Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #1141
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4 View Post
So seeing the list of "issues" with the 2008 I am hessitant to pull trigger. I had lined one up with 350 mi on it. No issues know by owner. just a guy who basically rode it home and parked it. Confused about what to do now. Take a chance? thanks for the help.

It all depends.

If you like to use your hands, want to learn to wrench and become independant of bike shops, any and all KLR's are simple and a great way to learn. All KLR's (And most other bikes too) have some issues. If you plan to use the bike to tour etc, what better way to learn and then ride! Most 'issues' on the internet are just that - internet alarmist babble!

The oil burning issue is not just confined to the 08. For the year 08 the rings were changed to address the oil burning for models prior to 08. They did not do a good job and had to redesign them again in 09.

38K great miles and going - never been stuck on the side of the road - from Mexico to Canada and lots of places in-between, on and off road - on an 08!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 05:28 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #1142
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
1. Are you guys re-using the cotter pin on the rear axle?

2. Do anybody have a .pdf (or something) laying-out the correct method for removing/re-installing the front wheel (with corresponding torque values)?

TIA...

I can figure-out #2. However, I would just rather do it correctly (if there is a proper sequence).

On the rear axle, I use one of these:

As an extra measure, I bend that lower-left tab a bit so it "keeps" in place a bit more soundly. I will say that I HAVE lost them in the past, but my level of off-roading with the KLR is probably non-typical. I insert them from the front, bottom direction so they don't get bumped out of the axle.

For the front, I find that a traditional cotter pin is best because
1) it seems to impact way more stuff, so lower-profile is best
2) front flats are rare

As for your second question, there is no need to remove the front caliper to remove the front wheel. The rear, on the other hand, is a major PITA and I'll almost always remove the caliper.

I've never used a torque wrench to change a tire.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #1143
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,014
You can use a clip pin from the hardware store. Easier to use (and reuse).
No special order, but make sure you don't loose spacers and keep the speedo gear assembly clean (and greased). One trick is to get the speedo gear tabs into the resets in the hub or you will bend them (they can be straightened).

As said before 'good-n-tight" but not so tight as you can't remove the nut on the road with a large adjustable wrench.

Quote:
1. Are you guys re-using the cotter pin on the rear axle?

2. Do anybody have a .pdf (or something) laying-out the correct method for removing/re-installing the front wheel (with corresponding torque values)?

TIA...

I can figure-out #2. However, I would just rather do it correctly (if there is a proper sequence).

Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #1144
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
pics

here's my new (to me) '89 KLR i picked up from an inmate here 2 days ago.

it came with the appropriate farkles i.e. zip ties.

there's progressive springs up front which makes the rear feel like crap especially since it's still stock. that's on the to do list as well as thermo-bob and replacing the radiator hose. speaking of which i know i can use the Goodyear #63936 but do i have to order it online or would a commercial store like autozone, strauss, pepboys etc have them.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #1145
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
What part of PA? I live in Philly.
We head down to Philly quite often for Cheese Steak Sandwiches :) last year I think we made 5 runs down to Philly. Once we even visited Eastern State Penitentiary. We will be heading down again on March 3rd. The picture you quoted was taken in Parsippany NJ on our way to Birdsboro PA to explore an abandoned Steel Foundry.

BushwickKLR screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 08:09 AM
BushwickKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #1146
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
here's my new (to me) '89 KLR i picked up from an inmate here 2 days ago.

there's progressive springs up front which makes the rear feel like crap especially since it's still stock. that's on the to do list as well as thermo-bob and replacing the radiator hose. speaking of which i know i can use the Goodyear #63936 but do i have to order it online or would a commercial store like autozone, strauss, pepboys etc have them.
Nice lookin' Barbie year....Congrats!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #1147
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
We head down to Philly quite often for Cheese Steak Sandwiches :) last year I think we made 5 runs down to Philly. Once we even visited Eastern State Penitentiary. We will be heading down again on March 3rd. The picture you quoted was taken in Parsippany NJ on our way to Birdsboro PA to explore an abandoned Steel Foundry.
ESP is a cool prison. Been there for Halloween.
I'd meet up for a cheesesteak, but I won't be able to this time.
I'm having surgery on my right shoulder Wednesday due to a labrum tear I suffered at the Pine Barrens 300 back in November.
I'm hoping I'll be recovered enough for the PB300 in April.
It's a fun ride.
Now the question is: Pat's or Geno's?
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #1148
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,461
Tsotsie, bigdon, and DirtyDog,

Thank you for the replies.

I'm a complete dumbass, and forgot to mention that my bike is a Gen. II. (which has four axle clamp screws on the front forks...two on each side). It appears that the sequence would be similar to that of a KaTooM (which also has four clamp screws).

WTH is wrong with KHI? I have never had a dualsport that did have very specific instructions, for front and rear tire R&R, in the owner's manual.

On a separate note, I'm still amazed at all the folks who don't use torque wrenches...mostly because I'm Obsessive-Compulsive.

I don't do trailside repairs, as I don't really wander that far from the house (<150 miles), and don't do multi-day trips in the middle of nowhere. However, despite that, I learned a trick from inmate "CJRacer" (Craig). Whenever I torque-down a wheel, at home, I mark the nut placement with a permanent "Sharpie". That way, if I'm away from my beloved torque wrench(es), I can still get things tightened pretty close to spec.

You guys are awesome...thanks again.

Oh, and uhhh, this is the understatement of the year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
...but my level of off-roading with the KLR is probably non-typical...

DirtyDog, I saw your friend "submarine" his green KLR.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #1149
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ESP is a cool prison. Been there for Halloween.
I'd meet up for a cheesesteak, but I won't be able to this time.
I'm having surgery on my right shoulder Wednesday due to a labrum tear I suffered at the Pine Barrens 300 back in November.
I'm hoping I'll be recovered enough for the PB300 in April.
It's a fun ride.
Now the question is: Pat's or Geno's?

Sorry to hear about the injury and the upcoming surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Oh I'm not opening that can of worms! I prefer Jims Steaks but March 3rd we are meeting up at Pats & Genos we will flip a coin to see where we eat :)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #1150
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,480
Quote:
...DirtyDog, I saw your friend "submarine" his green KLR.

Yep, Newner is a sucker and will follow me anywhere.

He's good to have around though to help lift the KLR off my ass... former pro football player.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #1151
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Tsotsie, bigdon, and DirtyDog,

Thank you for the replies.

I'm a complete dumbass,
WTH is wrong with KHI? I have never had a dualsport that did have very specific instructions, for front and rear tire R&R, in the owner's manual.

On a separate note, I'm still amazed at all the folks who don't use torque wrenches...mostly because I'm Obsessive-Compulsive.

I don't do trailside repairs, .

You guys are awesome...thanks again.

Oh, and uhhh, this is the understatement of the year...

DirtyDog, I saw your friend "submarine" his green KLR.
-You are welcome
-You are smart enough to ask! That is good!
-Instructions- it is a KLR! Welcome to the ride.
-Torque wrench use? Some do, some dont, others will not admit their cross threaded screw-up's. There are plenty of posts all over of, '... how do I fix...? I always do use one but dont carry one on a ride.
-Dont do trail side repairs - great if you have the back -up. As some of us are 2K miles from home (or 5 miles), it is good to be able to fix and keep going without the need to rely on other hacks worse than ourselves!
-There are a lot of helpful riders. There are others who ...well it is the internet, so take what your are given with a pinch of salt.

Thank you for the compliments anyway.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #1152
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the injury and the upcoming surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Oh I'm not opening that can of worms! I prefer Jims Steaks but March 3rd we are meeting up at Pats & Genos we will flip a coin to see where we eat :)
Are you referring to Jim's on South Street? If so, LOVE their steaks.
I'm a Geno's type of guy. Pat's kind of lost it for me.
Thanks for the well wishes.
There is a long recovery on this repair.
I had it done on my left shoulder in 2008.
I'm really not looking forward to being immobilized for 30 days and the painful rehab.
I just hope I can make the West Virginia camping trip to Laurel Fork the end of April.
Enjoy the steaks!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1153
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are you referring to Jim's on South Street? If so, LOVE their steaks.
That's the Jim's I was talking about.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #1154
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
That's the Jim's I was talking about.
We'll definitely have to meet up there for some steaks.
Hell. I'll even treat!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #1155
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post

Bloody hell , if the progressive springs in the front make the rear feel like crap then their must be something seriously and I mean SERIOUSLY wrong with the rear suspension.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote