Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #886
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,073
I picked up an 05 KLR with an IMS tank -- I immediately started searching for an appropriately shaped tank bag (mostly for the map pocket) and my tried and true RKA bag won't do on this tank . . . .

I occured to me I might be action out of habit -- are there ways to have a map readable on the bike other than a tank bag?

Signed, a re-entering dirt donk.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #887
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 618
Seen clear pockets that velcro onto sleeves of a jacket. Also are some that attach to your crossbar pad. Wolfman tank bags are designed for what you seek. Work excellent.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #888
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 347
KLR purchase?

I'm looking to buy a 2-5 year old KLR. Any suggestions on what I should look for in a used KLR and are some model years better than others? Also, what is a fair price for a used KLR?

I plan on riding the KLR at least 50% in the dirt.
lqgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #889
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Signs of abuse and amount of farkles already added to bike. I'd buy a bike either very new or past the 08 year and go with an earlier model. IF the 08 was a screaming deal I would look at one but would worry about if it had been let to drop in oil capacity and run low...head and lower end bearings will be damaged if it has. I would ask to see the cam bearings if I were to buy an 08.....if the seller refused I would walk. But if he would allow me to see, I's be more willing to pay his price for the priviledge and the inconvenience of showing me. I would also never buy a bike that had already been heavily off roaded......just too much else that could be wrong with it compared to a road used bike.

But that's just me.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #890
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
I've got a strange problem. Cut outa work early because it was in the 50's and fired the KLR up while I got dressed. Took off and got less than a mile from the house and it died while accelerating into top gear. Like someone hit the kill switch. No coughing or stuttering, just dead. Kick stand up or down, neutral or not, choke or not it would not start or even sound like it was trying. Plenty of gas. Walked back and got the trailer and got it home and tried to start again with no luck. Turns over fast.

Hopped on the XRL and haven't looked at the KLR real close yet. It's an 08 and I've never had an issue with it. Feels electrical to me. Been about two weeks since I last ran it.

Thoughts?

John
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #891
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,435
Did you have the wire harness recall done?

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #892
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Did you have the wire harness recall done?
Yes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #893
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,675
Check the main 20 amp fuse under the tank 1st. Then the other fuses under the seat. If not those, clutch and kickstand wiring, then harnesses under the seat and tank.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #894
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I've got a strange problem. Cut outa work early because it was in the 50's and fired the KLR up while I got dressed. Took off and got less than a mile from the house and it died while accelerating into top gear. Like someone hit the kill switch. No coughing or stuttering, just dead. Kick stand up or down, neutral or not, choke or not it would not start or even sound like it was trying. Plenty of gas. Walked back and got the trailer and got it home and tried to start again with no luck. Turns over fast.

Hopped on the XRL and haven't looked at the KLR real close yet. It's an 08 and I've never had an issue with it. Feels electrical to me. Been about two weeks since I last ran it.

Thoughts?

John

Drain your float bowl and try again!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #895
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Check the main 20 amp fuse under the tank 1st. Then the other fuses under the seat. If not those, clutch and kickstand wiring, then harnesses under the seat and tank.
Will do. Would it turn over with that main fuse blown? Headlights and indicator lights all are lit.

John
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #896
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Drain your float bowl and try again!
Off to work. I'll try that later. Supposed to be 58 this afternoon! I may play hookey again.

John
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #897
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Willy's,
I and many others have 08's and are very happy with them - some others in the 80K+ mile range already. Unless you have one, stop slamming them.

If I recall, your pre-08 has been extensively 'modded', 'rock solid' and failed in all sorts and many ways - over heating, replacement cylinder heads, oil leaks, piston failures, re-sleeved and oil usage to name a few far in excess of my and others 08's with higher milage than yours. Failures due to the model year you might have or a testament to your wrenching and advising abilities - ?

BE as objective as you can be, please. Stop mindlessly repeating tribal knowldge. Every year model has some issues. Any year, well taken care of and at a price the buyer wants to pay, will be a good buy.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #898
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Will do. Would it turn over with that main fuse blown? Headlights and indicator lights all are lit.

John
No it will not turn over, unless there is an issue with the fuse making partial contact. I have had that. But a good place to start and eliminate as many possiblities. While in there, if you have not already put with some dialectric grease on all connectors. With tha tank off while checking that, you can take the plug cap off and with a spare plug, check the spark.

Checking the carb for blockages is also good.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #899
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,435
I have an 08 with 28,000 mi, no problrms at all, only get,s low on oil if i run over 5000rpm for extended periods of time,i run a 16T sprocket and can run 80mph with no oil issues!

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #900
Dan Stark
You can't be serious.

Oddometer: 358
Fuel petcock. You may also have a vacuum problem in the tank. I had that issue on my '08. Sometimes jimmying the fuel lever will help or opening the filler cap. You can also look up the hurrican petcock mod and see if that might help address your symptoms.

Quote:

Thoughts?

John