even idled in the garage for more than 5 minutes. I'm excited to see what it'll do when I'm driving down the road. Oh, and you got stickers?!? I didn't! Maybe that's because I went into Procycle and picked up the thermostat bypass when I was over in Eugene...

Thanks again for the pics.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #879
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
KLR's are not notorious for oil consumption! I tire of hearing this statement made way to often! Not a rant but lets make a few points visibly clear............................

We are takling about a model with a production run of over twenty years. This problem came about when the model change was made in 2008. Very rarely do you hear any major "oil consumption" problem with pre '08 models. Admittedly there was a quality issue early on in the "new" series but the INTERNET exploded it to catastrophic levels. Do a little research and you will find little issue up to the last couple of years and most of it is self imposed.

In 2008 they changed the motorcycle to a more "highway" friendly model and along with it people, mistakenly, assumed they could ride at 75-80 mph on the interstate with no problem. The motor is still a single cylinder piston, the size of your fist, and high rpm's and aggressive speed takes a toll on that small cylinder and piston thereby using excessive amounts of oil.

How many times do you hear this "oil consumption" issue and in the same sentence they state "I run at 75 most of the time" or "I ride the interstate most of the time" ? The majority of the problem to most extent is caused by the rider and not a symptom of the quality of the motorcycle build. I own a 1998 and change oil at every 3000 miles and I never have had to add oil in between changes. I ride with guys on an 2008, 2009 and a 2010 and none of them have had any issue with oil consumption, ever! That being said they (we) ride backroads at 60ish mph or under, never ride interstates and generally ride in a "explorer" mode when not totally off road. I would most assuredly guarantee you if an owner rode at an under 5000rpm style they would most likely never have any issue.

Most folks don't ride at a slower pace but rather like to flog their bikes often and the KLR is not made for this style of riding. The KLR is a do everything motorcycle but not a modern designed, high tech bike that can withstand excessive stress on lower quality build materials. Wanna go fast, ride a sport-bike. Wanna just cruise, by a Harley. Wanna ride off road buy a street-able dirt-bike. Wanna do everything kinda OK, buy a KLR but do it within reason and expectations.

Don't blame the bike for something it's not designed to do.

back to regularly schedule discussion.................
I just have to quote this because I agree!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #880
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 530
Quote:

Certainly a cool look....but it scares the HELL out of me!! I would feel nervous if I saw you coming down the street toward me on that!!
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #881
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
^^^ that's one bad looking bike ^^^

Nice work. The turrets are very well hidden.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #882
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammason View Post
Thanks for the writeup and the pictures, even if the closeups do suck. I just did this a couple of weeks back on my 08. I haven't even gone for a ride since though, so I don't even know anything except what it does at idle, which is gets fairly warm (2/3's up) before the fan kicks in and brings it back down to a little less than 1/2. Since I live on the coast the temp never warmed up, and this is the first time I've even idled in the garage for more than 5 minutes. I'm excited to see what it'll do when I'm driving down the road. Oh, and you got stickers?!? I didn't! Maybe that's because I went into Procycle and picked up the thermostat bypass when I was over in Eugene...

How much was the kit ?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #883
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammason View Post

You need to go back and DEMAND your stickers!

-Winston Churchill
Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #884
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
How much was the kit ?
It came to just over $118 shipped.

-Winston Churchill
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #885
Gammason
08 Vespa GTS 250ie

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
You need to go back and DEMAND your stickers!
Hehe - next trip to Eugene....