willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Hmmmm....??? Interesting reading for a NOOB...IMHO
Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #992
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
Yes, there is plenty of material out there - all in that time frame. There is more too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Here are some things to read about the oil consumption issue.
Even Wikipedia mentions something about it.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...650/index.html

And a couple forums to read:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ty-issues.html

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5417

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #993
forman103
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
How about a little note from ex-klr noob who owns 08 model? So, I bought 08 KLR with 1700 miles on it back in January 2009. I was shocked to see how much oil it burned! Luckily, the bike was still under warranty and it was already 2009 when Kawasaki realized, that there's an issue with some of the bikes. After taking the bike to dealership and telling the story to the shop manager, I was informed that he will be happy to check what can be done to fix it. He called Kawi and verified that they will cover the cost and provide new part (piston ring I think) to fix the issue, which they did. It took approx 6 weeks for parts to arrive, because of the number of bikes affected. Did I like it?? Hell no!! Did they fix the problem? Yes!
After that lil episode was resolved, the other issue hit me: random stalling... it drove me fucking nuts. Went for a ride, got stranded, randomly started, made it home. Several times... One can imagine how the owner of almost brand new bike feels...wtf did I get myself into?? Checked the wiring, posted on the forums, modified petcock, removed tank vent seals etc... It really sucked and that was before Kawi officially recalled....wiring harness!!! (not to mention mufflers falling off lol). Anyways, the bottom line is, that for the money paid, one can expect the bike, without all these issues. That's a little to much . I still own the bike and love it...it's just the fact, that if I only knew, I'd wait for the next year's model. Just my noob input here . Am I going to be banned now? btw I'm planning the trip to Alaska this summer, on that 08 klr muahahaha, it runs like a champ for past 2.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Here are some things to read about the oil consumption issue.
Even Wikipedia mentions something about it.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...650/index.html

And a couple forums to read:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ty-issues.html

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5417

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650
forman103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #994
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

I proudly stand accused of, " It is you who is doing the KLR community a disservice by not talking openly about this issue for the benefit of the new soon to be owners of the KLR.. " by an individual who now has his head buried further into the 'doo' of his own making, or rear end, by blocking responses from any person who is likely to enlighten him to his own follys. For the rest, enjoy!

I have tabled a list, at the risk of now really scaring any prospect away from an 08 or any KLR, forever, of design, assembly and pre-delivery issues! Most riders would probably not be aware, or need to be aware of most items - or ride on in blisfull, happy and safe ignorance.

I can attest to it being a real list. Not imagined. Not plagerised from some board or forum either, or think I may have heard something from someone, but from a specific bike that is in my garage in TX and bought new in August of 07. It now has 38K miles, has been ridden to Mexico including Copper Canyon 4X, Big Bend 4X, OK and AR 2X.. Richmond VA through 15 States and back 2X. Through WY, MT, Alberta and BC Canada and all over Texas. It is going great, does not use or leak oil (I upgraded to a 685 at 11k miles) and it should take me to FL and NC in a few months time. It has never let me down on the road. I am happy with it. It is a keeper next to the 05 BMW with 50K on it. Both get ridden- 88K miles total since May of 05 between both. Neither are garage, trailer queens or butt jewelry!

Also, in wrenching on it, I have not to date had to do anything over again, take anything apart due to leaks or screw ups. I have not had anything loosten or fall off the bike. The only on road issues I have had are a flat tire and a main fuse blow - the reason is a mystery. A testament to an 08KLR!

List of KLR 08 'faults' found;
1. Rubber used on the indicator lights and well-nuts perished quickly.
2. Rear shock pre-load adjuster stripped out at 1st adjustment.
3. Main Harness rubbed through shorting 3X places.
4. Conductors to the main igniton coil can wear through and short.
5. Main harness going passed the fuel tank to the headlight can rub through.
6. Exhaust bolt not torqued correctly.
7. Odometer reset button can stick.
8. Steering head sometimes not properly greased.
9. Rear swing arm sometimes not properly greased.
10. Front forks not inserted correctly in the tree.
11. Front stem bolt not properly tightened.
12. Right rear indicator harness can bind and short under the seat if not properly routed.
13. Rear red reflectors not supplied on some bikes
14. Valve clearances not to proper tolerance
15. Not enough spring tension on the doo spring.
16."Doo' too loose on the shaft
17. Headlights not set to the correct elevation with average sag
18. Starter idler gear shaft hole bored too deep.
19. Coolant puke bottle top loose.
20. Re-designed piston ring tension inadequate.
21. Front cylinder head stud protrudes into the exhaust port.
22. Un-equal levels of hydraulic fluid in the front shocks
23. Loose stem head bearing adjustment.
24. Rear stop light switch adjusted incorrectly
25. Casting burrs left on the waterpump impellor. Can cause cavitation
26. Side stand too long - it is possible for the bike to be blown over particualrly if panniers are installed.
27. Rear swing arm frame support- a hole on the left side that allows water from the rear wheel in that can cause that long bolt to corrode inside.
28. Front brake master cyliner reservoiur cap screws may corrode.
29. Both front and rear wheels were 1/4 oz out of true balance
30. Some gas caps dont vent properly.
31. Rear swing arm alignment marks not always equal.
32. Rear shock spring not rated for most US riders causing excessive sag.

Are there fixes for all of these - absolutely!

Now as for other upgrades and modifications - another longer list for another day.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 04:39 PM
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #995
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I proudly stand accused of, " It is you who is doing the KLR community a disservice by not talking openly about this issue for the benefit of the new soon to be owners of the KLR.. " by an individual who now has his head buried further into the 'doo' of his own making, or rear end, by blocking responses from any person who is likely to enlighten him to his own follys. For the rest, enjoy!

I have tabled a list, at the risk of now really scaring any prospect away from an 08 or any KLR, forever, of design, assembly and pre-delivery issues! Most riders would probably not be aware, or need to be aware of most items - or ride on in blisfull, happy and safe ignorance.

I can attest to it being a real list. Not imagined. Not plagerised from some board or forum either, or think I may have heard something from someone, but from a specific bike that is in my garage in TX and bought new in August of 07. It now has 38K miles, has been ridden to Mexico including Copper Canyon 4X, Big Bend 4X, OK and AR 2X.. Richmond VA through 15 States and back 2X. Through WY, MT, Alberta and BC Canada and all over Texas. It is going great, does not use or leak oil (I upgraded to a 685 at 11k miles) and it should take me to FL and NC in a few months time. It has never let me down on the road. I am happy with it. It is a keeper next to the 05 BMW with 50K on it. Both get ridden- 88K miles total since May of 05 between both. Neither are garage, trailer queens or butt jewelry!

Also, in wrenching on it, I have not to date had to do anything over again, take anything apart due to leaks or screw ups. I have not had anything loosten or fall off the bike. The only on road issues I have had are a flat tire and a main fuse blow - the reason is a mystery. A testament to an 08KLR!

12. Right rear indicator harness can bind and short under the seat if not properly routed.
26. Side stand too long - it is possible for the bike to be blown over particualrly if panniers are installed.
27. Rear swing arm frame support- a hole on the left side that allows water from the rear wheel in that can cause that long bolt to corrode inside.

Now as for other upgrades and modifications - another longer list for another day.

Took you long enough!!!

A good list to scare the daylights out of any new owner from buying a bike I'm sure of any year and any make...but we are discussing the KLR 08's as an example which was the worst year Kawi made the KLR.....if that list is a true example of some of the things that could go wrong with an 08 KLR. Especially IF they can't do some of the work for themselves!

Now...is this list typical for just the 08 year bike or many years of KLRs? Becuase some of those things are trivial things just not done correctly as pre delivery inspection......such as fork hieghts in the triple trees and fluid height and a few others. That is the dealerships who is responsible for that.....no?

So why not hand this list up at the start of this arguement and there wouldn't have been all of this mudslinging etc? Anyone who has worked on KLRs already knows of all these issues. I was trying to bring them out into the open, granted not as specificly as you have and made it sound a damned sight worse may I add! To help noobs know what they could be getting themselves into when looking at specific years. Also to help them look for specific issues when deciding on which bike to buy.

It is obvious that many love thier 08 KLR's and wouldn't they if they have had these issues dealt with....

But hey...continue on.....you're doing so well now without me....lol Being truthfull and open about the real issues which plague this year of production. Do you also know which serial numbers that were effected or dates from which the production was effected? No I don't so don't ask....but if you ask Wattman, perhaps he will share that info with you....? As I stated earlier.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #996
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:

Yes, these issues exist, mine being a Feb 08 build had 1, 5, 6, 9 (and a grease seal missing), 15, 16, 18, 26, 31 and 32 and Most of them should have been fixed by a 1/2 decent pre-delivery inspection at the dealers and avoided the customer even hearing about them.

KLR's aren't the best bike around, but are the best I could afford. Also basic enough so I could do all my own maintenance, and I think that is another problem for the KLR: Too many are worked on by backyard mechanics with enough knowledge to get them into trouble.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #997
Hillbillyburg
n00b forever

Oddometer: 40
OKAY! that's it , Tsotsie is secretly in lust with Willys !!!!!...... must be, as he has had more communication with Willys in the last week than I have had with my own wife!!!!..... and I love her..........but then again based on the amount of communication between T & W, maybe not????

Frick it, just do us all a favour and the both of you get a room will ya.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #998
dirthackjob
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New to ADV

Just read some of the 08 posts, glad I have a 06! Just kidding! I am interested in the engine upgrades, but may wait until it needs engine work before I take that step. I also hacked the bike last spring using the DMC subframe and leading link frontend and loving it....am an old hack nut!
later!
dirthackjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #999
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post

Now...is this list typical for just the 08 year bike or many years of KLRs? Becuase some of those things are trivial things just not done correctly as pre delivery inspection......such as fork hieghts in the triple trees and fluid height and a few others. That is the dealerships who is responsible for that.....no?

It is obvious that many love thier 08 KLR's and wouldn't they if they have had these issues dealt with....

But hey...continue on.....you're doing so well now without me....lol Being truthfull and open about the real issues which plague this year of production. Do you also know which serial numbers that were effected or dates from which the production was effected? No I don't so don't ask....but if you ask Wattman, perhaps he will share that info with you....?
If you took the time to understand my post you will have picked up that the comments are related to a particular bike with no claims of universal KLR coverage ( "-but from a specific bike..") though many of the items are shared between model years. That the the statement " I have tabled a list, at the risk of now really scaring any prospect away from an 08 or any KLR, forever, of design, assembly and pre-delivery issues! Most riders would probably not be aware, or need to be aware of most items - or ride on in blisfull, happy and safe ignorance" was included specifically to anticipate and answer your type question.

Being truthfull and open - dont patronize others or confuse yourself with your own babblings

Am I aware of serial numbers of affected bikes? Yes, for a long time - for various issues! I was not born under a rock! Wattman and I have a long standing friendship outside of forums dating back years.
Another serious fault of the 08+ bikes (and some other years),

33. Usually loaded with panneirs travelling at speeds in excess of 75 mph with side winds an occilliation originating at the front forks moving back through the head and frame can cause a serious tank slapper. I am aware of 4 riders down and two who had to be airlifted out. This can be mitigated by dialing up on the rear shock pre-load (or, having a proper rear spring rating for the rider and load weight) and moving more personal weight onto the front wheel.

Other issues,
34. Excessive assembly gasket sealant can block the oil gause pre-filter.
35. (Rare). Rear counter balancer bearing failure.
36. Also rare, idler sprocket counter balancer bearing failure.

Move in with Willy's - never, but I would like to give his MIL a medal! She has him dialed in!

I still enjoy the KLR - it is a keeper!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 01:13 AM
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #1000
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyburg View Post
OKAY! that's it , Tsotsie is secretly in lust with Willys !!!!!...... must be, as he has had more communication with Willys in the last week than I have had with my own wife!!!!..... and I love her..........but then again based on the amount of communication between T & W, maybe not????

Frick it, just do us all a favour and the both of you get a room will ya.

++++100000

will you two just stop it for Christs sake. It really really makes me tired and never wanting to return to this thread............................your fucking pissing contest sucks so STFU

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #1001
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Motoboss,
Here is a sanitized list of 08 issues for you to read.

33. Another serious fault of the 08+ bikes (and some other years),
Usually loaded with panneirs travelling at speeds in excess of 75 mph with side winds an occilliation originating at the front forks moving back through the head and frame can cause a serious tank slapper. I am aware of 4 riders down and two who had to be airlifted out. This can be mitigated by dialing up on the rear shock pre-load (or, having a proper rear spring rating for the rider and load weight) and moving more personal weight onto the front wheel.

I still enjoy the KLR - it is a keeper! Are there fixes for all of these - absolutely!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #1002
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthackjob View Post
Just read some of the 08 posts, glad I have a 06! Just kidding! I am interested in the engine upgrades, but may wait until it needs engine work before I take that step. I also hacked the bike last spring using the DMC subframe and leading link frontend and loving it....am an old hack nut!
later!

I seriousl;y thought about a hack a couple of years ago to get my misses to join me, but she wasn't interested in sitting out in the open as she put it.....oh well.
But I'm always interested in how and what you did to get it all together. Any pics?? If so please share.

As for the engine work, seriously concider the 685 kit even alone as a good torque adder. It is an obvious felt modification and will increase the ability of the bike to cruise up hills etc. It's just an overall good mod.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #1003
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Motoboss,
Here is a sanitized list of 08 issues for you to read.

33. Another serious fault of the 08+ bikes (and some other years),
Usually loaded with panneirs travelling at speeds in excess of 75 mph with side winds an occilliation originating at the front forks moving back through the head and frame can cause a serious tank slapper. I am aware of 4 riders down and two who had to be airlifted out. This can be mitigated by dialing up on the rear shock pre-load (or, having a proper rear spring rating for the rider and load weight) and moving more personal weight onto the front wheel.

I still enjoy the KLR - it is a keeper! Are there fixes for all of these - absolutely!

Hot diggity dogs, I'm a gonna run out and buy one!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #1004
Hillbillyburg
n00b forever

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
Hot diggity dogs, I'm a gonna run out and buy one!
I am too......then I'm taking it over to Tsotsie's place to have him fix it as he is the "be all and know all" of the KLR universe.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #1005
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,846
No advocacy, but . . . just a trip down Memory Lane!

If memory serves, back in the '08 excessive-oil-use-panic days, a couple of "work-around" solutions were offered, by some.

1. The PCV Valve Mod (regaled by some as a panacea; by others as a placebo) CURES any and all excessive oil consumption; and:

2. Excessive oil consumption in '08 models results from LACK of a Thermo-Bob installation.

In hindsight, piston ring design and/or manufacture may instead have been at issue; don't hear much about oil guzzling with more recent models.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote